New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #2,866 of 5,077
How do these compare to Explorer2?

I may be able to help ...  I've been running a DFB for a few months and find the sound amazing.  I have a DFB on order which should arrive this evening.  I am planning to compare and contrast DFB to DFR now that TIDAL is working better following the recent update.  TIDAL now seems to be working properly with Masters playback (albeit not with MQA yet - until Audioquest provides upgraded firmware).

I've also had a Meridian Explorer 2 for the past few weeks; just to see whether MQA made a major difference.  And it does.  MQA through TIDAL does sound different; fuller, bigger soundstage, "more like you are in the studio".  However, in general, the sound quality of the Explorer 2 isn't as good as the DFB, so I have decided to send it back to Amazon, later on, today.

My view is that MQA through the DFB (and/or DFR) will simply be the icing on the cake of what are clearly great sounding devices.  I am using TIDAL and Roon on various PCs, plus TIDAL on iPad and Samsung Galaxy S5.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,867 of 5,077
How do these compare to Explorer2?

I may be able to help ...  I've been running a DFB for a few months and find the sound amazing.  I have a DFB on order which should arrive this evening.  I am planning to compare and contrast DFB to DFR now that TIDAL is working better following the recent update.  TIDAL now seems to be working properly with Masters playback (albeit not with MQA yet - until Audioquest provides upgraded firmware).

I've also had a Meridian Explorer 2 for the past few weeks; just to see whether MQA made a major difference.  And it does.  MQA through TIDAL does sound different; fuller, bigger soundstage, "more like you are in the studio".  However, in general, the sound quality of the Explorer 2 isn't as good as the DFB, so I have decided to send it back to Amazon, later on, today.

My view is that MQA through the DFB (and/or DFR) will simply be the icing on the cake of what are clearly great sounding devices.  I am using TIDAL and Roon on various PCs, plus TIDAL on iPad and Samsung Galaxy S5.

Okay thank you I expected it to follow between the to or be very close to red. But if you like black better that is supprising.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,868 of 5,077
I've been having something strange happen. Since I bought my DFR it's been working great, operating both out of my MBP and my Android phone. However the last couple times I've tried to use it out of my phone after a few seconds of starting the music it stopped playing and a red light started blinking. My understanding this means, "no data". I'm confused about what's causing this, or if something in the DFR broke. Anybody experience something similar?

Well apparently the blinking red light means it's broken. I somehow got a unit that failed. I'm sending it back to Amazon for a replacement. Might try the black this time however... I'm curious about the difference.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,869 of 5,077
Hi,

I am new to this. I've got dragonfly red and downloaded USB Audio Player Pro. Could someone advise me on what DSD mode should I select. There are DSD to PCM conversion, DoP(DSD over PCM) and Native DSD.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,870 of 5,077
DSD to PCM. It's doesn't do DSD directly.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,872 of 5,077
For what its worth I asked question again and had reply so hopefully the MQA update will have a fix for the Android volume issue:

QUESTION
Hi Alasdair,

Any news on this as I'm really waiting on the android volume fix ?  Its been nearly a year now and your last email at beginning of Feb said couple of weeks?

Thanks

Andrew

ANSWER

Dear Andrew,

It shouldn’t be more than a couple of weeks now.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick
AudioQuest

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #2,875 of 5,077
  has anyone compared the sound quality/tonaliy with the ibasso D14? whats the difference between the two?

I prefer the sound from the D14 to the DFB. In my opinion it's more detailed and neutral with greater depth and clarity. Obviously the size/form of the DFB make it more convenient for use on the go and it is considerably cheaper.

It's been a while since I tried the DFR so wouldn't really want to offer a comparison between it and the D14 but I do remember the DFR being 'brighter' than the DFB.

If you are considering the D14 but don't need optical input then you may also want to look at the Oppo HA2 as it is a nicer form factor for portable use but is more expensive.

The D14 also offers more format options than the DFB/DFR and will play anything up to DSD256.

Price wise [in the UK] the D14 is a little under twice the price of the DFB and is about the same as the DFR.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,876 of 5,077
  I prefer the sound from the D14 to the DFB. In my opinion it's more detailed and neutral with greater depth and clarity. Obviously the size/form of the DFB make it more convenient for use on the go and it is considerably cheaper.

It's been a while since I tried the DFR so wouldn't really want to offer a comparison between it and the D14 but I do remember the DFR being 'brighter' than the DFB.

If you are considering the D14 but don't need optical input then you may also want to look at the Oppo HA2 as it is a nicer form factor for portable use but is more expensive.

The D14 also offers more format options than the DFB/DFR and will play anything up to DSD256.

Price wise [in the UK] the D14 is a little under twice the price of the DFB and is about the same as the DFR.

the D14 is neutral sound not warmish?

im looking for a better dac than the e10k that can be considered a step up for use on the philips X1 and  hifiman HE400i, the DFred will make the 400i really sharp on the highs wont it?

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #2,877 of 5,077
Originally Posted by c than the e10k that can be considered a step up for use on the philips X1 and  hifiman HE400i, the DFred will make the 400i really sharp on the highs wont it?
I would say that the D14 is wigglepuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  the D14 is neutral sound not warmish?

im looking for a better daneutral rather than warm.

Are you looking for something portable or a desktop type to replace the e10K?

Have you thought about using the line-out on the e10K to feed a separate amp, perhaps a tube amp or hybrid tube to give you the sound you want.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #2,878 of 5,077
Not exactly portable, as long as i can use it on the pc. isn't the dac the one dictating the detail quality? the amp only filters distortion and well amplify power output.

I did use the e10k to lineout an A5, it sounds cleaner since the A5 amp is a real upgrade compared to the e10k amp, but the pcm5102 is inferior compared to the 9018 isn't it? I'm looking for a dac that's well extented and can produce fine detail in the low's and high but wont make anything sibilant, I listen to a lot of alternative, acoustic and rock music.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #2,879 of 5,077
Not exactly portable, as long as i can use it on the pc. isn't the dac the one dictating the detail quality? the amp only filters distortion and well amplify power output.

I did use the e10k to lineout an A5, it sounds cleaner since the A5 amp is a real upgrade compared to the e10k amp, but the pcm5102 is inferior compared to the 9018 isn't it? I'm looking for a dac that's well extented and can produce fine detail in the low's and high but wont make anything sibilant, I listen to a lot of alternative, acoustic and rock music.

All I can say is that I've used the DFB, D14 and Fiio Q1 with my Vali 2 Amp and I think it is the Amp that influences the end sound more than the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back