New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,726 of 3,599
I'm getting really curious about the W3000's bass level; I find the bass of my W5000's plentiful, but only after bending quite a lot the metal arcs, so is it a matter of fit, or are these W3000's that much more bassy?

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,727 of 3,599
I found the W5000 to be way too bright, and noticeably lacking in bass weight. I don't feel that way about the W3000ANV.  But it is far from bass heavy.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,728 of 3,599
The bass level of the W5000 is roughly comparable to the W3000ANV in my opinion. I think some of the impressions of the W5000 being much lighter in bass are due to a poor fit and lack of seal. The W3000ANV seems to me to have a smidgen more bass at times perhaps, but it's not a big difference.

Overall I think the presentation of the W3000ANV is somewhat more grounded compared to the airier feel of the W5000. This also contributes to a feeling of weightiness with the W3000ANV over the W5000 imho.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #1,729 of 3,599

Quote:
The W1000X is indeed rolled off, but it still packs quite a punch in my opinion. As for the Denons, like I said, I find the D2000 and D5000 to indeed be bassier. The D7000 not quite so much though.

It all boils down to my original statement: "I would suggest the W1000X over the W3000ANV in that case."

It's a matter of degree.

x2. Perceptually for me on the bass:

D2000/D5000 > D7000 => W1000X > W3000ANV

--

The W5000 didn't necessarily sound bass lite compared to W3000ANV (no fitment issues), but rather had a strong midrange bump which upsets the overall balance. W3000ANV has a mid-bass hump compared to W5000 bass which is flatter.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,730 of 3,599

Quote:
There are compromises with every pair of headphones or IEM. The operating assumption of my recommendation would be that someone wanted an Audio-Technica woodie. In that case, the W11JPN and W1000X are pretty much the best ways to go for a basshead. Or the CKW1000ANV for an IEM.

Maybe there was something wrong with the W11JPN I had becase I thought they were too lean and dry  with minimum bass (and I am not a basshead at all). That's why I end up selling them even that I loved the looks.
On the other hand, I am loving the W3000ANV to the point of thinking on selling my D7000  balanced (with my version of Markl mods), DX1000 with Zeus balanced cable and maybe my Edition 9 with APS MkII balanced.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,731 of 3,599
#932 checking in
smily_headphones1.gif

Funnily enough, Price Japan first sent me the wrong tracking# for another W3000ANV, so a Head-Fier in Pennsylvania will get a treat from FedEx soon! At Price Japan they must be wondering by now what's up with all those W3000ANV orders from the US...
biggrin.gif

My first impression was that they are a bit forward & harsh in the mid-upper range overall, but it's a matter of settling in I'm sure. Actually late last night I had a bit of a listen through the randomized playlist for burn-in, but at low volume since I was tired. After in particular coming across a recorder piece (which can go south on the high notes quickly) and a nice track from the Oscar Peterson Trio, I was thinking uh yea, this is going to be very nice!

And today I played back Laura Stevenson and the Cans' A Record, which is actually pretty terrible mastering-wise, and it was listenable, a major test for me. On the T1 it is almost unbearable, but then again even a nice recording on that thing makes me think (very) expensive mistake. The %$# treble spike on that thing is just cringe-inducing, even on my tube amp with a tube DAC in, after hundreds of hours of trying to burn-in (my brain)

I may have been spoiled by my W5000, and the reason I even started to look around was because of a small treble spike that kept bothering me (but never the "lack" of bass) Of course the T1 put that into perspective...
rolleyes.gif
I think the W3000ANV is actually spot-on as far as that goes, already. And in response to the bass question above: Yes it definitely has more of it, but I wouldn't consider that -alone- worth the huge premium (I paid almost twice as much, but then again I got a great deal on the W5000 new)

One question to those that have both: I consider the W5000 still my most comfortable and best-fitting headphone, period, AFTER adjusting the bend on the metal bands. However, I seem to have a much harder time doing that with the W3000ANV pushing as hard as I dare... maybe they are using a different alloy under the rubber? What was your experience if you tried that? Did it seem to spring back to the original shape?

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,734 of 3,599
No need to check anything, just bend!! =D

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,735 of 3,599
I just found myself a truly mint pair of ESW-10JPN. :)
With the ES88, ESW9A, ES10, EW9 and CKW1000ANV that completes the list of AT portables I wanted to try.
I already sold the CKW1000ANV though, now it's time to compare the rest and see which pairs I will keep.
I plan on listening a bit tonight since I didn't have time to check out 3 of the 4 pairs I have on my desk here.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #1,736 of 3,599
I remember reading couple posts about possible storage since it comes in a box and not the case like the w5000.

I bought a camera hard case and looks ok.  I should've dug a separate hole for the cable away from the headphone...  the foam doesn't stick back once you remove it. I guess I can glue them back. Didn't really think it through before I started ripping it apart.

Do you think I should get a piece of satin or something so these foam doesn't rub directly against the earcup?  Is there better solution that this? Just want something more convenient than the box to put the headphone in while not in use.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #1,737 of 3,599

Quote:
I remember reading couple posts about possible storage since it comes in a box and not the case like the w5000.

I bought a camera hard case and looks ok.  I should've dug a separate hole for the cable away from the headphone...  the foam doesn't stick back once you remove it. I guess I can glue them back. Didn't really think it through before I started ripping it apart.

Do you think I should get a piece of satin or something so these foam doesn't rub directly against the earcup?  Is there better solution that this? Just want something more convenient than the box to put the headphone in while not in use.

I have my L3000 stored in a case like that and I must say I like the W5000 case a lot better, for storage at home that is, it's not as sturdy as these flightcases for traveling.
Some silk would be better indeed IMO or else put the phones in the soft bag they came with an then in the case to protect the lacquer from scratching by the foam or cable/plug. You will have to tear out the middle part of the foam as well then.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,739 of 3,599
MuppetFace, could you take a look at the girl with the ES88 in this pic?
Now isn't she wearing them the wrong way around?
I've been fiddling with mine for a while now, but if I wear them like her then I am reversing left and right.
These and the EW9 have kept me quite busy fiddling for a few hours now.  :wink:

EDIT: Also, is the ES88 the top model in its range or is there a woodie version as well?

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,740 of 3,599
Appears that she is. Not that it matters there, and she is very pretty. I really wish I would be able to find finnish girls pretty, then I might get an interest to try getting a girlfriend sometime... Sorry, needed to express my feelings.

By the way, are those good phones? I really need portable Audio-Technica's too... ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back