New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #226 of 3,599

Quote:

Sounds a little bit like the W1000X?  It had a little emphasis in the presense region as well. From memory, how do you find the bass compared to the W1000X?

From memory, and we all know auditory memory is unreliable, the W1000X has more bass in the 100-120 Hz area.  I would say the W1000X would be a little fatter sounding, but other than that the sonic signatures seem similar, yes.  I also think though, from memory, the W3000ANV are more refined.  I always thought the W1000X were just a little rough in terms of being a little grainy (but again I still liked them overall).

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #227 of 3,599
Hmm, so you think that ATH-W3000ANV is bit lighter sounding? And how would you compare the lowest frequencies between those two? From the memory...

EDIT: I think I'm forgetting the HA5000. The output power is actually higher than the one from my current amp, and I really hate that. My DAC's analog output level is so high that I need to reduce the volume from my computer a lot. I guess I'm getting the Yamamoto later, it's output power is much lower.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #228 of 3,599

Quote:
EDIT: I think I'm forgetting the HA5000. The output power is actually higher than the one from my current amp, and I really hate that. My DAC's analog output level is so high that I need to reduce the volume from my computer a lot. I guess I'm getting the Yamamoto later, it's output power is much lower.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Yammy. On the other hand, I just clicked "buy" on the HA5000ANV.... 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #229 of 3,599
Why did you tell me that?! Maybe I should too... ;D But that would require a different DAC too, and I still have sweet memories of my tubed X-Can. = )

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #230 of 3,599

Quote:
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Yammy. On the other hand, I just clicked "buy" on the HA5000ANV.... 

I did the same thing just now... Can't wait...

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #231 of 3,599
Guys, stop that!! xD But no, congratulations on both, interesting to hear your thoughts. =D

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #232 of 3,599
Skylab, many thanks for your impressions, As always, I have learnt a lot by your experience. Also eager to listen to others who have heard Yammy, AT1000x and AT5000, specifically Muppetface.
The suspense in this thread is thrilling (Still not sure if I should invest in W3000, only based on the sonic differences compared to W1000x and W5000). Very nice discussions as well. which make head-fi such a fun and enriching place! 

I love both the W5000 (more refined) and W1000x (more bass) with Yamamoto HA 02 dedicated only for them and Grado GS1000i.  I believe the amp makes a difference in terms of how engaging the AT phones are musically and is worth every penny I have spent on it. I tried the AT phones several times with Benchmark, Naim Headline 2 and some portable amps, but end up listening through the Yamamoto, maybe its the tube factor. Though the vocals are clearly the highlight, I feel the bass of W5000 through the Yamamoto  is well extended, has very good texture, but  lacks impact. Not an issue for me, as I got used to it and maybe it is one of the reasons why I can listen without fatigue for long hours.

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #233 of 3,599

Quote:

What conclusion have you made?

Just that Skylab's initial impressions were exactly what I guessed they would sound like.  Maybe they've improved after burn in.  You've head more of the ATH woodies than me I can't even remember which ones I've heard, but I'm just sick of ATH releasing limited edition after limited edition of what seem to be the same highly colored headphone with new glossy finish and a new string of confusingly long numbers and letters.  They ought to just make a better headphone.  Improve the AD2000, that's their best phone that I've heard. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #234 of 3,599
I'm getting pretty sure I'll get the Yamamoto for my Audio-Technica's. It appears to have every feature I'm looking for, and that cherry wood is just great looking too. = ) And your post made it even more desirable for me!

But damn, where is my ATH-W3000ANV! These days feel like years damnit... This was a long weekend.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #235 of 3,599

Quote:

Quote:
I did the same thing just now... Can't wait...

WOW... I was only sleeping awhile ago and this happens. Please make some comparisons w/ neutral solid state amps when you two receive them. That would be really appreciated!

Quote:
Interesting posts here... I'm on the edge of just buying the amp all the time. It's WAY TOO expensive for me to get, but I don't want to lose any of what ATH-W3000ANV has to offer. But I can't tell if ATH-HA5000ANV gives me it all. No-one knows what's the ultimate amp for me and those phones. This isn't even funny anymore.

I don't have the cash for the HA5000ANV now, but I'll probably get that or the HA5000 later on. I almost always use an AT woodie anyways. If I like the W3000ANV enough, I might just sell my Stax O2 rig. I almost never use the Stax.

Quote:
I have to say that if the W3000ANV really require a specific amp to work right then producing only one amp for every ten headphones is a very poor decision.

However, I don't think it's the case.  After just 32 hours burn in, the W3000ANV already sound MUCH better (note that I only listened to them for a few minutes a few times during this burn in period, so this is NOT a case of my "getting used to them" - haven't used them enough for that).

Anyway, I think they sound enjoyable now.  I say enjoyable because I certainly wouldn't define them as neutral.  They most definitely have a "sound" - kind of a spotlight on the presence region, which like any coloration works better on some music than others.  But the bass has enough weight to make the overall balance work well enough, and the cupped hands coloration seems to be gone.

I like them - they will make a nice change up.  But they certainly would not ever be able to be my only headphone.

I see. If the W3000ANV doesn't need to be paired, that would be fantastic. I look forward to hearing mine.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #236 of 3,599

Quote:

Just that Skylab's initial impressions were exactly what I guessed they would sound like.  Maybe they've improved after burn in.  You've head more of the ATH woodies than me I can't even remember which ones I've heard, but I'm just sick of ATH releasing limited edition after limited edition of what seem to be the same highly colored headphone with new glossy finish and a new string of confusingly long numbers and letters.  They ought to just make a better headphone.  Improve the AD2000, that's their best phone that I've heard. 

I agree their strategies to make me feel special are annoying, but I'm a bit confused why you criticize their coloring. You say mid-range focused headphones should have a rainbow shaped type of sound. AT woodies are exactly that. They may have some variations, but they are the most mid-centric headphones around.

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #238 of 3,599
Well mine just arrived from Aiko store which was a surprise because they arn't even marked as shipped on their site :D They are absolutely as beautiful as I expected. I won't bother giving impressions particularly as my Yamamoto is still on order but so far I'm really pleased with them.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #239 of 3,599

Quote:
Well mine just arrived from Aiko store which was a surprise because they arn't even marked as shipped on their site :D They are absolutely as beautiful as I expected. I won't bother giving impressions particularly as my Yamamoto is still on order but so far I'm really pleased with them.

Oh, wow. When will you receive the Yamy? Please post impressions when you do.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #240 of 3,599
Glad to hear these are starting to show up!

Last I checked on my order, it had gone from Japan to Alaska and then up north in the continental US. The projected delivery date is Friday... but at this rate, I honestly don't see why it would take that long even taking Thanksgiving into consideration. Hopefully it will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

My HA5000ANV will most likely come the week after, so my first impressions will be without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back