New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 14, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #4,636 of 5,077
Without having read the whole thread: Is there actually any alternative to the DFR if I need a DAC that runs on iPad/iPhone/Android without additional power source and is capable of driving low sensitivy headphones?

At the moment I have a DFB here, that works fine with my German Maestro GMP 35 phones (35 Ohm, 101 dB (1 kHz, 1 mW), 100 mW max) but not with my Fostex T50RP (50 Ohm, 92dB (1kHz, 1mW), 3000 mW max). Maybe the DFR works well with the Fostex, but not with the German Maestros?

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #4,637 of 5,077
2 days ago I was using the dfr with CTM vintage series. Which are all around 18ohm and 110-120db. The dfr had no problem with them and the vs4 sounded sweet btw.

Edit: I misread the last post. Sorry.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #4,638 of 5,077
I updated the latest firmware on my DFR on my Mac and ended up losing the left channel. Has anybody had that problem?

No problem here. Updated my DFR to 1.07 when it came out, on my mac, via the audioquest utility.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #4,639 of 5,077
Without having read the whole thread: Is there actually any alternative to the DFR if I need a DAC that runs on iPad/iPhone/Android without additional power source and is capable of driving low sensitivy headphones?

At the moment I have a DFB here, that works fine with my German Maestro GMP 35 phones (35 Ohm, 101 dB (1 kHz, 1 mW), 100 mW max) but not with my Fostex T50RP (50 Ohm, 92dB (1kHz, 1mW), 3000 mW max). Maybe the DFR works well with the Fostex, but not with the German Maestros?
Well the Black is 1.2v output and the Red is 2.1v so quite a difference there. The Red does a decent job with my Massdrop T-X0’s but does takes almost full volume to get the bass to get kicking good.

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #4,640 of 5,077
Guys I'm curious and nervous about a purchase I just made. A company called Bonaoffices is selling the dragonfly red for 150.00 new. It is difficult right now to buy these for 150.00 used on eBay. The deal seemed too good to pass up but now I'm worried it may be a scam. I paid through PayPal. Their website seems legit. I'm worried about counterfeits as they are not an authorized Audioquest dealer. How can they offer this at 150.00?

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #4,641 of 5,077
Hmm... I might consider cancelling the order, if for no other reason than that the warranty will not be granted from an unauthorized dealer.

Otherwise, you can Google "bonaoffices site review" or "bonaoffices scam" and look at people's reviews, etc., about the site. I do this for pretty much every new site I order from. Be wary, though, that people are more likely to write a complaining review than a praising one. Look at the dates of the written reviews-- if they're all years old then they may be irrelevant now; if they're written within a few days of each other they may be fake. Also look to see if the complaints are common to each other or completely different. If reviews use strikingly similar language it can be another indicator that the reviews are not legit.

Good luck!

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,642 of 5,077
Long time reader here and I finally signed up to be able to post.

I’ve had a DragonFly red for a couple of years now. I’ve paired them with Oppo PM-3’s, primarily for use when traveling on an airplane. This set up has taken me to the novice audiophile that I am today.

I’m now wanting to get a nice pair (under $1,000) of open back cans. What I am struggling with is, does the Dragonfly Red have enough power to push a good set of open backs?

A friend of mine let me borrow his Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm. I used this in my iPhoneX->Jitterbug->DFR set up and came away with two thoughts. 1. Maybe the DFR doesn’t have enough power to really push those cans or 2. Maybe I don’t love the sound of those Beyers.

I did listen to the Audeze LCD-X through my set up and was pretty impressed.

So now for the newbie questions:
1. Does the DFR get close to maximizing the potential of the LCD-X?
2. What sub $1,000 headphones does the DFR excel with?
3. Is the DFR holding me back and should I also be looking at something like the Chord Mojo to replace the DFR in my set up and then be able to push most cans in the $1000 range?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4,643 of 5,077
Hey, I use the DFR with the PM-3 as well! Pretty great pairing.
My experience with the DFR and full-sized, open cans is limited to the HD 650 and the DT 1990. I'd say the DFR can drive both to satisfying volumes, but detail and space around instruments suffers slightly. It drives the HD 650 slightly better. I realize this doesn't answer any of your three questions, but it might give you a little more insight into what you were hearing with the DT 880.

The DFR also does well in DAC only mode, so you might also consider just getting a decent amp to go with whatever headphones you get.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #4,644 of 5,077
Long time reader here and I finally signed up to be able to post.

I’ve had a DragonFly red for a couple of years now. I’ve paired them with Oppo PM-3’s, primarily for use when traveling on an airplane. This set up has taken me to the novice audiophile that I am today.

I’m now wanting to get a nice pair (under $1,000) of open back cans. What I am struggling with is, does the Dragonfly Red have enough power to push a good set of open backs?

A friend of mine let me borrow his Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm. I used this in my iPhoneX->Jitterbug->DFR set up and came away with two thoughts. 1. Maybe the DFR doesn’t have enough power to really push those cans or 2. Maybe I don’t love the sound of those Beyers.

I did listen to the Audeze LCD-X through my set up and was pretty impressed.

So now for the newbie questions:
1. Does the DFR get close to maximizing the potential of the LCD-X?
2. What sub $1,000 headphones does the DFR excel with?
3. Is the DFR holding me back and should I also be looking at something like the Chord Mojo to replace the DFR in my set up and then be able to push most cans in the $1000 range?
I recently picked up the DFR to use as a dac mostly for meets but it can drive several of my open backs pretty well tried the HD-6xx’s, HE-500 and HD-800’s and I don’t think that power is a problem with any of those. I will agree with @megabigeye it does lack a bit in detail and separation at least for me when compared to the Chord Mojo but that is over 2x the price. The Mojo and HD-650(6xx’s same difference) is not one of my favorites and would just as soon use the DFR with those. The other question is the Mojo better I think so but at a premium

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #4,646 of 5,077
Guys I'm curious and nervous about a purchase I just made. A company called Bonaoffices is selling the dragonfly red for 150.00 new. It is difficult right now to buy these for 150.00 used on eBay. The deal seemed too good to pass up but now I'm worried it may be a scam. I paid through PayPal. Their website seems legit. I'm worried about counterfeits as they are not an authorized Audioquest dealer. How can they offer this at 150.00?

Both Paypal and eBay offers protection so don’t worry too much. As for that price, well I’m having the chance to buy either Dragonfly at half the price (buy one get one free). Some manufacturers will sell to distributors at half the price, and when they need to clear stock, all kind of craziness can happen.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,647 of 5,077
I don't mean to offend anyone here and I have loved the Dragonfly Red, but for black friday I picked up the monoprice usb dac that has very similar specs but costs a quarter of what the Red costs. I've listened to both now and aside from not being as bright as the Red the monoprice dac sounds like it's on par with the Red. What am I missing? No MQA - is there anything else? The pairing of the Red with the Nighthawks is for me absolute perfection. The brightness of the Red with the darkness of the Nighthawks checks off a lot of boxes for my tastes but when I'm using other headphones that don't have the Nighthawks signature I'm not sure the Red is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back