New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #4,729 of 5,077
Would you explain the difference between line out mode, and non line out mode? Thanks
Wish I knew exactly. My understanding is that problems arise when you double amp music and line out will, on other devices, bypass the amp and just utilize the DAC. That's not exactly how It works on the Red but I believe that's the general idea. In essence you shouldnt have any issues that arise from double amping.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,730 of 5,077
Just bought a Dragonfly Red to use it with Android (Samsung S7) and UAPP. Very good quality, but less high frequencies compared with other Sabre-based USB DACs (Zorloo ZuperDAC-S and SMSL Idea/ Sabaj DA2). Anyone has the same impressions? Good mids (voices) but high frequencies are subdued (tested with Audio Technica MSR7 and hybrid IEM FLC 8n).
How can I set DSD playback mode with UAPP with DF Red? DoP or PCM conversion? It can play even DSD native with UAPP, but I think DF Red has no support for direct DSD. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,731 of 5,077
Wish I knew exactly. My understanding is that problems arise when you double amp music and line out will, on other devices, bypass the amp and just utilize the DAC. That's not exactly how It works on the Red but I believe that's the general idea. In essence you shouldnt have any issues that arise from double amping.
That's kind of what I thought. The thing is. (still testing) my violectric amp with focal clear headphones sound better with the dragon fly red volume reduced.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #4,732 of 5,077
Just got the Red and I like it a lot, few questions :
1. How do you set the volume on Android, do you set uapp volume all the way up or not, I want to use Spotify but don't wanna blow my ears.

2. Any good USB c otg cable with charging port and normal USB to connect the red ?

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,733 of 5,077
I’m seriously considering one of these for more volume and better amp than Apple Dongle.

Over on Reddit, people are acting like this device is BS. I posted a quote from CNET review and everyone acted like it was a joke.

https://www.cnet.com/news/upping-the-ante-with-the-audio-technica-ath-m70x-headphones/

“At this point, I connected the new AudioQuest DragonFly Red digital converter/headphone amplifier (review to come) to the iPhone and listened again. The ATH M70x' sound filled out and the treble was clearer than before; bass had more oomph, and stereo imaging opened wider.”

For those owners who have compared the DFR to Apple Dongle, what are your thoughts? Would be using it with two cans in my sig when not by my desktop amp.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #4,735 of 5,077
I’m seriously considering one of these for more volume and better amp than Apple Dongle.

Over on Reddit, people are acting like this device is BS. I posted a quote from CNET review and everyone acted like it was a joke.

https://www.cnet.com/news/upping-the-ante-with-the-audio-technica-ath-m70x-headphones/

“At this point, I connected the new AudioQuest DragonFly Red digital converter/headphone amplifier (review to come) to the iPhone and listened again. The ATH M70x' sound filled out and the treble was clearer than before; bass had more oomph, and stereo imaging opened wider.”

For those owners who have compared the DFR to Apple Dongle, what are your thoughts? Would be using it with two cans in my sig when not by my desktop amp.
The reddit goons circlejerk so hard that they often can't form original thought. Audioquest gets flamed on there a lot for their "snake oil" cables that cost a fortune. The DFR is different though. It uses a very well regarded chip and for a tiny USB dac/amp - it can sure push a load of sound. I love the DFR. I sold mine on ebay looking for greener pastures only to turn around and purchase it again because I didn't find any. Also the DFR pairs beautifully with the Nighthawks. DFR is nice and bright and the Nighthawks are dark and the combo is bliss.

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #4,736 of 5,077
The reddit goons circlejerk so hard that they often can't form original thought. Audioquest gets flamed on there a lot for their "snake oil" cables that cost a fortune. The DFR is different though. It uses a very well regarded chip and for a tiny USB dac/amp - it can sure push a load of sound. I love the DFR. I sold mine on ebay looking for greener pastures only to turn around and purchase it again because I didn't find any. Also the DFR pairs beautifully with the Nighthawks. DFR is nice and bright and the Nighthawks are dark and the combo is bliss.

The DFR/DFB aren't without their problems, when used with Android devices the volume control doesn't work properly unless you are using UAPP or go through a bit of a hack process on a rooted device. Volume control in Windows can also be an issue as it can get too loud without sufficient room for control, I found that to get some volume control back I had to use EQ APO and set the pre-amp to -30dB. Some of the complaints on Reddit relate to the noise issues with the DFR/DFB but what most don't understand is that the noise was largely only an issue when the output was set at above 75% using a low impedance load below 32Ohm; people have seen these measurements and push the narrative that it makes the device poor. In reality there are going to be very few headphones with an impedance of 32Ohm or less that are also of a low enough sensitivity that it would be safe to set the volume above 75% even on the lower powered DFB. It also doesn't help that the Sabaj DA2 seems to be compared with the Dragonfly devices and is considerably cheaper which then makes the DFR/DFB look like another 'overpriced' Audioquest product fitting in with their pre-existing reputation.

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #4,737 of 5,077
The DFR/DFB aren't without their problems, when used with Android devices the volume control doesn't work properly unless you are using UAPP or go through a bit of a hack process on a rooted device. Volume control in Windows can also be an issue as it can get too loud without sufficient room for control, I found that to get some volume control back I had to use EQ APO and set the pre-amp to -30dB. Some of the complaints on Reddit relate to the noise issues with the DFR/DFB but what most don't understand is that the noise was largely only an issue when the output was set at above 75% using a low impedance load below 32Ohm; people have seen these measurements and push the narrative that it makes the device poor. In reality there are going to be very few headphones with an impedance of 32Ohm or less that are also of a low enough sensitivity that it would be safe to set the volume above 75% even on the lower powered DFB. It also doesn't help that the Sabaj DA2 seems to be compared with the Dragonfly devices and is considerably cheaper which then makes the DFR/DFB look like another 'overpriced' Audioquest product fitting in with their pre-existing reputation.
I had the Sabaj DA2 and returned it after comparison with the DF Red. The Sabaj DA2 has many issues with Android phones (it produces a buzzing sound and only worked for me with UAPP after tweaking with Android USB settings). Better the Zorloo ZuperDAC-S, it has no native DSD playback but it has similar sound quality and it is compatible with all my apps (including Spotify, HiBy Music, Youtube, etc.). The main drawback is power consumption (both Sabaj and Zorloo) too much for a mobile phone. The DF Red has very low power consumption but it has 2.1 volt output to drive many headphones. Sound quality is so good that I immediately returned the Sabaj (and will sell my Zorloo). I virtually re-discovered the sound quality of my Audio Technica MSR7 with my mobile phone and DF Red. The high price tag compared with Sabaj or Zorloo is totally worth it in my opinion. DF Red beats even my HiRes players like FiiO X3II or other DACs like Encore mDSD. It sounds really good with UAPP (DF Red supports TIDAL MQA files played in UAPP).
DF Red has no problems with Android (at least with my Samsung phone) but you have to install the last firmware that fixes Android sound issues connecting it to a PC with the setup software. I can easily control the DF Red volume of all my sound apps in Android. It has an excellent software-controlled amplifier, incomparison with DF Black. DF Red has no competition below this price (EUR 180-190).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #4,740 of 5,077
How do you guys keep from blowing your ears , it's easy to forget the volume level and press play before checking the level and blow up , I'm on version 1.06 , is 1.07 any different?

Of course there is difference....In web music like radio or youtube the sound is very low with 1.6...Audioquest fix it with 1.7..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back