New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,747 of 5,077
I havent had the 'pops and clicks' issues, but the 3.5mm on my DFB is sketchy after a little over 12 months use : I admit that it has lived a hard life in my backpack etc but that goes for every other budget portable DAC/amp I've owned. I dont have to rotate the headphone jack in any of my other gear to get a worthwhile connection - its disappointing in a product that is otherwise superb VFM.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #2,748 of 5,077
any chance to connect a fiio x1 with a dragonfly ?

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,749 of 5,077
Feb 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,750 of 5,077
Does the Dragonfly Black have volume issues with Android, or is it just a thing with the Dragonfly Red?

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,752 of 5,077
Ah yes, I've found that to be the case with the DDR I have and my OnePlus One. However it would be really nice to be able to use other apps as well... But there in lies the problem!

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,753 of 5,077
The OnePlus One is supposedly easy enough to Root so if you're willing you can take that approach to gain full access to volume of the DFB/DFR at a system level and get full volume in any app, it doesn't get over the re-sampling issue though.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,754 of 5,077
ANDROID phone turned DAP with dfr
I've been using the DFR since last April. In general, I love how it has opened my eyes (ears) to enjoying many different genres of music. I'm an Android guy hands down, and had previously been using UAPP for my streaming needs with Tidal. This was great when I was on WIFI, but the fact that stored Tidal tracks can't be played always made me sad. I decided to spend a little cash and stop using my phone for music and have a dap. After some research I realized that all Android based dap's were running Android 4.4.4, come to find out it is because this is the last version of Android where usb audio wasn't natively included, therefore no automatic up sampling. 2014 Sony Z3 does hifi playback over USB audio on the original 4.4.4 rom. I purchased a used z3 for approx $100, rooted, and rolled it back to the original 4.4.4 rom. Now I have my dfr connected and when using Tidal app natively I get that beautiful green color showing 44.1 and for downloaded music, and for locally stored flac files I can play them in Google Play music, and the dfr color changes based on sampling rate of the track. Love my zx3 turned DAP w/dfr for a fraction of the cost of a dedicated DAP.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,755 of 5,077
I already have my phone rooted and whatnot so theoretically the volumes not an issue if I find a system work around? Anyone know how I would go about doing this?

I don't totally understand the resampling however. It sounds like from what devodonaldson says that all Android OS after 4.4.4 resample automatically.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,756 of 5,077
I already have my phone rooted and whatnot so theoretically the volumes not an issue if I find a system work around? Anyone know how I would go about doing this?

I don't totally understand the resampling however. It sounds like from what devodonaldson says that all Android OS after 4.4.4 resample automatically.

If you have a look at some of my previous posts in this thread there are instructions on how to deal with the volume issues on rooted devices.

It doesn't address resampling so you are likely to find everything plays back at a set bitrate, although even this can vary from device to device.

If you're feeling brave you can edit the 'build.prop' and 'audio_policy.conf' files to get everything that plays through system to play at 44100, anything using UAPP in bitperfect mode will still play at the correct rate.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,757 of 5,077
Ah ok cool! Thanks for the help!

I found your post and was able to implement it. Now does AlsaMixer set the Dragonfly to 100% each time I restart my phone automatically? Any lead on how to set the 'build.prop' and 'audio_policy.conf' files to 44100?

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,758 of 5,077
AlsaMixer won't reset your DF to 100% on connection. I just use Tasker to run the command everytime I plug in.

Editing the system files is more tricky, it worked on my S5 and on a Moto G, both running CM13 but not on my S7E with rooted stock. Your luck may vary.

Backup fully before amending your system files and make sure you are able to restore from a custom recovery.

'audio_policy.conf' - look for the entry for USB_DEVICE and change the number against sample rate to 44100 and get rid of anything else (most likely 48000).

For 'build.prop' I suggest you do some searching for your specific device and ROM as the entries may vary. I will follow up with my entries later.

As noted these changes mean my S5 and Moto G now output all system audio at 44100 but I don't know if Android is doing anything with the audio in the background still and as the volume buttons still work and are software there is obviously some processing going on so it isn't bitperfect. These changes also mean than audio at higher rates than 44100 end up being out at 44100 unless anew app that can talk to the DAC directly is used. This works for me as I mainly stream Spotify and for anything else use UAPP. My S5 is now effectively my DAP and my S7E is my daily use phone.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #2,759 of 5,077
Awesome. Thanks for all the information! I'll give it a whirl when I have a bit more time.

On another note, are there *any* DACs that work with Android without tweaking? After reading a lot of posts it seems like even if AQ does update the dragonfly firmware we may still be running into these issues.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,760 of 5,077
AlsaMixer won't reset your DF to 100% on connection. I just use Tasker to run the command everytime I plug in.

Editing the system files is more tricky, it worked on my S5 and on a Moto G, both running CM13 but not on my S7E with rooted stock. Your luck may vary.

Backup fully before amending your system files and make sure you are able to restore from a custom recovery.

'audio_policy.conf' - look for the entry for USB_DEVICE and change the number against sample rate to 44100 and get rid of anything else (most likely 48000).

For 'build.prop' I suggest you do some searching for your specific device and ROM as the entries may vary. I will follow up with my entries later.

As noted these changes mean my S5 and Moto G now output all system audio at 44100 but I don't know if Android is doing anything with the audio in the background still and as the volume buttons still work and are software there is obviously some processing going on so it isn't bitperfect. These changes also mean than audio at higher rates than 44100 end up being out at 44100 unless anew app that can talk to the DAC directly is used. This works for me as I mainly stream Spotify and for anything else use UAPP. My S5 is now effectively my DAP and my S7E is my daily use phone.
I give you major credit. I couldn't bare to root my s7e, simply because I could not stand to go without Samsung pay. With their rewards program, and the smart way I have decided to use it to max out rewards for 50 transactions a month, I'm getting a $50 visa card from them every 4 months just for using the service. So, absolutely can't give that up to root.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back