New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #2,836 of 5,077
  Hideeho The point of the higher output level is to driver headphones with high impedance. While not super hard to drive, I set my to HE400i’s 40-50% either through the iPhone or through the computer.  AQ set the output intentionally high to cover everyone. p.s. If the DFB is too loud for you, don’t even think about trying the DFR. It’s even louder :wink:

This is a good reason not to buy this thing or wait until they build in a gain level function. Borderline unacceptable to me. Level 1 is near too loud, Level 2 and 3 you're about to blow your eardrums or headphones out.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,837 of 5,077

This is a good reason not to buy this thing or wait until they build in a gain level function. Borderline unacceptable to me. Level 1 is near too loud, Level 2 and 3 you're about to blow your eardrums or headphones out.

Gee on the iPhone 7 plus I have to jack the volume almost 90% on the DFR to get it loud with my Klipsch x20i's. Is this a Android issue only???

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,838 of 5,077

Gee on the iPhone 7 plus I have to jack the volume almost 90% on the DFR to get it loud with my Klipsch x20i's. Is this a Android issue only???

No. The issue with Android is that the volume is too low without using USB Audio Player Pro. The volume being too loud is a Windows problem. I notice it more with my laptop, which only has USB 3.0 ports, than my desktop, where I plug the DFR into a USB 2.0 port.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,840 of 5,077
No. The issue with Android is that the volume is too low without using USB Audio Player Pro. The volume being too loud is a Windows problem. I notice it more with my laptop, which only has USB 3.0 ports, than my desktop, where I plug the DFR into a USB 2.0 port.
I understand the volume issues people are detailing, thankfully I've been able to either not experience or remedy them on my devices. On laptop with Tidal giving full access to DAC, I can use the full volume spectrum with no issue. Silent up to too loud for my ears. Regarding Android, rooted device gives me what I need. Alsa_mixer and terminal emulator with volume steps on my clipboard. From there I just adjust the volume on the phone/dap. I know this isn't the way for most people, but until full optimized use is available, I've found my way to make full use of the dac. Now I just need mqa update and mqa on mobile, lol.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,843 of 5,077
@Devodonaldson - I use an app called '$cripter' to do volume changes. It allows you to run scripts and on a rooted device will allow you to run them as root. I've created a script for each of the headphones I use with my DFB, I've also created a script for maximum volume and one for '+' and another for '-' it allows me to use it like a volume controller without using a terminal window.

If you're interested the script for volume changes is:-

alsa_amixer -c1 -q set PCM 1dB+

This will increase volume, change the +  for a - to reduce volume.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,844 of 5,077
@Devodonaldson
 - I use an app called '$cripter' to do volume changes. It allows you to run scripts and on a rooted device will allow you to run them as root. I've created a script for each of the headphones I use with my DFB, I've also created a script for maximum volume and one for '+' and another for '-' it allows me to use it like a volume controller without using a terminal window.

If you're interested the script for volume changes is:-

alsa_amixer -c1 -q set PCM 1dB+

This will increase volume, change the +  for a - to reduce volume.
interesting. How do you use the + - command? I have a Sony z3 as my Dap. I rolled it back to Android 4.4.4 because on kit Kat, Sony allows for hi-fi audio over USB. On native apps like Google play music and Tidal, the z3 sends biyperfect audio to the dac, unlike on 5.0 and above. The only downside is the system volume gets set to max, so cannot adjust using volume rocker. No biggie. Purchased the Shure headphone kit that has volume control, do I set the DSC volume based on the headphones I use, and then adjust the volume with the analog wheel. It is honestly an awesome setup

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,845 of 5,077
@Devodonaldson - $cripter is a very simple app that allows you to run shell scripts. Once you have set up your scripts you have to open the app and tap the script to run it. The way I use it is to set the system volume to maximum and then control the output volume by changing the PCM output value direct on the Dragonfly similar to the hardware control in UAPP.

I once did something very similar in Tasker and then use App Factory to create a small volume control app but it was more involved than the simple $cripter approach. With Tasker you may be able to remap the volume buttons to run the volume script.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2,846 of 5,077
Have any Windows users tried using VB Audio ASIO Bridge and Asio4All with apps such as Spotify that don't support ASIO?

As I understand it Asio Bridge creates a virtual sound card that grabs the audio from any audio app before it does through the Windows audio system and passes it onto you Asio device, as there are no ASIO drivers for the Dragonfly Asio4All is providing the ASIO part. The aim is that you end up with a bitperfect stream from apps that wouldn't normally support it.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,847 of 5,077
Guys I can't get my DFR light green.
I changed in audio policy usb to 44100 only, checked it, rebooted but having still magenta light. Need help!
Tried on Note 4 and Galaxy Tab S2. Also did build.prop changes.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,848 of 5,077
Hello,

I am in possession of a DFB that I am using with my phone (a S7) and I am using TIDAL with UAPP but when working offshore I can't stream music so I am using tidal app and play my offline albums.
I understand that the only way to get these folders processed the right way is to root my phone but I am not confident in doing that manipulation on my phone.

My question is:
If TIDAL provide a new app for androids and iphones that handles MQA then unfolding (in the app) and renderer (in the DF) shouldn't it fix the DF issue even for FLAC format so we get green when it's CD quality and amber when it's MQA?

Or maybe I am mixing get everything up...

and thank you for all these interesting discussions.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,849 of 5,077
Just received my DFR. Using iPhone 7 plus, Tidal HiFi, Heir Audio 4.ais. Sound is noticeably cleaner and has more impact down low. It's hard for me to describe the difference. It produces a special sound. Using the lightning to USB 2 camera kit I have heard a few pops. Seems to only happen when it is close to the phone. I was going to use a piece of velcro to secure it to the back of my phone. When it was laying surface to surface with the phone is when I heard the pops. When it is just laying separate from the phone there are no pops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back