New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #242 of 3,599
Seriously, my ATH-W3000ANV still sits in Narita-Shi. As far as I remember, delivery sent with DHL moved during weekend too. I also don't know why they decided to move my package to the east... = /

Sent a question about Yamamoto HA-02 to a finnish hifi-store, hoping to get a reply today. = ) If not available ever, straight from Japan then I suppose.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #243 of 3,599

Quote:

I agree their strategies to make me feel special are annoying, but I'm a bit confused why you criticize their coloring. You say mid-range focused headphones should have a rainbow shaped type of sound. AT woodies are exactly that. They may have some variations, but they are the most mid-centric headphones around.

Well I don't really want a rainbow FR, I was just making a point.  Of some sort, not sure what exactly.  :)  But I think my problem with them was uneven FR (even within the midrange) and/or ringing.  But you should bring your W11 over sometime and prove me wrong! 

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #245 of 3,599

Quote:

Well, Grado. Come on.

And, no. You're allowed to comment on W5000 and ESW9, but you're making generalizations about their amps (or your lack of their amps
blink.gif
) and all their headphones.

I get accused of hating Grado more than just about any other brand whenever I say anything remotely negative about them. Which I find a bit funny, considering I happen to really LIKE the way a lot of Grados sound. But the moment I bring up the glue or pizza boxes people start personally attacking me for badmouthing them.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #246 of 3,599
But what you and wind016 are doing isn't much different. Just about every time(myself included) someone made a negative remark about an audio technica headphone they got faced with criticism. My comments even ended with IMO and to my ears, but that didn't stop you. It's funny when wind016 said this isn't the thread to discuss the w5000 but when I suggested we move on from discussing the l3000 he said it was relevant. There are headphones that I love, but if someone says something critical about them I don't turn around and get into a debate about it. Everyone ears are different and everyone has a sound signature they like. If someone opinion about a headphone differs from someone else, so what. You ears are the only ears that matters. It doesn't or shouldn't matter if someone absolutely hate, dislike or whatever, headphone that you absolutely love.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #247 of 3,599

Quote:
But what you and wind016 are doing isn't much different. Just about every time(myself included) someone made a negative remark about an audio technica headphone they got faced with criticism. My comments even ended with IMO and to my ears, but that didn't stop you. It's funny when wind016 said this isn't the thread to discuss the w5000 but when I suggested we move on from discussing the l3000 he said it was relevant. There are headphones that I love, but if someone says something critical about them I don't turn around and get into a debate about it. Everyone ears are different and everyone has a sound signature they like. If someone opinion about a headphone differs from someone else, so what. You ears are the only ears that matters. It doesn't or shouldn't matter if someone absolutely hate, dislike or whatever, headphone that you absolutely love.

When did I ever negatively criticize someone? Please, show me.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #250 of 3,599

Quote:
I didn't say people were personally being criticized. But the comments made were faced with criticism. And my apologies to wind016, but that was you who said it was relevant when I suggested we move on from discussing the l3000.

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing how anything I've said in this thread is criticism. If you could show me a specific post, then I would have a better understanding of what you're referring to.

The comment you're referring to wasn't criticism. I was explaining, quite civilly I felt, that there isn't much to talk about at this point because the headphones in question aren't in people's hands yet. My point was that discussing the characteristics of Audio-Technica headphones, in a general sense, was relevant in my opinion.

When I asked if this or that person heard a particular pair of headphones with a particular amplifier, that wasn't criticism either. It was my attempt to surmise where that poster was coming from. My telling someone they might be better served using a particular amplifier isn't criticism either. It's a simple recommendation.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #251 of 3,599
I'm not taking about that post. There are post about comments made that you would ask have you actually listened them or dismissing their comments because they didn't listen to them on a certain amp. Or going back and forth about this isn't the way I hear them. Your criticisms aren't as bad as wind016's but they are still there. But forget I said anything. I can see where this is going.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #252 of 3,599

Quote:

I thought the L3000 may be relevant because of the 3000 #. But even the topic of L3000 is irrelevant since now we can start getting real impressions soon. Most of the debate with grain-free was about amp matching and about frequency roll-off. Yes, we see the W5000 graphs, but not all ATs roll down like that (ie W11JPN and W11R with the JPN being way more bloated). But since we can start getting W3000ANV impressions, we can do that.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #253 of 3,599

Quote:
I'm not taking about that post. There are post about comments made that you would ask have you actually listened them or dismissing their comments because they didn't listen to them on a certain amp. Or going back and forth about this isn't the way I hear them. Your criticisms aren't as bad as wind016's but they are still there. But forget I said anything. I can see where this is going.

If you were offended by any of my posts, you have my apologies. 

My intentions are not to dismiss someone's opinion because they listened on a particular amplifier, but to a) offer a suggestion that might improve the listening experience and b) offer my counter opinion. As you said a few posts back, you and others were clear it was your opinion. I understand that whatever someone says about X or Y sounding a certain way is going to be an opinion, believe me. When I say "I didn't hear it this way" however, please understand that is my opinion as well. I have every right to express mine, just as you have a right to yours. Of course, that's contingent on our being civil about it, and I try to be that way in my posts.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #254 of 3,599

Quote:
That's an interesting perspective but I don't think it's analogous to what Audio-Technica is doing. 
smile.gif
 And no, I don't think that amping changes the frequency response and fundamental sound signature of a headphone; though it can enhance it.

I've really enjoyed participating in this discussion but I think that we have taken the thread off-topic and I'd hate to see all of these worthy posts deleted as a consequence. 
wink.gif
 So I'll bow out and look forward to reading the forthcoming listening impressions.  

Not analogous, no. My point was that people don't seem to have any qualms about paying extra for headphones that absolutely require special amplification, so AT's making a headphone that merely benefits from their in house amps shouldn't garner too much ire. And as for amping changing the sound of a headphone, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Going from my Leben to my Beta 22 with certain cans, it's more than a minor change imo.

As for ending this... fair enough, good sir. I've been enjoying our discussion. Helps me take my mind off the wait 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back