New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #1,293 of 3,599

Very short after their release in Oct 2007 folks reported that models that they have been audition were differ sounding.

I am not totally sure which one I had, first run or first later run ( think later one ), but the only way to tell is to know their production date maybe, but if you buy them now, only ESW9A are up there http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9A-Portable-Wooden-Headphones/dp/B002FTIDQC

Funny MSRP price on Amazon, USD 749,95
blink.gif

I sold my pair in the beginning of 2009 http://www.head-fi.org/t/402701/sold-audio-technica-ath-esw9-eu-uk , so, I think I got them in 2008, must be the later first run.

Quote:
How does one know whether it's an ESW9 or ESW9A?
It doesn't say on the online stores or for sale threads here.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #1,294 of 3,599
I'm pretty sure the designation is just a name. Regardless of whether you get them in the US or from Japan, they'll be the latest version.

I actually think the later version is improved sonically. To my ears, there's less difference between the new ESW9 and the ESW10JPN.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #1,296 of 3,599
Thanks for all the info. 
I'll check Amazon UK then, will save me on import.
And if I ever find a pair of ESW10JPN I'll be able to copmare them.

I hope you guys and girls don't mind me posting a picture of some other woodies here that just arrived on my doorstep.
I'm just so happy and in love with them I can't resist. The vintage B&W Preference 6's.  :)
The picture is not taken by me though but by the shop that sold them. They're perfectly mint cosmetically and sonically!

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,297 of 3,599
With ESW10JPN it's funny... It's one of my least-used headphones just because it simply isn't practical enough on most days...They're limited to being my library cans most of the time.  It's on-ear so it's difficult comfort wise to wear for long listening sessions at home... and it's not suitable for outdoor use on most occasions as they don't isolate well enough and you're really risking damaging those beautiful looking woodcups by wearing it outdoors... and yet, they sound so good (and to my ears, has one of the best overall sound signature balance from top to bottom; the mids are more forward than neutral but then I do like my mids a bit upfront) and look too damn beautiful that I never really have seriously considered selling it.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,298 of 3,599

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. 
I'll check Amazon UK then, will save me on import.
And if I ever find a pair of ESW10JPN I'll be able to copmare them.

I hope you guys and girls don't mind me posting a picture of some other woodies here that just arrived on my doorstep.
I'm just so happy and in love with them I can't resist. The vintage B&W Preference 6's.  :)
The picture is not taken by me though but by the shop that sold them. They're perfectly mint cosmetically and sonically!

Congratulations on those vintage B&W's.  I've wanted to get into speakers, but can never justify the cost without a good room to set them up with my current living situation.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,299 of 3,599
Just a mention, for those who like collecting the AT woodies, there is a W2002 on Yahoo Japan auctions.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,301 of 3,599

Quote:
With ESW10JPN it's funny... It's one of my least-used headphones just because it simply isn't practical enough on most days...They're limited to being my library cans most of the time.  It's on-ear so it's difficult comfort wise to wear for long listening sessions at home... and it's not suitable for outdoor use on most occasions as they don't isolate well enough and you're really risking damaging those beautiful looking woodcups by wearing it outdoors... and yet, they sound so good (and to my ears, has one of the best overall sound signature balance from top to bottom; the mids are more forward than neutral but then I do like my mids a bit upfront) and look too damn beautiful that I never really have seriously considered selling it.

I however do seriously think you seriously need to start to consider selling them as soon as possible.
There is no need to go through all the trouble of listing a classified and all that though, a PM to me will do just fine.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Just a mention, for those who like collecting the AT woodies, there is a W2002 on Yahoo Japan auctions.

I think MuppetFace should go get it!  

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,303 of 3,599

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not too interested in full-sized headphones these days. The TH900 is really the only headphone on the horizon that I'm actively lusting after.

I'm mostly into IEMs and portable audio at the moment. 
etysmile.gif

Ah, but hopefully the AT woodies in your collection are prominently displayed at home so that you can enjoy them like the works of art that they are.  I use my customs at work, but do switch back to full size if I'm listening to music at home. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,304 of 3,599
Otus, I've been listening to the ES-10 for bout two hours now.
Didn't compare to the W3000 since I don't see the point of it.
I'll post my impressions here tomorrow since I'm way too tired now.

Just wanted to post this:
Anyone know the feeling of lying down your head in a thick, medium soft pillow when you're really tired?
Well, that's what the L3000 feels like now I just put it on my head. :)

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,305 of 3,599
I don't see the point of not comparing. ;D Obviously they're not competing in the same league, but still it's interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back