New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 27, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,217 of 5,077
I am in love with the DFB as well. The only logical upgrade from the DFB/DFR would be the Chord Mojo for me. I've heard that piece of magic and it is fantastic, but multiple the price of the DF products.
The fact we don't have a second volume slider is a plus imho, that way they keep things simple and clean.

The chord mojo is definitely worth the upgrade from the df's, opens the sound stage up and separates music very well for a portable DAC/amp. Also has a sound that falls between the two df's or closer to neutral, the dfb being overly warm, dfr being bright.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,219 of 5,077
Not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere but if you are on Android and your phone is rooted you can install Alsa Mixer to adjust the DFB internal hardware volume. I couldn't find the right setting in the GUI version of Alsa Mixer but I was able to set it using a terminal emulator and command line. On my Samsung Galaxy S5 the internal hardware volume seems to default to 44. The only problem with this method is that the volume defaulted back to 44 on reboot and on unplugging/re-plugging the DFB so the commands had to be re-entered.

After installing Alsa Mixer open up a terminal emulator window and get root by typing 'su'.

Find your DFB by entering the command 'alsa_aplay -l' this will give you a list of the audio devices on the phone, my DFB was identified as Card 1.

Check the current levels by entering the command 'alsa_amixer -c1 contents' the one you're interested in is PCM volume which on mine had the numid=2 and a value=44.

Change the hardware volume by entering the command 'alsa_amixer -c1 cset numid=2 64' this will set the internal hardware to the maximum of 64 you can set any value between 0 and 64. The "-c1" relates to Card 1 which you found when you used the 'alsa_aplay -l' command if yours is a different card then use that number instead.

The hardware volume controls still work but the range from high to low is different and reflects the value you entered as the hardware volume.

Alsa Mixer will only work on rooted phones, I've only tested this on a rooted Galaxy S5 so I can't guarantee it will work on your device. The new volume levels work across all native apps including spotify, google music, YouTube etc. I only have a DFB so don't know if this will work with the DFR.

***EDIT***

Just tried this on my rooted Moto G (3rd Gen 2015) and have the exact same results, the DFB internal hardware volume defaults to 44 on this as well. Sitting here with K702 plugged in listening to spotify, can't turn the volume up to max as it's now too loud.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,221 of 5,077
Jul 28, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #1,222 of 5,077
Not a great review, I wonder if the dfr was even listened to, since this is the only reviewer that found the dfr to be warmer and more laid back sounding. The dfr is definitely known to be the brighter sounding with a more details and quickier timing, definitely not warmer, laid back with harder hitting deeper bass.

These units were handed to me personally during High End in Munich. It is the way they sound, that is all I can say. I'm listening to both units at this very moment and I couldn't possibly say the Red is brighter and quicker. It does have more detail though, I don't think I said Red had less detail, it is richer sounding. Red's bass isn't harder hitting, it is bigger in body but with better detail and layering. Black's bass seems tighter, punchier and faster.
It's perfectly fine you don't find it a good review, different people have different tastes. I haven't read any other reviews of these units myself and I'm sure AQ will react if they don't agree (but hey have read it already). Did you yourself hear both DF's side by side?

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #1,223 of 5,077
These units were handed to me personally during High End in Munich. It is the way they sound, that is all I can say. I'm listening to both units at this very moment and I couldn't possibly say the Red is brighter and quicker. It does have more detail though, I don't think I said Red had less detail, it is richer sounding. Red's bass isn't harder hitting, it is bigger in body but with better detail and layering. Black's bass seems tighter, punchier and faster.
It's perfectly fine you don't find it a good review, different people have different tastes. I haven't read any other reviews of these units myself and I'm sure AQ will react if they don't agree (but hey have read it already). Did you yourself hear both DF's side by side?

I owned both, found the dfb to be much warmer sounding, almost too warm sounding and lacking detail and separation. The dfr was very bright, too extended of highs for my personal taste with IEM's I use, but the dfr had better separation and detail. With Iem use the dfr lacked bass which is what a large group of people on head-fi have found, it's more layered but much softer bass with harsher highs. I went back to using the chord mojo, the df's were not for me. They're small but power hungry on your apple phone and I found them to only sound ok compared to the mojo.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #1,224 of 5,077
I owned both, found the dfb to be much warmer sounding, almost too warm sounding and lacking detail and separation. The dfr was very bright, too extended of highs for my personal taste with IEM's I use, but the dfr had better separation and detail. With Iem use the dfr lacked bass which is what a large group of people on head-fi have found, it's more layered but much softer bass with harsher highs. I went back to using the chord mojo, the df's were not for me. They're small but power hungry on your apple phone and I found them to only sound ok compared to the mojo.

ok, thanks for your feedback. I myself am not the biggest Mojo fan, our tastes clearly differ :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #1,227 of 5,077
Not a great review, I wonder if the dfr was even listened to, since this is the only reviewer that found the dfr to be warmer and more laid back sounding. The dfr is definitely known to be the brighter sounding with a more details and quickier timing, definitely not warmer, laid back with harder hitting deeper bass.

My friend - what is with you?!?! For starters, you keep dropping into a discussion dedicated to the new Dragonflies just to tell everyone you're not impressed with them and that Mojo is much better. I think one instance/comparison is fine...but you keep doing it over and over. There's already a thread dedicated to Mojo.

Second, this is a message board. That was a review. Both are SUBJECTIVE. It's rude (and not even accurate, as again this is subjective) to dismiss a contribution as "not great" and question whether someone actually even listened to them just because an opinion differed than yours.

Not trying to start a fight...just asking for a little tact.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #1,228 of 5,077
I like it too, and Hugo. Nice setup!

Thanks there with naim preamp, individually naim amped b and w nautilus speakers. Surprised you like the Dave, Hugo if you don't like the mojo, very similar signature. If anything the mojo is a little friendlier on recordings, also very different than the cheaper DACs on df's.

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #1,229 of 5,077
  fyi: DragonFly Black and Red have been reviewed on headfonia

http://www.headfonia.com/review-audioquest-dragonfly-red-black/

Great review - thanks for linking.

I like how all the factors are taken into account (price, portability, etc). I've found too many people dismiss DF vs Mojo STRICTLY on sound...but the reality is, we don't make purchase decisions based on one and only one factor. The fact that it's a third of the price...much more pocket-friendly...firmware upgradeable...AND great sounding (even if you don't think it's in the same solar system as Mojo) are all fantastic factors that should be considered.

Also, I don't understand the knock on battery/charging, because as I've said before -- you always have to charge something. If you go DF + Phone you have to charge your phone at some point...but the nice thing is you NEVER have to charge your DF. It's always 100% ready to plug and play. If you go Mojo + Phone, you have to charge your phone at some point AND you have to charge your Mojo at some point. It's only plug and play if you remembered to keep it juiced. There were times it ran low...I came back ready to listen to music...and it died after 10 minutes because I had forgotten to charge. Again, another factor that should be considered IMO.

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,230 of 5,077

Great review! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back