New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 17, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #736 of 5,077
I am using the DFR with the Sennheiser hd 600 all the time and the pairing is very good in my opinion. 
The Audio Technica m50x pairing is outstanding, The soundstage is massively opened, the bass is much more controlled, and the detail is much better.
The Fostex T50rp mk3 pairing is passable, These cans needs a more powerful amp in my opinion.

Ohhh... I have the m50x and want to get the hd600s. This is good news!

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #737 of 5,077
  I went to Control Panel, and to Sound and to Manage Audio Devices...  Right Clicked on the "speakers that say Dragonfly red..."  Selected Properties...  And Selected Level and adjust slider to 20% for my IEMs.

With those settings, I have nice control from Foobar2000....    (ca 50% is loud for most files),     Adjust the LEVEL above up or down to match your IEMs...

No question that you can finetune the volume from within your playback app, but I agree with @CactusPete23 and others that the OS setting will still seem unacceptably tiny (little headroom at the other end of the spectrum from those with hard to drive to cans). Dumbfounded by this response from John Darko to a query re the volume control on the DFR:

I used the Red with both Noble and Fitear CIEMs and have zero issues. Running them at around 15-20% of full volume.

I know some highend IEMs are higher impedance than my 16-ohm Philips and Sony cheapies, but even with the Shure SE425 I cant simply go from '4' to '5' without being surprised by the SPL increase. FWIW, I seem to have move room to move in Linux, but that was before I noticed that the max volume setting in DeadBeef is '-2dB'. FUBAR indeed  :D

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #738 of 5,077
I'm auditioning DFR with Oppo PM3s and iPhone as source (Spotify and ripped FLAC) and disappointed that I seem to lose track/volume control from the Oppo PM3 iOS cable. After I plug DFR into Apple CCK and Oppo iOS cable attached to iPhone, I lose Oppo iOS cable track & volume control. If this is not just something I'm doing wrong, I'll be returning DFR sadly. Losing remote track & volume control for a portable music source is losing a lot. Anyone have some thoughts here?

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #739 of 5,077
To those who have the black version.

Does it work well with android phones? I have the red version and the volume output is very low on my galaxy S5 and I have to turn it up to about 100% to get a decent listening volume. I know it's a common problem with the red version, so I'm wondering if the black version has the same problem. I only use Spotify Premium, so using an app like UAPP is not an option for me. If anyone has the dragonfly black and can test it with their android phone using Spotify or any other app without using UAPP it would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #740 of 5,077
  To those who have the black version.

Does it work well with android phones? I have the red version and the volume output is very low on my galaxy S5 and I have to turn it up to about 100% to get a decent listening volume. I know it's a common problem with the red version, so I'm wondering if the black version has the same problem. I only use Spotify Premium, so using an app like UAPP is not an option for me. If anyone has the dragonfly black and can test it with their android phone using Spotify or any other app without using UAPP it would be greatly appreciated!

when i tried them both on my lg nexus 5 the red required similar volumes of 90% max for good sound
(and i'm not saying blasting either as i like to keep my hearing longterm, thanks very much)

...the black required less: more like 60-70% max volume for same output.

just glad i p/u a (craigslist) cheaper ipod touch...that took care of things.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #741 of 5,077
  when i tried them both on my lg nexus 5 the red required similar volumes of 90% max for good sound
(and i'm not saying blasting either as i like to keep my hearing longterm, thanks very much)

...the black required less: more like 60-70% max volume for same output.

just glad i p/u a cheaper ipod touch and took care of things.

Thanks for the very quick reply! Did you use UAPP at all? 

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #742 of 5,077
  Thanks for the very quick reply! Did you use UAPP at all?

nope....sorry i didn't make that clear...my lg nexus 5 only had a laughable 16 gb of ram 
rolleyes.gif

as i got it before i got into audio, not knowing i'd need more...like needing wayyyyyyyy more.
but i've heard good things on that uapp app....works for Tidal, too.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #743 of 5,077
I'm auditioning DFR with Oppo PM3s and iPhone as source (Spotify and ripped FLAC) and disappointed that I seem to lose track/volume control from the Oppo PM3 iOS cable. After I plug DFR into Apple CCK and Oppo iOS cable attached to iPhone, I lose Oppo iOS cable track & volume control. If this is not just something I'm doing wrong, I'll be returning DFR sadly. Losing remote track & volume control for a portable music source is losing a lot. Anyone have some thoughts here?

I got an email back from audioquest very quickly and after regular business hours which is impressive. Kudos there. However. Disappointed to confirm DFR does not support any headphone track & volume control. Now honestly - this info should be included in product description, which I suggested. Now I'm wondering what, if any other DACs support headphone volume & track control. For people who want a truly mobile solution....gym, dog walking, shopping,.... $200 and no headphone control (!) is a deal breaker. Will sadly return DFR. This information should be included PROMINENTLY in the product description - considering how it's marketed aggressively for portable use with mobile phones. What good is marketing a portable DAC for portable iOS friendly headphones.... without any darn headphone control support? Very disappointing, But very prompt reply from the company after hours - which is unusually prompt and appreciated. At least I know for sure now. I think I'm not the only customer who will have this concern.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #746 of 5,077
Good thought - I hope people let them know this is not really a portable DAC for mobile phones without headphone support.
does that even work through USB?

Would be an interesting feature, but the SQ improvement is more important to me than the now redundant buttons on the cable.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #747 of 5,077
As an aside, I must be quite deaf, this is the volume I listen at with the DFR...

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #748 of 5,077
Good thought - I hope people let them know this is not really a portable DAC for mobile phones without headphone support.

All portable DACs support headphones, hence the headphone port you can plug your headphones into. As for the little buttons that control volume, skip songs and pause/play, those do not work with any external DAC. This isn't an Audioquest limitation. DACs are there strictly to pull the digital files off of the source, decode them, amplify them and send them off to your music listening device of choice. Some DACs have control built into the DAC itself, like the FiiO E18 or Chord Mojo, but they will still not function with your headphone's controls. You're complaining about a solution to problem that doesn't exist. It's like asking why the zipper on your pants won't tie your shoes.

There are two lightning cable DACs with controls that I know of. The Cipher cable that comes with the Sine or the EL-8 and the another one that is permanently attached to a pair of IEMs.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #749 of 5,077
As an aside, I must be quite deaf, this is the volume I listen at with the DFR...

That's software volume. What about Hardware Volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back