New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,983 of 5,077
Yep that’s what I do but a pro tip get the iAudioGate app
Sorry for the continuous questions - are you saying to just get audiogate? Or are you saying to use a dragonfly and audiogate? If so, which dragonfly do you recommend? I am looking at DFB as I only intend to use it with my iem but should I be looking at red or cobalt too?

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #4,988 of 5,077
is it worth the price though? I can get the DFB for £68, the DFR for £148 and the DFC for £268

the price jumps seem huge - will I really hear a £200 difference between the DFB and the DFC?

I had the DFR which I got new for ~£138 last year and now have a 2nd hand DFC I got for £150 (£269 new).

Without doubt the DFC is better and if your using sensitive IEM's no background hiss (I had hiss with my SE846's & DFR).

Its same as always. If you never hear the DFC you will be more than happy with the DFR. If cost not an issue go for the DFC. I didn't want to buy at full price even though I had no problem affording it.

I had the very first Dragonfly Black too but didn't think that much better than what I had out of my phone at the time so returned that.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,989 of 5,077
Just to check, will any of the dragonfly’s make music downloaded from the iTunes Store and played through an iPhone sound better? Be it black, red or cobalt.

That depends on your headphones. Even though an apple adapter has a good DAC, it‘s very limited in output power, especially a european version, that is caped to just 0.5V max output. The US/Asian version can output around 1V. The volume cap is in the phone, not in the adapter, so it doesn‘t help to use a us adapter on a european iphone.

Dragonfly black can output 1V as well, no volume caps here. So, if you have a european phone, it might be an upgrade for you, depending on your headphones. DFR/DFC can output around1.5V into headphones undistorted, it‘s still plenty to drive even a HD600/HD650.

The DAC quality between the apple adapter and DFB is comparable, they are just a little different, so it‘s up to your taste, you cannot say, one is better than another.
DFR is a bit better, but it hisses with very sensitive IEMs like SE846.
DFC is again a bit different flavour from DFR and it doesn‘t hiss.

Hope this helps a bit in your decision making....

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #4,990 of 5,077
Any idea how can I beauty this again??

IMG-20191217-202049.jpg

IMG-20191217-202014.jpg

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4,993 of 5,077
is it possible to use spotify with DF red on our cellfon? thanks

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,995 of 5,077
Hello, sorry if this has already been asked, but I recently purchased the iPad Pro 11 with the USB-C connector. Has anybody had any success getting the DFR to work with an iPad Pro? I bought the single USB-C to USB adapter from apple, but it doesn't even make the DFR light up (I might have received a defective adapter, I'm not sure). I also see they make a bulkier "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" that has a USB-A female connector, but I haven't tried that yet as it is kind of pricey. Has anyone had any luck with either of these adapters (or any other adapter) to get the DFR to work with iPad Pro? Thanks a lot for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back