New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #4,966 of 5,077
It's been a while since I've used UAPP or my DFR (since my DFR broke in April/May), but if I recall, you have to unplug the DFR from the phone and then replug it. When you replug, don't let UAPP connect to DFR.

Yea but the volume of DFR stays the same, phone media volume is very low and I can still get a pretty good volume from Spotify using CA Solaris, and when a notification arrives it blasts like boom , I just want to set the DFR HW volume to the middle and adjust phone volume to whatever I want to

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #4,967 of 5,077
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Do you mean that 1) you can't adjust the volume at all when you're using Spotify and the DFR? 2) you can't simply can't adjust the hardware volume the same way that you can in UAPP? or 3) the volume is much lower when using Spotify than when using UAPP?

1) If you can't adjust the volume at all in Spotify: then I'm sorry, I don't have an answer.
2) If you can't adjust the hardware volume in Spotify the same way as UAPP: yes, this is a shortcoming of Android. There is no native external hardware volume support in Android.
3) If the volume is lower in Spotify than UAPP: this sounds like you might have an older version of the DFR's firmware. Download AudioQuest's firmware updater app from their website and follow the instructions to update the firmware for the DFR.

Anyway, like I said, it's been a while since I've used a DFR or UAPP, so I may be misremembering or maybe something has changed. Maybe somebody else can chime in with more input.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #4,968 of 5,077
I just placed an order for the black. My usage will be on both a pc laptop, MacBook 12 inch, and iPhone XS Max. For software I’ll be using J river for my music library on the PC , and for streaming, Amazon HD unlimited. Now I know no exclusive but I should probably set both laptops driver to 24 bit/96 since that’s the limit of the device. In j River I can set exclusivity.

for my iPhone I bought the camera adapter. Does all this sound about right. It’s my first portable Dac/amp

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #4,969 of 5,077
I just placed an order for the black. My usage will be on both a pc laptop, MacBook 12 inch, and iPhone XS Max. For software I’ll be using J river for my music library on the PC , and for streaming, Amazon HD unlimited. Now I know no exclusive but I should probably set both laptops driver to 24 bit/96 since that’s the limit of the device. In j River I can set exclusivity.

for my iPhone I bought the camera adapter. Does all this sound about right. It’s my first portable Dac/amp

I cannot comment for your PC, but for the MacBook the only thing you have to do is to plug the Dragonfly into the USB port. That’s all. No need to touch to any bit or sampling controls, it will drive the Dragonfly using the native bit/sample of each of your music files, be on the drive or streaming, and the Dragonfly will automatically downsample to 24/96 if your file is natively over this setting.
For the iPhone, you got it right: Lightning camera connector to USB A and Dragonfly plugged into the connector. No need to do anything else. I use my iPhone with Tidal and when a file in hifi or MQA (24/192) then the Dragonfly automatically drives the streaming to its own maximum setting (for MQA I see a Purple light, 24 bit/96 kHz on Dragonfly).

For your PC, well, I’d always more complicated, so I hope you best...

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #4,970 of 5,077
I picked up a 2019 Fire HD17 the device with amazon music says it’s capable of 24 bit /48. I’m using a Black with an adapter but I’m not getting any more than 16 bit 44 I’m assuming it’s my adapter, is anyone successfully using the 7 and getting 24bit thru the dragonfly?

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #4,971 of 5,077
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and 1More Quad driver earphones. I’m considering getting a dragonfly (I have the budget for a cobalt if that’s what ends up being the best option). I don’t stream my music but instead buy them from the iTunes Store and download them to my phone (I don’t buy enough music regularly to warrant a streaming service plan). With that being the case and my music is capped at the size iTunes allows, would a dragonfly make any difference? And if so, which one would allow for the best quality sound from my earphones? I don’t want to get the DFC if it would be pointless.
Thanks in advance

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #4,972 of 5,077
If you have the money, go cobalt. The black to me is mellow, the red kinda hot in the treble, and the cobalt sounds like a good mix. Now any of these are great and so is the fiio l1 fo that matter and that is $40. But I listen to my cobalt instead of red and black anymore. Just a tad batter than the other two

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #4,973 of 5,077
If you have the money, go cobalt. The black to me is mellow, the red kinda hot in the treble, and the cobalt sounds like a good mix. Now any of these are great and so is the fiio l1 fo that matter and that is $40. But I listen to my cobalt instead of red and black anymore. Just a tad batter than the other two

thanks for the advice. Do you think it’ll make much of a difference with my iPhone and my quad driver headphones? Given that I don’t stream - will it still make a noticeable difference?

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #4,976 of 5,077
Not sure it will make much difference unless you have Hi-res music files. I have a dragonfly black but do not notice any real improvement to the Apple adapter. Apple adapter is limited to 48kHz (or 44.1 can’t remember exactly) as are iTunes music files. Apple’s adapter has an extremely capable DAC in it. However if you use Hi-res files it will effectively downscale them. DF will play them correctly. Without Hi-res potentially a waste of money. That being said I have only used the DF black. I no longer bother with the clunky DF + iPhone combo.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #4,977 of 5,077
Not sure it will make much difference unless you have Hi-res music files. I have a dragonfly black but do not notice any real improvement to the Apple adapter. Apple adapter is limited to 48kHz (or 44.1 can’t remember exactly) as are iTunes music files. Apple’s adapter has an extremely capable DAC in it. However if you use Hi-res files it will effectively downscale them. DF will play them correctly. Without Hi-res potentially a waste of money. That being said I have only used the DF black. I no longer bother with the clunky DF + iPhone combo.
So DF’s will not upscale music to Hi res quality? If that’s the case I’m probably getting as good a quality as is possible using the iPhone lightning adapter already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back