New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #4,427 of 5,077
I have both the dragonfly red (MQA firmware updated) and chord hugo 2 and with MQA masters on Tidal (with Amarra), this little dac sounds so much better than my hugo 2.
If I only listened to MQA masters, than it makes the chord hugo 2 obsolete, unless chord enables their dacs to render MQA. I just love how the MQA sounds.

Last time I heard this level of realism was through Chord Dave and Cavalli Tungnsten Amp...but even more so now with MQA files through my humble dragonfly red.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #4,429 of 5,077
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #4,430 of 5,077
DFR has plenty of juice for HD650. Not a bad combo at all imo.

I agree. My end-game portable sound gear is the iPhoneX->Apple camera adapter->Dragonfly Red->HD6xx. I use it all the time around the house. My alternate sources are the iPad Pro or MacBook Pro. When I use the Mac I also use the Audioquest USB Jitterbug. When I use the iPad or iPhone I don’t bother with the Jitterbug. It’s a “budget end-game” setup, but nevertheless it is fabulous. I also use my O2/SDAC setup in the living room. But the Dragonfly Red produces enough power for the Senns. As a matter of fact, with its 2v output, and with the Senns efficiency (db/mw) and it’s rated 300 ohms impedance, the Red doesn’t need to produce very much wattage to conveniently drive the Sennheiser 6xx. It’s a very good setup, and the Red’s hotter treble (without being sibilant or too bright) is a good match to the HD6xx smooth and low profile upper frequencies. A very very good match between the Red and the Senns.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #4,431 of 5,077
Now I've got this working it's going to be interesting to try it out.

I can't listen to headphones for long due to an ear issue, so I've moved to Tidal from Qobuz Sublime+, as I can't justify the cost. The MQA addition to the DFR made it great value, especially as I got it for half price as an open box.

I'm using it mainly with a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2 from my Windows PC and laptop. I'll also be using it with an iPad Pro and possibly a Sony phone.

Previously I had a Sony TA-ZH1ES amp and the NW-WM1Z and 1A daps with Hifiman HE-1000v2, Mr Speakers Aeon Flow closed, Pioneer SEM1 and various others.

So far with limited listening I'm impressed. The level of performance for the price is excellent.

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,432 of 5,077
Did you have a chance to try the DF red with the EX1000. I'm contemplating if going for the WM1A and reterminating my EX1000 to balanced or just stick with the DF red. I would be especially interested to know if the DF red tames a bit the treble of the EX1000 and how does this compare to the WM1A.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #4,433 of 5,077
Did you have a chance to try the DF red with the EX1000. I'm contemplating if going for the WM1A and reterminating my EX1000 to balanced or just stick with the DF red. I would be especially interested to know if the DF red tames a bit the treble of the EX1000 and how does this compare to the WM1A.
It's been a long time since I sold the WM1A, so it's difficult to give any meaningful comparison. I've also never had any issues with treble on the EX1000. I have a slight dip in my high frequency hearing, maybe it's in that troublesome frequency range, who knows.

The WM1A was great, but bulky and heavy (although it felt light compared to the WM1Z brick). From my hazy memory I'd say the WM1A had better sound on balanced, and the WM1Z was a decent step up from there. However with the extra bulk, weight and cost I'd go with the DF red I think. I don't think the difference in sound is that huge.

I primarily stream my music from Qobuz or now Tidal, so the DF red is a no-brainer there. I do have a reasonable collection of ripped CDs and some hi-res Flacs, but I find Qobuz and Tidal sound better than my older ripped CDs.

For me the convenience, weight, size and ability to stream Tidal with MQA win the race. If I was looking at getting a Sony DAP again I'd be going for the ZX300. It's smaller and lighter, and can be used with a PC so can be used with streaming services. It supposedly sounds like the WM1A.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #4,436 of 5,077
I eventually had to sell my DFR (with CCK cable) because of popping/crackling noises when using it with my iPhone X.

I know this is an iPhone X specific problem. Apparently if you turn off True Tone, it goes away and it does when I tested it. However, I could so hear maybe like 10%. Sold my Jitterbug too.

Got myself a Chord Mojo instead.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4,437 of 5,077
Hi there,
I'm wondering if others are having trouble with the DFR and Spotify on Android (specifically 8.1.0 on Essential Phone)? I updated the DFR firmware a few months ago so Android volume worked without UAPP. Now for some reason I'm not getting any sound at all through the DFR when using Spotify. I get sound using the dongle that came with the phone and I get sound using the DFR and UAPP. Is there a setting I'm missing or something?
I've been using Spotify since X-Mas time-ish and mostly just find it to be a PITA.

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #4,438 of 5,077
Hi All, any updates of using the old camera adapter to iOS devices running 11.3 to 11.4? Are there any issues running it with Tidal or Spotify? Thanks in advance!

I eventually had to sell my DFR (with CCK cable) because of popping/crackling noises when using it with my iPhone X.

I know this is an iPhone X specific problem. Apparently if you turn off True Tone, it goes away and it does when I tested it. However, I could so hear maybe like 10%. Sold my Jitterbug too.

Got myself a Chord Mojo instead.

Just tried Spotify with DFR and CCK2 on my iPhone X running 11.4. I have True Tone disabled and no problems, so confirming @Colors observation as well.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,440 of 5,077
Just tried Spotify with DFR and CCK2 on my iPhone X running 11.4. I have True Tone disabled and no problems, so confirming @Colors observation as well.

I have the same results... without disabling True Tone. In the past, with my iPhone 6S I was using the CCK3 with the DFR, because the CCK2 was producing clicks and pops with the DFR. I eventually bought the iPhone X, I upgraded iOS from 11.3 up to 11.4. But even before 11.4 I switched back to the CCK2 with my new iPhone X and I never suffered from any clicks and pops like before. Same with iOS 11.4. And I never disabled True Tone anytime in the past or in the present.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back