New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 13, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #2,716 of 5,077
That's pretty disappointing news. I've no buffering issues with streaming MQA via Tidal on my Mac that uses a different DAC. However I'm hoping for the Tidal iOS app to get the MQA feature which will be used with my DFB.
Flawless operation currently with my iPhone 5s.

From emailing Tidal the mobile apps still have no set release date and by the sound of it that's where the buffering issues are and not on the desktop. So I guess audioquest is waiting for the mobile apps to be ready for Tidal since the desktop apps have no issues and are already released and working.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,717 of 5,077
By buffering issues do u guys mean the 'stuttering' sounds? That's what I hear when playing MQA tidal albums on my DFB. Wonder if it's the same thing.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,718 of 5,077
I get no buffering when streaming MQA through Tidal both when using and when not using my Dragonfly Red.  I listen mainly at work on our slow visitor network too so I wonder if the issue only pertains to certain types of computers (I'm using Mac) or what?  Bummer that we likely won't see the Dragonfly Update for a while now.  I wish they would just release the update - it's not like it's over the air or automatic.  Users need to manually install the update and if you have buffering issues, they could just instruct you to not update.

All this assumes they don't mean that buffering issues appear when using the DFB/DFR with their update and Tidal.  In that case, it seems more like an issue on the side of AudioQuest though.They clearly said it wasn't their problem.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,719 of 5,077
I just picked up a red and have noticed with my OnePlus One running Android 6.0.1 that before I start USB audio player pro it will allow me to play through any of my other players but at a much reduced volume. In UAPP however I have control over the hardware volume. Is this the volume issue everyone has been taking about in regards to Android?

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,720 of 5,077
I just picked up a red and have noticed with my OnePlus One running Android 6.0.1 that before I start USB audio player pro it will allow me to play through any of my other players but at a much reduced volume. In UAPP however I have control over the hardware volume. Is this the volume issue everyone has been taking about in regards to Android?

That's perfectly normal behaviour for the DFR/DFB and yes, that is the Android volume issue that everyone is referring to.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,722 of 5,077
Thats a bit disappointing. I'm loving this little thing through UAPP, but it'd be wonderful to be able to use it with other players.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,723 of 5,077
  I have been waiting for them to fix the DFR android audio issue but it doesn't seem like the fix is coming anytime soon. Might as well start looking at a different solution

After all this months I lost all hope, but past week the answer from Audioquest gave me some hopes again, but now the problem to solve seems only the compatibility with MQA.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,724 of 5,077

I have been waiting for them to fix the DFR android audio issue but it doesn't seem like the fix is coming anytime soon. Might as well start looking at a different solution

After all this months I lost all hope, but past week the answer from Audioquest gave me some hopes again, but now the problem to solve seems only the compatibility with MQA.

Sorry if someone has said this recently, but I'd couldn't seem to find it. What was their reply this last week that gave you hope?

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #2,728 of 5,077

Yes, that's exactly the issue on Android.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,729 of 5,077
On iPhones does the Dragonfly Red hardware volume set to 100%, then you adjust the software volume through the phone? I'm wondering if I'll even be able to use my Sonorous headphones at 100% hardware volume since they have such a low impedance (16ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back