New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #766 of 5,077
  Can you elaborate more on that plugin for foobar? I installed it, but not sure I've set it up right.

I might be dreaming (edit, definitely not dreaming, it seems much better), but it might have made a difference for me on PC (setting system level at 20% then adjusting volume via foobar seems to be better than it was before)

I'm on DFB though.

(I also switched from a USB 3.0 to a standard USB 2 port, although not sure if/why that would make a difference)

Sorry, I am not a Foobar2000 expert.  I get confused easily when setting up also.  I did realize today that I can also get it to work with WASAPI using either (push) or (event).  Both sound good to me,  I do not know if one is better than the other.

After you install the plugin for WASAPI,  And re-start FOOBAR2000,..Then insert your DF   Then in Foobar, click on FILE then Preferences.  You should get a popup with "components" listed.  Select "Output".   On this page click on the small "down arrow thing" on the right of the Device Window.  You should see the DF listed there under WASAPI twice, and also as DS Speakers... Pick one of the Wasabi , I also set it for 24 Bit below Device,  and then Close the Preferences Window.     Then play some music !
(Remember, If your DFB is not plugged in,it won't show up as an output device)

I am using USB 3.0, so that should not be an issue..

Hope this helps some.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #767 of 5,077
  All portable DACs support headphones, hence the headphone port you can plug your headphones into. As for the little buttons that control volume, skip songs and pause/play, those do not work with any external DAC. This isn't an Audioquest limitation. DACs are there strictly to pull the digital files off of the source, decode them, amplify them and send them off to your music listening device of choice. Some DACs have control built into the DAC itself, like the FiiO E18 or Chord Mojo, but they will still not function with your headphone's controls. You're complaining about a solution to problem that doesn't exist. It's like asking why the zipper on your pants won't tie your shoes.

There are two lightning cable DACs with controls that I know of. The Cipher cable that comes with the Sine or the EL-8 and the another one that is permanently attached to a pair of IEMs.

Yup - I suspect that he doesnt grasp the difference between a DAP, complete with its own operating system, and a DAC/amp.  Modern DAPs running Android are effectively smartphones without the telephony capability, but we've had some 'interesting' firmware on various boutique DAPs over the last 5 or so years. Portable DACs, for all their technical wizardry, are a much dumber device : signals only go one way from the headphone/line output. I'm also a little perplexed by the notion that Audioquest should list all the things the Dragonfly will NOT do in it's marketing for the device - I realise that its not targeted at seasoned audiophiles, but I cant think of a single product that is sold on it's perceived 'weaknesses'. Reviews, FAQs and forums are much more likely to uncover the chinks in the armor.

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #768 of 5,077
I have just bought the Red and am very pleased so far. My high res flac files are on my IPad.
I use Onkyo HF player to access these and get the Dragonfly to display magenta confirming it is recieving 24/96 data.

My problems start with tiring to access my high res files on my NAS.
The Onkyo app does not have the facility to access network drives.

I haves tried various apps and to date I cannot get bit perfect data to be passed to the DAC.
I have tried Creation 5 , VLC and others.

Does anyone know of an app which can access flac files on a network storage device and pas 24/96 out of the iPad 30 pin or iPhone lightning socket.

The problem will get worse if I buy more high res files as I only have limited space on my apple devices.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #769 of 5,077
I have just bought the Red and am very pleased so far. My high res flac files are on my IPad.
I use Onkyo HF player to access these and get the Dragonfly to display magenta confirming it is recieving 24/96 data.

I haves tried various apps and to date I cannot get bit perfect data to be passed to the DAC.

Does anyone know of an app which can access flac files on a network storage device and pas 24/96 out of the iPad 30 pin or iPhone lightning socket.

The problem will get worse if I buy more high res files as I only have limited space on my apple devices.

First let me say that I do not know if this idea will work with Apple devices.  Just trying to give you a potential alternate solution.

Could you store High Res files on a USB Drive, and connect that drive to the same cable that your DFR is now connected to?   You might need a small hub, a different Apple Cable, or a custom cable to do this nicely...  The USB cable (in theory) has 5 to 10 times the capacity needed to send the music files to the phone (For your Player APP) and then back to the DFR.   If you don't have a hub, you could at least test with a flash drive that you have loaded with a few files, that your phone and APP can read and play the files through the phone 3.5mm jack, by replacing the DFR with the flash drive ?   Flash drives as large as 256GB are available....   Or you could have smaller ones with different music styles, bit rates, etc...

And I thought someone with an i-phone spoke of an Apple Cable that would allow DFR plus phone charging..  That Cable "might" work, unless the charging split of the cable is power only, and no data.  

IF you try this, let the community know if it works!  

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #771 of 5,077

Have you looked into something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZCFYF2W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1466357721&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=wifi+flash+drive&dpPl=1&dpID=2195Jr6rvRL&ref=plSrch

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #772 of 5,077
Jun 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #774 of 5,077
looking good
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is to many more reviews from you
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! 
dt880smile.png

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #775 of 5,077
Probably unlikely request here but has anybody compared the DFR to the LG HIFi plus Dac module?  

I'm assuming(prob wrongly) that the 9028 dac in the LG is a better standard than the 9016 in the DFR.  

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #777 of 5,077
I am getting louder volume from Black than Red when using it with iPhone 6, thought it should be the other way around? Anyone encountered the same issue here?

According to recent posts in this thread, that's exactly what you should expect, regardless of source. Counter-intuitive given the price difference, but volume control is implemented differently between the two DFs (DFB has the analog volume control internally while the DFR has a whizbang new digital volume control). The only thing I can add is that I definitely have more headroom with the Linux volume control (max volume in DeadBeef) than I do under Windows 8 - make of that what you will.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #778 of 5,077

NePlayer on the iTunes site is a download for £10.99. Yes, it's a lot for an app but it streams in highres perfectly from my WD NAS to my iPad and iPod Touch 5G, using the CCK and my DF Red. It works perfectly, and the coloured LED on the DFR shows the correct sampling rate. It's a very intuitive app IMO and is well well the money.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #780 of 5,077
My DFR shows that it's playing 96khz files (magenta) while playing Spotify on my Galaxy S5. I believe it should be green though. Anyone else have this issue? 
The fact that you are listening to Spotify shows that you are using android audio drivers. Your S5 is up sampling the audio and all apps will do that when using native android audio. You have to use an app that bypasses the android usb drivers to be able to play your audio in it's native resolution. Such as Onkyo hf player or Uapp. However these apps play locally stored files, or in the case of UAPP, it can connect to Tidal music for FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back