New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 16, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #3,197 of 5,077
Nice but quite expensive...

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #3,200 of 5,077
Just got the DF Red. Can't notice a huge improvement in sound on my 2014 Macbook Pro, sounds ever so slightly clearer (i think, probably just imagining it). It does help the bass a tiny bit. Is it worth £170? Not a chance imo. I guess what I read about macs having decent dacs. Not sure whether to return it or swap for the DF Black.

update: the best way i can describe it, is that it changes the sound a bit, not doesn't necessarily improve it.

it makes the sound brighter and thinner then the mac, especially with headphones that have small impedance.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,201 of 5,077
  Any confirmation that it plays well with iOS 10.3?

In reference to the Lavricable CCK replacement cable, mine arrived this morning, and after extensive testing I have found that sadly it does not.

iPhone 6s+, iOS 10.3.1, sim-free model (on T-Mobile), 128GB, non-jailbroken. Tested locally-stored music via Cesium and streaming Tidal HiFi.

After 20-30 seconds of playing,  the "device not supported" message pops up and music routes to the speaker. Rebooting the phone resets things, but the error happens again.

Now, the lightning connector on the Lavricable is ever so shorter than the stock Apple one; just by the tiniest amount, but enough that it doesn't "click" when inserted, although the connection IS secure. So I thought maybe the problem was a poor connection, especially since I did my tests holding the phone and playing with the cable to test flexibility.

So, another reboot, and this time I plugged everything in beforehand, inserted the IEMs, and carefully started playing music without jiggling the cables. Same problem, 30-or-so seconds in and the "unsupported device" message popped up.

My final (and extremely tedious) series of tests involved the sequence in which I plugged things in. Cable to phone then DFR to cable, DFR to cable then cable to phone, etc. No difference any which way, always got the "device not supported" message after 20-30 seconds of play. These test were also performed with the whole setup on my desk and with no cable jiggle.

The only thing I haven't tested is using an Alesis USB midi keyboard and Blue Yeti USB microphone with the cable. Both devices work fine with the CCK, so I might get lucky and be able to dedicate the Lavricable to one of those. Edit: no go. Same exact problem with these devices, both on the iPhone and on an iPad Mini 4 running 10.3.1.

I will say though that the cable is attractive, well-constructed, and shipped VERY quickly (same day I ordered or the very next morning, can't remember which, but it was super-fast).

I just clicked on the link. It's out of stock! ☹️

I think you dodged a bullet there!

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #3,202 of 5,077
I have original dragonfly v1 and dragonfly v1.2

As I favor the SQ of dragonfly v1 overwhelmingly, is the red closer to v1.2 ( I hate) or original v1?

Tia to all answers.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3,203 of 5,077
With regards to Lightning to USB adapters, I think those of you buying expensive 3rd party variants are at a real risk of throwing your money down the drain.

The Lightning port is proprietary, and Apple controls it. As we've seen, a simple iOS update is enough to hobble the functionality of these cables.

As much as I would like to see some competition in the market, the reality is that if you want a chance of a Lightning to USB cable to actually function correctly, then Apple's own CCK is the only way to go, and then only the CCK USB 3 (the larger one with the additional Lightning port) as people have also had problems with the smaller USB 2 cable on iOS 10.3+

As always you pay your money and take your choice, but one additional advantage with the original Apple adapters is that there is a no quibble guarantied money back return window should the cable fail to function to your requirements.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #3,209 of 5,077
  Just wanted to let you know that not everyone lives in country with Apple Stores or have one nearby

errr..... apple sells em online with pretty fast free shippin too(B&H as well).not all apple store carry them, i was surprised when i found out that apple store in union square SF doesn't have them ended up ordering online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back