New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 6, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #2,852 of 5,077
Been loving my DFR since last May. It has forced me to expand my musical tastes, upgrade my headphones, and have a dedicated DAP. I decided to finally go ahead and purchase a jitterbug to see if there was anything extra to be had out of my current home or mobile setup. While listening I tried to tell myself I was only hearing what I wanted to hear, but after constant replays and going back and forth, I have concluded that the jitterbug is in fact a worthy purchase if you are working with good hardware. Out of my laptop with Tidal hi-fi, dfr, and Cayin C5 to AKG Q701 bass modded with new foam inserts, I love the added, um, sweetness to the music. It just sounds cleaner and more resolute, IDK. Same can be said with DFR coming from my rooted Sony Z3 on Android 4.4.4 w/hifi audio over usb. Thank you AQ.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #2,854 of 5,077
Hello Everyone, 

I have been using the usb 2.0 CCK with Iphone 7+ and it has been working fine (with crackling). however now, when i plug it in it says "this accessory is not supported by this iphone" and i have to plug it in and unplug it 10 times for it to work. does anyone else have this issue? 

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #2,855 of 5,077
I've been having something strange happen. Since I bought my DFR it's been working great, operating both out of my MBP and my Android phone. However the last couple times I've tried to use it out of my phone after a few seconds of starting the music it stopped playing and a red light started blinking. My understanding this means, "no data". I'm confused about what's causing this, or if something in the DFR broke. Anybody experience something similar?

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,860 of 5,077
Mar 6, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2,861 of 5,077

isn't that double amping already?

I asked the same question. The explanation I was given was that the Dragonfly is designed to run at full output and uses attenuation to control volume so it wouldn't be double amping.

I'm not sure whether or not that explanation is correct but I've used the DFB with an amp and other have posted doing the same so you shouldn't have any problems doing it.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #2,862 of 5,077
I'm using a DFB with Android 7.1.1 (cypheros ROM, AOSP based, rooted) with my HTC M8. When i connect the DFB it lits up in green. Once i start Spotify it switches to magenta (as reported multiple times in this thread).

Using the DFB in this mode with Spotify results in random distortions in audio playback with Spotify.

So i edit audio_policy.conf (after backing up the original one) as proposed by West0ne. After reboot i attached the DFB again -> lits up in magenta. When i start playing music in Spotify the audio is not passed to DFB but played via speakers.

The effect stays the same even after restoring the original audio_policy.conf and rebooting. The only way to get back to the original behaviour was dirty flashing system.

Does anybody else have any experiences with using DFB with Android 7?

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,863 of 5,077
when i plug it in it says "this accessory is not supported by this iphone"

This happened to me a few months ago, initially I thought it was the Dragonfly, but it happened when I just plugged in the CCK adaptor on both my iPhone and my wife's. I took the CCK back to an Apple Store, same thing happened when I plugged it into one of their display iPhones and they replaced it for new, no questions asked.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #2,864 of 5,077
I'm using a DFB with Android 7.1.1 (cypheros ROM, AOSP based, rooted) with my HTC M8. When i connect the DFB it lits up in green. Once i start Spotify it switches to magenta (as reported multiple times in this thread).

Using the DFB in this mode with Spotify results in random distortions in audio playback with Spotify.

So i edit audio_policy.conf (after backing up the original one) as proposed by West0ne. After reboot i attached the DFB again -> lits up in magenta. When i start playing music in Spotify the audio is not passed to DFB but played via speakers.

The effect stays the same even after restoring the original audio_policy.conf and rebooting. The only way to get back to the original behaviour was dirty flashing system.

Does anybody else have any experiences with using DFB with Android 7?

I'm not using Nougat on my devices but I thought that the audio_policy.conf had changed with Android 7 and was now using XML based files for audio policies, do you have a file called 'usb_audio_policy_configuration.xml on your device'?

[EDIT]
I also think that some devices simply don't respect the audio_policy.conf file the way they should. Samsung Touchwiz seems to have the same issue but Samsung running a CM based Rom does follow the audio policy.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2,865 of 5,077
  I'm not using Nougat on my devices but I thought that the audio_policy.conf had changed with Android 7 and was now using XML based files for audio policies, do you have a file called 'usb_audio_policy_configuration.xml on your device'?

[EDIT]
I also think that some devices simply don't respect the audio_policy.conf file the way they should. Samsung Touchwiz seems to have the same issue but Samsung running a CM based Rom does follow the audio policy.

You are right. But according to this specification: https://source.android.com/devices/audio/implement-policy.html the Audio_policy.conf is deprecated but still supported. There are no xml files in my /system/etc path so i think the ROM (Cypheros AOSP) somehow relies on the Audio_policy.conf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back