New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #421 of 3,599

Quote:
I would consider Audio-Technica's own amps, but I'm afraid the gain is as high as my current solid state amp. At least the maximum output is a bit higher. With right tubes I liked my X-Can V8P a lot with ATH-W1000X by the way.

I never liked the W1000X from the X-Can V8P but I never cared for tube rolling. As of the moment I'm just using the headphone out from my D1. It has a good digital volume control so that is not a concern to me. I am eager in getting myself a Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2 though. Just waiting for the final impressions of project86.

biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #422 of 3,599

Quote:
The WA6/SE is not a good example. Given its modest price, it would appear that too much money was spent on the dual chassis and tube rectification rather than quality transformers.

I see... You have any recommendations you have in mind?

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #423 of 3,599

Quote:

For me, the quantity is a tad too light from the perfect amount. I've been compensating by using an EQ. The W3000 doesn't get more congested when I shelve it like this at around from -6 db initially to -3 db currently. So I think it has the capacity to handle more bass with the help of it's HA5000 amp. Just an assumption though. The extension is very good.

To any W3000ANV users here, if you think the bass is too light, I ask you to try this type of EQing down -3db. It may not seem like a lot but the change to all those frequencies is enough. The W3000ANV really changes to become a powerful rock and pop headphone from a previously unparalleled vocal headphone. I suspect it is the DADS system that makes it so responsive to bass and slam so good.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #424 of 3,599
AT-HA5000ANV arriving tomorrow.  I bought some new RCA cables to connect to my RWA Isabellina DAC, although Radio Shack (The Source) did not have much choice. 

Setup:  MacBook Pro USB>Isabelilna NOS DAC USB>AT-HA5000ANV>W3000ANV.  I also will be using a Churi 100W transformer for North American AC specs as the AT-HA5000ANV is 100V.

I will try to provide some impressions vs using the RWA Isabellina HPA amp section.  

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #425 of 3,599

Quote:

I see... You have any recommendations you have in mind?

Currently nothing under $1800 except the Apex Peak (without the Volcano power supply.) The last great all-tubes deal was the Super 7 at its intro price of $1300. You could try building (or finding used) Cavalli's hybrid designs like the EHHA. Build the MOSFET version with another board for balanced output and you are all set. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #426 of 3,599

Quote:
AT-HA5000ANV arriving tomorrow.  I bought some new RCA cables to connect to my RWA Isabellina DAC, although Radio Shack (The Source) did not have much choice. 

Setup:  MacBook Pro USB>Isabelilna NOS DAC USB>AT-HA5000ANV>W3000ANV.  I also will be using a Churi 100W transformer for North American AC specs as the AT-HA5000ANV is 100V.

I will try to provide some impressions vs using the RWA Isabellina HPA amp section.  

Please do! I look forward to your thoughts. It would definitely help me decide.

Quote:
Currently nothing under $1800 except the Apex Peak (without the Volcano power supply.) The last great all-tubes deal was the Super 7 at its intro price of $1300. You could try building (or finding used) Cavalli's hybrid designs like the EHHA. Build the MOSFET version with another board for balanced output and you are all set. 

With tax season coming up soon, I don't think I will have the time to spend building, though I would like to build a nice dynamic tube amp and a KGSSHV.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #427 of 3,599
The only tube amp under $2000 that I've been impressed by recently was the DNA Sonett. The Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 is another sub-$2000 one I'd really like to spend some time with, as I suspect it would be to my liking. The $2500 Eddie Current Zana Deux SE is a little over the mark, but I really love that amp and whole heartedly recommend it. Very resolving and detailed. Analytic for a tube amp. My favorite paring with the W3000ANV thus far has been the Zana Dexu SE.

Personally, my experience with Woo hasn't been positive. I don't want to get into it here though, as I know it's a popular brand and people get a bit touchy about these things. Forum drama is the last thing I want to bother with tonight.

My point is, Woo isn't the only show in town. You should definitely consider the Yammy HA-02 or the DNA Sonett as well for a similar price as the WA6SE.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #428 of 3,599

Quote:
The only tube amp under $2000 that I've been impressed by recently was the DNA Sonett. The Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 is another sub-$2000 one I'd really like to spend some time with, as I suspect it would be to my liking. The $2500 Eddie Current Zana Deux SE is a little over the mark, but I really love that amp and whole heartedly recommend it. Very resolving and detailed. Analytic for a tube amp. My favorite paring with the W3000ANV thus far has been the Zana Dexu SE.

Personally, my experience with Woo hasn't been positive. I don't want to get into it here though, as I know it's a popular brand and people get a bit touchy about these things. Forum drama is the last thing I want to bother with tonight.

My point is, Woo isn't the only show in town. You should definitely consider the Yammy HA-02 or the DNA Sonett as well for a similar price as the WA6SE.

Hey MuppetFace, could you make a comparison between the L3000 and W3000ANV? Are there any similarities? And the Zana Deux SE just hit my "of interest" list.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #430 of 3,599

Quote:

Hey MuppetFace, could you make a comparison between the L3000 and W3000ANV? Are there any similarities? And the Zana Deux SE just hit my "of interest" list.

Sure, but it will have to wait until I'm back from my parents' house for the holidays. Hopefully by that point I'll have the HA5000ANV and can try the L3000 and W3000ANV out on it!

Even though I don't have any gear over here, I've still brought my W3000ANV along to listen out of my notebook. It'll be my only headphone for the next four days, and I really don't mind that.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #431 of 3,599

Quote:
is yammy ha-02 still worth to shot in these days?

The price has been increased from 800 to 1300 in USD, while no change in JPY .

In my humble opinion, at $1300 the HA-02 is still a good buy. Especially when you consider the craftsmanship and design that went into the unit. I think the HA-02 and the DNA Sonett are probably the two "best buys" in tube amps right now.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #433 of 3,599
The ha-02 had been proven as a wonder amp for AT woodies in this forum. In other words, its most likely a dedicated amp for AT woodies.

Im  not even sure if im ever gonna get  AT phones again.  i would like to try some other phones like  hd800 or t1 in the future and i dont think i can afford another amp for new phones.

But if yammy ha-02 casts magic on w3000anv again, i wouldnt hesitate to get one.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #434 of 3,599

Quote:

I'd add the Cary amps and the Zana Deux to that list -- love it with my ATs. I was not a fan of the Woo/AT woody pairings during my time with the WA6 and later the 6SE. I suspect one or another of the Bottlehead designs might work well also.

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back