New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #436 of 3,599

Quote:
I'd add the Cary amps and the Zana Deux to that list -- love it with my ATs. I was not a fan of the Woo/AT woody pairings during my time with the WA6 and later the 6SE. I suspect one or another of the Bottlehead designs might work well also.

o

Not surprised...I prefer AT headphones with warmer amps. But the two amps you mentioned are very ss'ish sounding and would likely be a bit too clean for Audio Techinica headphones.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #439 of 3,599

Quote:
Not surprised...I prefer AT headphones with warmer amps. But the two amps you mentioned are very ss'ish sounding and would likely be a bit too clean for Audio Techinica headphones.

I actually prefer solid state over the Woos with ATs with the exception of the W1000. The Woo 6-series are a strange middle ground IMO. They don't have the resolution of solid state but they sound similar to a solid state. I agree that I generally like a bit more warmth in my ATs though.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #440 of 3,599

Quote:

I actually prefer solid state over the Woos with ATs with the exception of the W1000. The Woo 6-series are a strange middle ground IMO. They don't have the resolution of solid state but they sound similar to a solid state. I agree that I generally like a bit more warmth in my ATs though.

Agreed..so the Woo-6 series wouldn't like be the best match for ATs.

Wow...we actually agreed on something.
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #441 of 3,599
I don't find the Zana Deux to be a very "tubey" sounding tube amp. Despite being highly analytic, it handles headphones with hotter treble very well. I absolute adore the Zana Deux with my HD800 and Grados for this reason. It seems generally well regarded as a good HD800 amp.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #442 of 3,599

Quote:
Agreed..so the Woo-6 series wouldn't like be the best match for ATs.

Wow...we actually agreed on something.
smile.gif

Disagreeing is also something we have in common. =) Wouldn't it be boring if we agreed? I'll admit that I have a bit of a protestor trained into me as a Californian, but I've been the only one protesting against the Occupy protests.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #443 of 3,599

Quote:

Disagreeing is also something we have in common. =) Wouldn't it be boring if we agreed? I'll admit that I have a bit of a protestor trained into me as a Californian, but I've been the only one protesting against the Occupy protests.

OMG...yet another thing we agree on!
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #444 of 3,599

Quote:
It is a more tube sounding tube amp. The WA6 and WA6SE are quite different from the other Woo amps in that regard.

I just realized you meant the WA6 and WA6SE when you said "those two" in your previous post, and not the ZDSE and Cary.

Maybe it's more of a relative thing, but I've always been under the impression that in the pantheon of tube amps, the Zana Deux is generally considered to be on the drier side. I haven't heard the WA6SE, but you seem to be suggesting it's even less "tubey?"

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #445 of 3,599

Quote:
I just realized you meant the WA6 and WA6SE when you said "those two" in your previous post, and not the ZDSE and Cary.

Maybe it's more of a relative thing, but I've always been under the impression that in the pantheon of tube amps, the Zana Deux is generally considered to be on the drier side. I haven't heard the WA6SE, but you seem to be suggesting it's even less "tubey?"

Yes...correct.
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #447 of 3,599
i received my w3000 today,sounds great with my zana deux.its warmer than the w5000.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #450 of 3,599

Quote:
The Zana Deux is also very quiet, which makes me love the thing. Plugging my ATs into it, I get no buzz, which is something I can't say even for some of the solid state amps I own.

Craig (a.k.a. Mr. Eddie Current) actually uses ATH-AD2000s to evaluate his amps for noise and distortion. This is why they are quiet. 

Quote:
I don't find the Zana Deux to be a very "tubey" sounding tube amp. Despite being highly analytic, it handles headphones with hotter treble very well. I absolute adore the Zana Deux with my HD800 and Grados for this reason. It seems generally well regarded as a good HD800 amp.

The Zana Deux is probably the least tubey of the current slate of Eddie Current amps - the Eddie Current house sound isn't lush or romantic sounding in the first place. The WA6SE despite being the least tubey of the Woo amps still has a hint of lushness with rounded bass, despite whatever tubes are in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back