New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 24, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #451 of 3,599
I personally think wa2 is great match for w5000 and with right tubes and music even better than ha5000. I do not want to start forum drama either . But I think if you like ss sound - zana and for warm side wa2 or wa22.( only brief encounter on wa22). Matter of preference. Warmer than w5000 like in good way -detail still there just more body or in bad way -loss of clarity?

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #454 of 3,599
Quote:
thats the situation im in right now..

but if zana deux handles quite well with w3000anv then i could hold off buying a dac  and live with just the amp.
 for a while.

i hope someone will post ha-02 + w3000anv review soon

Audio Tech, IMO, are more sensitive to source than a good amp. If your current DAC isn't that good, I think it's more ideal to get a good DAC and wait for the amplifier if you decide that you still need one. I'm personally very happy with the W3000ANV straight out my Anedio D1 DAC, but I'm curious what some of the best matched amplifers can do.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #455 of 3,599

Quote:
Audio Tech, IMO, are more sensitive to source than a good amp. If your current DAC isn't that good, I think it's more ideal to get a good DAC and wait for the amplifier if you decide that you still need one. I'm personally very happy with the W3000ANV straight out my Anedio D1 DAC, but I'm curious what some of the best matched amplifers can do.

I agree about sources being the biggest determining factor of overall sound quality. But then, imo, that applies in most cases.

I think there's a trend among head-fiers these days to buy expensive headphones and pair them with relatively cheap amplifiers and sources. I can see the logic behind that only if you're planning on upgrading them down the road.

And just to totally sound hypocritical, I think the W3000ANV sound surprisingly good straight from a MacBook.

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #456 of 3,599
It would seem that PriceJapan has sold out of their allotment of HA5000ANV amps. Hopefully mine will ship soon!

Also now that I've got a pair of W1000 (the original) coming my way, I'm really tempted to order the Yammy HA-02 as well. I'd probably sell the one I liked less.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #457 of 3,599
I still have not received mine. FedEx stinks, a lot. I'm getting really pissed about this.
mad.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #460 of 3,599
I suppose the estimated delivery, 28th, is really true. There's no way I could express my feelings without some serious profanity. I paid over 100€ for a DHL delivery, and I get this?!

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #461 of 3,599
Long time AT user here. The bass is of better quality than that of W1000, W1000X or W5000. It's more vivid and focused. However, the king of AT bass is still the Ath-L3000.

My biggest complaint is the fit. It needs adjustment, just like the W5000. Of course it is user specific. But if you have a "narrow," smallish head, you will probably need to adjust them.

On the general sound, they are very detailed and mids reach out nicely. Of the AT woody line up, I'll propose they fit in to the W2002 general sound family, however, they have a fuller sound signature, making them much more balanced to my ears.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #463 of 3,599
My friday was supposed to be fun too, I even took it off from work, but there's no chance I'll get the phones. Thank you FedEx! Enough with the rant, I'll just enjoy my ATH-W1000X.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #464 of 3,599

Quote:
It would seem that PriceJapan has sold out of their allotment of HA5000ANV amps. Hopefully mine will ship soon!

Also now that I've got a pair of W1000 (the original) coming my way, I'm really tempted to order the Yammy HA-02 as well. I'd probably sell the one I liked less.

I can't wait to see what you think! The HA5000 is still on the top of my list because of the ease of solid state and my limited desk space.

Quote:
I still have not received mine. FedEx stinks, a lot. I'm getting really pissed about this.
mad.gif

Dude, that blows man, but I really hope you'll like them when you receive them.

Quote:
Long time AT user here. The bass is of better quality than that of W1000, W1000X or W5000. It's more vivid and focused. However, the king of AT bass is still the Ath-L3000.

My biggest complaint is the fit. It needs adjustment, just like the W5000. Of course it is user specific. But if you have a "narrow," smallish head, you will probably need to adjust them.

On the general sound, they are very detailed and mids reach out nicely. Of the AT woody line up, I'll propose they fit in to the W2002 general sound family, however, they have a fuller sound signature, making them much more balanced to my ears.

I agree. They reminded me a lot of the W2002, but in my opinion, I think they are improved dramatically over the W2002. If you don't mind me asking, how are the mids on the L3000 compared to the W3000?

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #465 of 3,599
Both headphones have good midrange presentation. However, the L3000 have a specific coloration that is a bit hard to pinpoint depending on the amplification.

In terms of comfort, the L3000 have a "plusher" fit and are heavier. The L3000 cable is obtrusive enough that you are pretty much aware of it at all times. On the other hand, the W3000anv are lighter and the cable albeit stiffer than that of let's say W1000 or W2002, is not in the way. HTH 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back