New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 2, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #4,861 of 5,077
Hello

how "big" would this be an upgrade over my fiio a3?

also how well does it run full size heapdhones like hd800s

I have not heard the A3 but I have been very impressed & satisfied with DFR (straight out of iPhone 6s or MacBook Pro 2010) with Senn HD650, Shure SRH940, Beyer DT250-250, Grado RS1 and especially the B&O H6 v1. This is in comparison with the following DACs/Amps...

Audiolab M-DAC v1
Rega DAC V1
Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear v1
Shanling PH100
Marantz HD-DAC.

However, with HD800 (16XXX serial, no mods), as with so many other DACS/amps, it is disappointing, cool and thin (!).

With good pairings, I find it has authority, detail, soundstage, timing and tonal balance... satisfying. The RS1s were a real surprise match, the HD650s less so as they sound good in different ways with amps of some power or detail.

With the HD800, I have not tried it as a DAC into another amp.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #4,862 of 5,077
My DFR just arrived and I realise that I need to buy a CCK to run it on my Iphone 7.
Well, that`s nice but there is two CCK, the CCK 2 and CCK USB 3.0 . There is any difference in sound quality? I read a quote in Audioquest website saying that the CCK 3.0 sounds better, I didn`t know it until today, is that really true?

EDIT: Also I see people in this forum saying that there is no difference and the sound . But I see some people saying that they hear a noise in the background with the CCK 2

Quote : "
PeteMtl said:
This is completely untrue. Both adapters now provide the exact same audio quality without any issues. Audioquest used to recommend only the USB3 3.0 Apple camera adaptor because there was a known issue between the USB2 2.0 camera adapter and the DFR. The issue was related to iOS compatibility and there were clicks and pops in the sound because of that. Since iOS 11.2 or 11.3 in 2017 the issues regarding the USB2 2.0 Apple camera adapter with DFR are over and both Apple adapters are completely okay for usage with the DFR. One is less bulkier, the other one provides recharging of iPhone or iPad while using the DFR, but soundwise, there are no audible differences whatsoever. Anybody arguing the contrary is just spreading pure snake oil. I’ve owned the DFR for a couple of years and have used it with both adapters with different iphones and ipads. I therefore speak of what I know about this whole issue. I have noticed the issue in the past with iOS 10 and early versions of iOS 11 with the 2.0 adapter and I can testify that the issue regarding the USB adapter were genuine and that the same issue is now a thing of the past. I now use both the 2.0 and the 3.0 Apple camera adapters without issues with my iphone X and ipad Pro 9,7. As a matter of fact I use the 2.0 quite more often with my HD600, HD6XX and HD58X Sennheiser headphones. So you may use the adapter you choose, but it’s rather a question of features and form factor, not a question of sound quality."

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #4,863 of 5,077
So as I said , I just receive my dragonfly red and jitterbug , but using it with my IEMs I didn’t notice difference in the sound , except that is louder .
The sound quality is almost the same , at least for what I hear today .
I join DFR with jitterbug in my IEMs triple balanced.
I think that with IEMs that is already expensive .. it won’t change much the SOUND QUALITY.
So if you already have good IEMs , the principal difference you will hear is a cleaner soundstage without some “noise” that USB ports of laptops can make .

I’m a bit disappointing , in my Full size headphones I could listen the difference , but what I am up to is IEMs , so I just waste 275$ .
But its ok , I will keep it with me , who knows if in the future they can have utility in some different in ear that I buy . That’s it .

edit 1:
I did the tests in my iPhone.. in my MacBook I didn’t test yet because I couldn’t find some equalizer to use with dragonfly red , I was using Eqmac but I see that I can’t use eqmac with DFR because Eqmac works like an output and DFR too.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #4,865 of 5,077
You will probably hear the difference after some listening when you switch back. Question is, what IEMs do you use? Some reacts to different source more than others.

I use one made in Brazil (a custom) it’s a neutral IEMs that have this characteristic proeminent : reveal everything in the records , even the small details .
Só as my IEMs have this capacity , nothing change with DFR because they are already quite good in this area.
And I prefer they neutrality , rather then the bit brightness offered by DFR , it’s a bit but I can perceive .
But I find DFR a lot convenient to use too !

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #4,866 of 5,077
I use one made in Brazil (a custom) it’s a neutral IEMs that have this characteristic proeminent : reveal everything in the records , even the small details .
Só as my IEMs have this capacity , nothing change with DFR because they are already quite good in this area.
And I prefer they neutrality , rather then the bit brightness offered by DFR , it’s a bit but I can perceive .
But I find DFR a lot convenient to use too !
I'm sorry to hear you're not liking the DFR with your IEMs. My suggestion is to give it a little more time before completely giving up hope.

I can definitely hear a difference in quality between using it and my phone (Samsung S9, Essential PH-1, HTC One M8) with my IEMs (Westone UM Pro 50, JAYS q-JAYS, RHA T20i). I also fancy I can hear a slight positive difference between it and my FiiO X5+E12A setup, though it's subtle enough that I might be hearing volume differences, etc. The difference between the DFR and my MacBook Air are definitely subtle– too subtle to notice in regular listening.

What you can hear definitely has a lot to do with your preferences and points of reference. I would never call the DFR bright– to me it sounds completely neutral– but then I'm coming from other gear that, to me, sounds neutral. If your iPhone and PC are a little bit dark or restrained in the treble, then I can see how the DFR would sound bright by comparison. If my S9 were my only frame of reference, I'd probably find the DFR to be a bit bright, as well. Likewise, if your reference is a very bass heavy headphone, a neutral one will sound anemic by comparison.

It's also difficult for us to judge your problem since none of us knows your IEMs. You say they're neutral and revealing– but if nobody but you knows how they sound, nobody can say how detailed and neutral they actually are. Again, if they're your only point of reference, what sounds neutral and highly detailed to you might sound colored and featureless to somebody else. I'm not saying the is necessarily the case, but it's hard for us to rule out if we don't know anything about your IEMs other than your impressions of them.

Again, I think you should give the DFR some time. @Carabei is right, there's a funny phenomenon wherein it's hard to hear differences when going from good gear to great, but it's easier when you switch from great gear to good. I'd recommend listening to the DFR exclusively for several days, trying to not compare it to your other sources. Relax and listen to the music! Try to turn off the critical part of your brain– I know that's more easily said than done, but it's worth a try. See if you can get to a point where the brightness is no longer driving you nuts. After a couple days when you've reached a point that it no longer annoys you every time you think about it, then go back and compare the DFR against your iPhone and PC. I'm not saying you'll necessarily suddenly hear a huge difference, but I think you might be surprised.

Anyway, good luck!

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #4,867 of 5,077
Thanks for the explanation @megabigeye , it really helps me. I will do what you say and hear them without comparing to my other sources at all.
Maybe what I call “brightness” can be related to a loud volume that the dfr gives , I will try to control it better and post here after a while .
This forum is really helpful , I’m glad that people just help each other with things like this :)

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #4,868 of 5,077
Hi.
I'd been happily using DFR with my Samsung S7. Then I replaced my S7 with Samsung S10 plus. S10 plus, possibly the Exynos variant, in my experience and also others' that I read on the net, doesn't work well with DFR. It keeps making this ear-breaking crackling noises every minute or so.
For my work and also for listening purposes, at the moment I'm looking for an additional android phone that's quite new (released within the last 12 months) and quite affordable (preferably under USD 300). Does anyone has any experience what phones in that category that definitely work well with DFR? I just want to make sure.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #4,869 of 5,077
Hi.
I'd been happily using DFR with my Samsung S7. Then I replaced my S7 with Samsung S10 plus. S10 plus, possibly the Exynos variant, in my experience and also others' that I read on the net, doesn't work well with DFR. It keeps making this ear-breaking crackling noises every minute or so.
For my work and also for listening purposes, at the moment I'm looking for an additional android phone that's quite new (released within the last 12 months) and quite affordable (preferably under USD 300). Does anyone has any experience what phones in that category that definitely work well with DFR? I just want to make sure.
You can look at the Samsung J7 V 3rd gen. Although this model is for Verizon there are probably variants for other carriers.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #4,870 of 5,077
Someone knows how to use the dragonfly red with equalizer in MacBook ?
I used to use EQMAC2 but I just can’t use this program since that program require output sound to works , and the DFR use the same output
So , if I select one, I lost the other one .
I saw some posts about the program AUlab and forest something , but it didn’t work

If anyone here have MacBook and know how to use equalizer with DFR , help pls!
I give up trying to search for a solution in web...

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #4,872 of 5,077
Hello,

I recently bought the dragonfly red with the Apple USB 3.0 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightn...s=gateway&sprefix=apple+usb+3+,aps,128&sr=8-3) .

I bought the dragonfly red on amazon and a separate USB 3.0 adapter ending up with two adapters. My intended use was portable with my iphone xs. However, any minor disturbance to the USB cable causes the dragonfly to disconnect. I had the same issue with both adapters. The only way I can use the DFR with my iphone is to place it on my desk being very careful not to move it. Is this a known adapter issue or have I just had bad luck with two faulty Apple USB 3.0 adapters? Or is the issue potentially related to the dragonfly red I purchased?

Appreciate y'alls input.

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #4,873 of 5,077
Hello,

I recently bought the dragonfly red with the Apple USB 3.0 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-USB3-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2CE4XDKO9FYKL&keywords=apple+usb+3+camera+adapter&qid=1560970809&s=gateway&sprefix=apple+usb+3+,aps,128&sr=8-3) .

I bought the dragonfly red on amazon and a separate USB 3.0 adapter ending up with two adapters. My intended use was portable with my iphone xs. However, any minor disturbance to the USB cable causes the dragonfly to disconnect. I had the same issue with both adapters. The only way I can use the DFR with my iphone is to place it on my desk being very careful not to move it. Is this a known adapter issue or have I just had bad luck with two faulty Apple USB 3.0 adapters? Or is the issue potentially related to the dragonfly red I purchased?

Appreciate y'alls input.
Those are all possibilities. But most iPhone users don't report this problem. Could also be that your phone has a loose/damaged/dirty jack? That would also be a "common source" of the problem you are having. Mught try cleaning with some electronic's contact cleaner, or >90% Isopropanol.
Also, Someone had mentioned that iPhones need to be above something like 20% remaining charge; or they start to have difficulty supplying the power needed to power the DFR..

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #4,874 of 5,077
Those are all possibilities. But most iPhone users don't report this problem. Could also be that your phone has a loose/damaged/dirty jack? That would also be a "common source" of the problem you are having. Mught try cleaning with some electronic's contact cleaner, or >90% Isopropanol.
Also, Someone had mentioned that iPhones need to be above something like 20% remaining charge; or they start to have difficulty supplying the power needed to power the DFR..

Thanks for the input. I don't have similar issues while charging the iphone using the lightning cable. Do you think it could be a faulty jack nevertheless? I actually have some isopropanol at home so I could attempt at cleaning the jack out. Perhaps I just cough up for another apple USB adapter.​

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #4,875 of 5,077

Thanks for the input. I don't have similar issues while charging the iphone using the lightning cable. Do you think it could be a faulty jack nevertheless? I actually have some isopropanol at home so I could attempt at cleaning the jack out. Perhaps I just cough up for another apple USB adapter.​
Would not expect both new genuine apple adapters to have problems. (unless they are fake ones?). So getting a third would not be my first choice.

Simple test to try:
When connected to your phone. Try keeping everything in place; but wiggle the dfr to Apple adapter connection. Does that duplicate the cutting out. If not, try moving the Phone to Apple Adapter connection, Does that re-create the drop outs. It's likely one of the other if it works well when still and nothing is flexing.

Also worth trying:
Can you test that the DFR is working fine using a computer; Or another phone (Apple or Android) just to prove that the DFR does not have a poor connection or wiring problem itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back