New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 6, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #4,066 of 5,077
I bought them both and for me the difference between Red and Black is huge. The Red allows you to hear every small detail in the music. They have a “cold” sound to them, I would say. Everything sounds very bright and clear but at the same time smooth.

Analytically I was extremely impressed by the DFR, but here’s the weird thing: I didn’t enjoy the music through them. While providing all the detail, they somehow sucked the soul out of the recordings. I can’t really explain it, but when I bought the DFB, I sold the DFR.

The Black is much more enjoyable to me, a warmer sound than with the Red. Maybe not as much separation between the individual sounds as the Red, but so much more detail than listening directly from my laptop.

YMMV but that was my experience. BTW, I used them both with my MDR-1A, Momentum 2.0, and Panasonic HD10 headphones, listening to classic rock, modern pop, and the like.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #4,067 of 5,077
I bought them both and for me the difference between Red and Black is huge. The Red allows you to hear every small detail in the music. They have a “cold” sound to them, I would say. Everything sounds very bright and clear but at the same time smooth.

Analytically I was extremely impressed by the DFR, but here’s the weird thing: I didn’t enjoy the music through them. While providing all the detail, they somehow sucked the soul out of the recordings. I can’t really explain it, but when I bought the DFB, I sold the DFR.

The Black is much more enjoyable to me, a warmer sound than with the Red. Maybe not as much separation between the individual sounds as the Red, but so much more detail than listening directly from my laptop.

YMMV but that was my experience. BTW, I used them both with my MDR-1A, Momentum 2.0, and Panasonic HD10 headphones, listening to classic rock, modern pop, and the like.
I completely understand your thoughts on the red. The detail is amazing, but it's not a super wide soundstage or a very musical presentation. Compared to a mojo, the mojo is much more enjoyable/musical. I had my DFR for over a year before I started thinking of other options. Connected it to a JDS Labs C5 portable amp. A little less detail, wider soundstage, warmer/much more musical presentation. Very close to being on par with mojo now, so am very happy with this combination

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,068 of 5,077
I completely understand your thoughts on the red. The detail is amazing, but it's not a super wide soundstage or a very musical presentation. Compared to a mojo, the mojo is much more enjoyable/musical. I had my DFR for over a year before I started thinking of other options. Connected it to a JDS Labs C5 portable amp. A little less detail, wider soundstage, warmer/much more musical presentation. Very close to being on par with mojo now, so am very happy with this combination
The great thing about the dragonfly is how small it is. Not wanting to invest in a whole setup, I’m happy with the DFB. I can put it in my headphone pouch and use it at work or wherever, nothing to plug in, no batteries to worry about. So far I’m satisfied. But knowing myself, I’ll probably be upgrading again at some point.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #4,069 of 5,077
I have the DFR and I love it. But I do sometimes wonder how it compares to other similarly priced DACs, like the Schiit stack (Modi 2/Magni) combo. I mainly use the DFR with my MBP, but I seem to often listen to music at a desk, so I'm wondering if I should get a desktop DAC/amp combo.

Either way, for now the DFR is excellent and sounds better than the Fiio E17 I was using before.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #4,071 of 5,077
I recently bought the Dragonfly Red but it has problems when I connect it via the camera cable to my Iphone 6s. It constantly has a crackling, every few seconds. Could that be interference from the phone? Weirdly there are no problems if I connect my Mojo or Hugo 2 over the same cable to the same phone. And the Dragonfly works without problems when connected to the Laptop. Did I receive a broken unit? Thanks

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #4,072 of 5,077
I recently bought the Dragonfly Red but it has problems when I connect it via the camera cable to my Iphone 6s. It constantly has a crackling, every few seconds. Could that be interference from the phone? Weirdly there are no problems if I connect my Mojo or Hugo 2 over the same cable to the same phone. And the Dragonfly works without problems when connected to the Laptop. Did I receive a broken unit? Thanks

It is a well known and documented problem with the DFR and Apple Camera CCK adapter. You must use the CCK USB 3.0 lightning adapter, the one with both the usb and the lightning connector on one end and a lightning connector on the other end. This newer CCK connector doesn’t have the clicking issue you are reporting. Even Audioquest reports problem on their web site with the usb2 CCK connector using the DFR and recommends the CCK 3.0 instead. Besides, you may use the connector for the DFR and charge your iOS phone or ipad at the same time using this newer CCK.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #4,073 of 5,077
It is a well known and documented problem with the DFR and Apple Camera CCK adapter. You must use the CCK USB 3.0 lightning adapter, the one with both the usb and the lightning connector on one end and a lightning connector on the other end. This newer CCK connector doesn’t have the clicking issue you are reporting. Even Audioquest reports problem on their web site with the usb2 CCK connector using the DFR and recommends the CCK 3.0 instead. Besides, tou may use the connector fir the DFR and charge your iOS phone or ipad at the same time using this newer CCK.

Thanks so much for the answer. I did not know about this. I assume there is no "smaller" solution available? It adds bulk that I tried to reduce with the dragonfly in the first place...

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #4,074 of 5,077
Thanks so much for the answer. I did not know about this. I assume there is no "smaller" solution available? It adds bulk that I tried to reduce with the dragonfly in the first place...

I do not know any other alternative connector, you may check on ebay. I use the bulkier CCK 3.0 and it doesn’t cause me any problems, you get used to it and the concomitant charging advantage is nice to have.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #4,075 of 5,077
I bought a small adapter off ebay for $10 and it works fine with no crackling sounds. If you want the smaller one you may have to try a few till you find one that works? Or maybe it is related to your iOS device. Here is what audioqest has in their FAQ:
When connected to an iOS device using the recommended Camera Connection Kit, my DragonFly Red or Black exhibits clicks and pops in the background of the music. What should I do?
In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black or Red causes a clicking in the background of the music.
Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why that is, but in circumstances where this occurs we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and gives the end user the ability to charge their iOS device while listening to music.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #4,076 of 5,077
I bought a small adapter off ebay for $10 and it works fine with no crackling sounds. If you want the smaller one you may have to try a few till you find one that works? Or maybe it is related to your iOS device. Here is what audioqest has in their FAQ:
When connected to an iOS device using the recommended Camera Connection Kit, my DragonFly Red or Black exhibits clicks and pops in the background of the music. What should I do?
In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black or Red causes a clicking in the background of the music.
Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why that is, but in circumstances where this occurs we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and gives the end user the ability to charge their iOS device while listening to music.

This sounds a bit as if not all Iphone+Dragonfly Reds were affected by this. Would it make sense to exchange the dragonfly or send it back to audioquest for investigation?

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,077 of 5,077
This sounds a bit as if not all Iphone+Dragonfly Reds were affected by this. Would it make sense to exchange the dragonfly or send it back to audioquest for investigation?
I can’t recall where I read this but the iPhone 6,6+,6s, and 6s+ were the affected phones. I could be missing some others but those are the ones I remember. Personally I have the same problem using the older cck with the 6s+ and with the new cck there are no issues.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #4,078 of 5,077
It has nothing to do with the Dragonfly. It's an issue with updated iOS and particular USB2 cck adapters.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #4,079 of 5,077
I have a USB3 adapter and two USB2 adapters with an iPhone 8+, 6 and 5S and have none of those cracking or interruption issues. I used to have occasional ones with the USB2 ones but that was many months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back