New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 18, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,211 of 5,077
  Do the AudioQuest DragonFlys have a time-out/safety feature?  Just noticing that sometimes I need to unplug and plug in my DragonFly to get sound again in Windows10.

Not had that on Windows 7, and I have my Dragonfly plugged in all the time. The PC is my main source and the DF gets used several hours every evening.

One thing that occurs to me to check is the power settings. I;m not familiar with Windows 10 but maybe it is set to power down peripheral ports not in use, or something. There is a USB suspend in Windows 7 power settings.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #3,212 of 5,077

Not had that on Windows 7, and I have my Dragonfly plugged in all the time. The PC is my main source and the DF gets used several hours every evening.

One thing that occurs to me to check is the power settings. I;m not familiar with Windows 10 but maybe it is set to power down peripheral ports not in use, or something. There is a USB suspend in Windows 7 power settings.

Yep I have USB suspend disabled.  When it happens the DragonFly still has power (green light is on) just no sound.  I tested the driver last time but all seems fine but I can not test sound under device properties though which is strange. Seems to happen when either Chrome (YouTube) and/or Foobar2k is open; when the sound goes off all other sound is effected as well.... no system sound.  I simply unplug and plug in the DragonFly and it works again.  Must be some setting I have wrong somewhere in Windows 10.

I only have one (1) playback device activated and set as default.  Motherboard audio has been turned off in the BIOS. Both Sleep and Hibernation are disabled as well.  All enhancements are disabled (off).

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3,213 of 5,077
  totally understand that but everyone has different issues as some other CCK 3 still worked well after undated ios 

Curious as to whether the people who are having problems with the 10.3.x/USB-3 CCK combination have updated the firmware on their CCKs.  Maybe that is necessary to get them to play well.  And yes, I know several people have complained about a deterioration in sound quality after the update, so proceed at your own risk.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #3,215 of 5,077
  Just got the DF Red. Can't notice a huge improvement in sound on my 2014 Macbook Pro, sounds ever so slightly clearer (i think, probably just imagining it). It does help the bass a tiny bit. Is it worth £170? Not a chance imo. I guess what I read about macs having decent dacs. Not sure whether to return it or swap for the DF Black.

update: the best way i can describe it, is that it changes the sound a bit, not doesn't necessarily improve it.

I must say... I have the DFR for about 2 weeks now and this is EXACTLY how I would describe it. Maybe the benefits are more noticable with a phone, but with a Macbook Pro (mine is mid-2012) I'm not hearing any improvements, just a little change in the sound. The bass is a bit cleaner and I hear more echo with the voices but that's it, it's hardly noticable.
I picked the DFR for my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO, since they are 250 ohms, but to my surprise, they are quite easy to drive and the volume that I get straight from my mac is enough. Of course with the dfr I can get more volume and it's more enjoyable but sound quality wise.. I can't really distinguish the dfr from my mac. Veeeeeeeery subtle and minor changes in the sound like I said, and for 199$, I was hoping for a dramatic improvement.

I'm quite disappointed, I ordered another dfr and will be sending mine back, juste to be sure it wasn't defective or anything. I'll post an update.
But if it sounds the same, I'm thinking to either get another usb DAC/amp, the LH LABS GO2A or a desktop dac, the Sony UDA-1. Did anyone had the chance to test either of these, and maybe compared it with the dfr ?

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,216 of 5,077
I must say... I have the DFR for about 2 weeks now and this is EXACTLY how I would describe it. Maybe the benefits are more noticable with a phone, but with a Macbook Pro (mine is mid-2012) I'm not hearing any improvements, just a little change in the sound. The bass is a bit cleaner and I hear more echo with the voices but that's it, it's hardly noticable.
I picked the DFR for my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO, since they are 250 ohms, but to my surprise, they are quite easy to drive and the volume that I get straight from my mac is enough. Of course with the dfr I can get more volume and it's more enjoyable but sound quality wise.. I can't really distinguish the dfr from my mac. Veeeeeeeery subtle and minor changes in the sound like I said, and for 199$, I was hoping for a dramatic improvement.

I'm quite disappointed, I ordered another dfr and will be sending mine back, juste to be sure it wasn't defective or anything. I'll post an update.

But if it sounds the same, I'm thinking to either get another usb DAC/amp, the LH LABS GO2A or a desktop dac, the Sony UDA-1. Did anyone had the chance to test either of these, and maybe compared it with the dfr ?

I suggest letting the DFR burn in. Not the typical burn in that people are argue about but brain burn in. Use the DFR exclusively for as long as the return window allows and once you've gotten used to it go back to the Mac and see if you miss anything.

I find that night and day differences are more prevalent with swapping headphones than swapping amps and DACs. However, once you're​ used to the extra details you definitely notice when they're not there.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #3,217 of 5,077
I suggest letting the DFR burn in. Not the typical burn in that people are argue about but brain burn in. Use the DFR exclusively for as long as the return window allows and once you've gotten used to it go back to the Mac and see if you miss anything.

I find that night and day differences are more prevalent with swapping headphones than swapping amps and DACs. However, once you're​ used to the extra details you definitely notice when they're not there.

Once the new DFR will come, I'll have 60 days to play with it and will do exactly that, thx !

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,218 of 5,077

Hideeho
I use my DFB w/ my iphone when portable in the car & walking around (iPhone to head unit & iPhone to iems) & on my PC occasionally (pc to HE-400i), but I have used it on my son’s Macbook pro. My son & I had the same experience as you with it. It seems the DAC in the Macbook is fairly decent (as opposed to the one in the iPhone…). I am surprised you are getting enough volume out of the Macbook though. I found it did not get loud enough for my HE-400i’s. Don’t get me wrong, it got loud, just not loud enough & nowhere near to loud (100% volume & I still wanted more…). That is pure personal opinion though, my son found it loud enough.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #3,220 of 5,077
Anyone have a recent update on the MQA update for the DFR / DFB to work with Tidal? It was originally supposed to be early January....
The issue is not the dragonfly. the software to render MQA is operational. There have been other UNFORSEEN issues between different vendors that are still trying to be worked out. The COs are cooperating and trying to get the issues handled. (purposely a little vague as to not throw any CO under the bus.) The issue is being worked on by all parties.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3,221 of 5,077
The issue is not the dragonfly. the software to render MQA is operational. There have been other UNFORSEEN issues between different vendors that are still trying to be worked out. The COs are cooperating and trying to get the issues handled. (purposely a little vague as to not throw any CO under the bus.) The issue is being worked on by all parties.

Thanks - where did you get the information if I may ask?  

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,222 of 5,077
  Thanks - where did you get the information if I may ask?  

This what AQ told me a week or so ago:

The new firmware for Android is ready, but we’re still waiting for Microsoft to approve the update program for Windows. If they don’t approve/certify it, most computers won’t run it.

As for MQA, it’s all down to Tidal. They haven’t managed to get their version of streaming for renderers correct yet. MQA are working directly with Tidal to try and get this finished.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,223 of 5,077
I recently got this second hand. Plugged it into my desktop PC. It actually sounded WORSE than my stock sound card. And I can't remember what soundcard I used, but it was not an expensive one. Is there anything I can do or need to do to make it work better?

I tried updating driver. says it's using the latest driver.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3,224 of 5,077
It actually bases on the headphone you are using atm. As my camfire Andromeda has huge improve for bass part and the SS has huge with more than holography when I connect to laptop ( cannot get same response with my Iphone). Hope the Sony Wm1a could bring the same effect like DFR + laptop

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3,225 of 5,077
Curious as to whether the people who are having problems with the 10.3.x/USB-3 CCK combination have updated the firmware on their CCKs.  Maybe that is necessary to get them to play well.  And yes, I know several people have complained about a deterioration in sound quality after the update, so proceed at your own risk.

When I did the update on the CCK lightning, that's when my DFR crashed. Red light comes on but no audio in my cans. Audio only from my IPhone 6S.
Works on my PC just fine though. im really ticked off as I only had it for less then a week, then.....crash!! Not to thrilled about sitting in the Apple Store (need to trouble shoot with them) for probably 3 hours before a rep even gets to me because that place is a zoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back