New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 18, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #4,996 of 5,077
Hello, sorry if this has already been asked, but I recently purchased the iPad Pro 11 with the USB-C connector. Has anybody had any success getting the DFR to work with an iPad Pro? I bought the single USB-C to USB adapter from apple, but it doesn't even make the DFR light up (I might have received a defective adapter, I'm not sure). I also see they make a bulkier "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" that has a USB-A female connector, but I haven't tried that yet as it is kind of pricey. Has anyone had any luck with either of these adapters (or any other adapter) to get the DFR to work with iPad Pro? Thanks a lot for any help.
Dragonfly Black works fine for me with USB-C to USB adapter. Maybe yours is faulty...

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4,998 of 5,077
im sure it will.

but like any DAC, the better the source material you feed it, the better it will perform.

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #4,999 of 5,077
Just to check, will any of the dragonfly’s make music downloaded from the iTunes Store and played through an iPhone sound better? Be it black, red or cobalt.

I have a lot of music from ITunes and AAC256 does sound great. I also have a lot of cd's. Don't go any lower than AAC256. Now in saying that don't worry too much if it's high resolution or AAC 256, the important thing for sound quality is how it was originally recorded, mastered or re-mastered.

I've heard better AAC256 than some so called high resolution. It all depends on how it was recorded. Search for the better recorded music on ITunes, there is plenty there. Some artists just don't care about sound quality. They just want to sell to kids who have no idea and not spend the money to record it properly.

My DF red makes my laptop sound much better then on its own. Set up the DF properly in your computer and the DF delivers big time.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #5,000 of 5,077
using an iphone and the DFR, lets say with tidal player (MQA, masters), does it feed the whole thing to the DFR bit perfect? not sure about the term, but it bypasses everything and go straight to dfr? i have tried out a couple of daps with android and each have their own technical faults, from glitch bluetooth to laggy interface and sometimes not working sd card, so looks like i’m going back to the dongle life and use my iphone 11 pro max and tether it to a DFR. Just curious how the DFR works and how it handles music, both via app, like vox, and tidal masters, many thanks.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #5,001 of 5,077
using an iphone and the DFR, lets say with tidal player (MQA, masters), does it feed the whole thing to the DFR bit perfect? not sure about the term, but it bypasses everything and go straight to dfr? i have tried out a couple of daps with android and each have their own technical faults, from glitch bluetooth to laggy interface and sometimes not working sd card, so looks like i’m going back to the dongle life and use my iphone 11 pro max and tether it to a DFR. Just curious how the DFR works and how it handles music, both via app, like vox, and tidal masters, many thanks.

I currently use an old iPhone SE 128GB with my DFC exactly because it is bit perfect with Tidal.

If using BT you don't get MQA bit perfect anyway, even over LDAC which apple doesn't have. Have to be wired.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #5,002 of 5,077
hi there i my DFR just arrived,
i noticed that my unit usb part is tilted upwards
is this normal? there is no wobble or wiggle like the cobalt tho

IMG_20200117_193716.jpg

edit : actually i just put the cap back on and gently push the usb and it straightens out.. welp

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #5,003 of 5,077
hi there i my DFR just arrived,
i noticed that my unit usb part is tilted upwards
is this normal? there is no wobble or wiggle like the cobalt tho

edit : actually i just put the cap back on and gently push the usb and it straightens out.. welp

When I had a DFR it was visually a bit out of line. Think its just down to how little circuit board locates inside the shell. I did apply a bit of force to mine to get straight as it annoyed me, otherwise just cosmetic. DFC was perfectly inline but then made change to case design/size.

Better to leave as is as always a risk if flexing end a bit.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #5,004 of 5,077
Just thought I would share my own personal experiences. I decided to go all in and buy all three dragonfly’s and the chord mojo to do a critical listening comparison of all 4 for my two main daily’s (Shure se846 and 1More Quad drivers). I also play hi res music from Amazon Music unlimited Ultra HD

Dragonfly Black

For the money, this DAC is very impressive. Definitely the best bang for your buck in terms of cost/improvement. Really steps up the music but it’s a very neutral sound signature so nothing really stands out.

Dragonfly Red

A marked improvement on the Black as the bass, treble and Mids are very audibly improved and more forward sounding to my ears. Soundstage is better than on the black but not amazing. It is Bass heavy but still an enjoyable listen.

Dragonfly Cobalt

Not as bass heavy as the Red but everything just sounds better. Much more crisp, detailed and the soundstage is incredible. In my opinion a worthy competitor to the Mojo and worth the steep price against the Red. It just sounds so much more pleasant. Nothing is too harsh but everything just sounds incredible.

Chord Mojo

This is the best of the 4 hands down. Noticed the biggest difference using my Shure se846 but the soundstage was better, instrument separation was incredible, Bass, Mids and Treble all sounded impeccable with nothing muddying over anything else. I couldn’t really hear any difference between the Mojo and the Coablt using my 1More’s or even using my Sennheiser Momentum 3 over ears. Seems the Mojo comes into its own with high end IEM’s like the se846.

Conclusion

The dragonfly’s are all amazing with the Cobalt definitely being the best of the three and considering the transportability and ease of use with it not needing to be charged to use, I would say the Cobalt is the Best Buy of the 3. But if you have the spare money and you do a lot of listening at a desktop or not moving, the Mojo really is just that bit better than the Cobalt. If money is tight, the Black is definitely worth the money. But if you’re going to spend a lot of money on a DAC, I would save that little bit more for the Cobalt over the Red.

I hope this helps anyone considering any of the options. I have since returned the Black and Red and plan to keep the Mojo and Cobalt. Mojo to use at my desktop, the Cobalt for going out and about.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #5,005 of 5,077
my first impression of the DFR :

sounds musical, meatier and weightier on the upper bass / lower mid than my FiiO M11 DAP, detail wise not much lose compared to the M11,

i think i would keep both since the DFR would work well with my colder / brighter / analytical headphones / IEMs

a bit concerned about the tilted usb tho

edit :
question :
i just tried to use the DFR with my pocophone f1, it connects just fine but when i try to play something (youtube, spotify)
it appears to be some noise like vinyl scratching background noise,
but when i use the UAPP player it sounds normal and clean without hiss or any scratching noise, anyone know how to fix the noise?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #5,009 of 5,077
Cobalt is too expensive. Paying for brand and software/music tuning. I paid £150 for mine and sold DFR for £120 so worth it for me.

DF Black is worth the price I think. I paid 93€ two years and half ago and I'm happy with it. The problem with is loosing its black tone (I've uploaded some screenshots here some) and sometimes I head some hiss when music is not playing.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #5,010 of 5,077
I need a advice, since i live in Pakistan and there is no audioquest dealer here (well except for cables). My friend is right now in Las Vegas and on request he will visit Mongolia Store to buy dragonfly for me, I own Sennheiser 598 & Audio-Technica M50x which I`m currently driving through FIIO K1, Its is a cheap dac/amplifier but it was the only option easy available in market here. Its a bit warm sounding, which i like but i can easily hear its flaws in both headphones. If anyone has experience with these headphones and both dragonfly, how will it sound and which one i should go for Black or Red?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back