New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #721 of 5,077
I got the Dragonfly 1.5 Black to use in my car to play Spotify Premium. I connect my Samsung Tablet to the Black to my head unit via AUX. In that arrangement, I noticed no sound difference at all.

Then I tried with my Android (ZTE) and it didn't work. I understand some Android models don't work, and mine is apparently one of them.

Lastly, I tried on my MacBook. Here I noticed the audio was much louder, but I don't think it's all that much clearer. I tried on Tidal as well and had similar results. I'm trying not to let the increased volume make me think that it sounds $99 better.

I listened on mid-range headphones (AKG K99, Beats Solo and Bose SoundSport). I have Plantronics BackBeat PRO that I can try as a last option. Do I need to spend more on headphones to notice anything? 

I messaged Audioquest twice on FB and they read the message and never responded, so they are no help. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #722 of 5,077
  I got the Dragonfly 1.5 Black to use in my car to play Spotify Premium. I connect my Samsung Tablet to the Black to my head unit via AUX. In that arrangement, I noticed no sound difference at all.

Then I tried with my Android (ZTE) and it didn't work. I understand some Android models don't work, and mine is apparently one of them.

Lastly, I tried on my MacBook. Here I noticed the audio was much louder, but I don't think it's all that much clearer. I'm trying not to let the increased volume make me think that it sounds $99 better.

I listened on mid-range headphones (AKG K99, Beats Solo and Bose SoundSport). I have Plantronics BackBeat PRO that I can try as a last option. Do I need to spend more on headphones to notice anything? 

I messaged Audioquest twice on FB and they read the message and never responded, so they are no help. 

Not sure how AQ can actually 'help' with a product that appears to be working correctly. I agree that the default gain is ridiculously high for 'normal phones' (32-ohm and below dynamic headphones and earphones) but I put that down to Gordon Rankin's design - he was clearly obsessed with creating a device which output 2V at 0dB (the same as a CDP or desktop DAC at line-level). I believe this was done for two reasons - to boost the output from smartphones and to give those who intend using the DFB (and DFR) with powered speakers a realistic line-level signal. If you've ever plugged a DAP - particularly an iPod - into a pair of powered speakers (think B&W MM1 and the chaff from Edifier and others), you'll realise how pathetic the end result can be even with everything maxed out. In more than one case, I found myself checking to see if the speakers actually had a power cord, or were running from a pair of 9V batteries :D

In short, I agree with your criticisms, but I cant see that you have any choice other than to return a product that doesnt meet your expectations. I'm using mine with a cheaper portable amp and its fine in that configuration, but I wont try to use 32-ohm cans straight from DFB's 3.5mm output. This issue has been mentioned too many times for it to be a case of production variances meaning some of us are getting 'louder' Dragonflys and I strongly suspect that AQ have created the product they were led to believe Head-Fiers wanted : an Android and iOS-friendly DAC/amp that would drive something beyond 32-ohm cans.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #724 of 5,077
  I personally have never heard the 600, so can't compare the two. I would love to hear it! But anything I tell you I would just be making up.

Here's what Tyll said in his review of the Hifiman. Lots of comparisons to the 600 (and part of which pushed me in that direction)

---
Sound Quality
Oh man! The HE400S is a fabulous sounding headphone! Right off the bat, I'll say it lacks low bass extension and is just a tad splashy sounding in the treble...but that's when I compare it with the best headphones available. Given it's price and type, I find it best to compare them head-to-head with the venerable HD 600/650. Listening side-by-side, I've got to say I prefer the HE400S over the HD 600 by a modest margin.
We've all heard the phrase, "the Sennheiser veil" regarding the HD 600/650, and I do think there's something to the criticism. There seems to be some lack of presence in them. Not so with the HE400S. Vocals sound more coherent and "real" with the HE400S. The human voice with its chest and nasal resonance; growling sounds of the throat; and lip-smacking spittal are rendered better as a whole than the HD 600/650 to my ears, which, in comparison, sound a bit hollow and distant.

The mid-range of the HD400S is simply superb...and, of course, this is where most of the music happens. While the treble can seem just slightly hazy, it's never harsh unless the music is. And while the lowest bass notes lack weight, they're tight and undistorted. The overall presentation of the HE400S is so gorgeous that the errors are easy to forgive...heck, I hardly miss them at all given the beautifully coherent presentation over most of the sonic middle ground. It's important to note, at this point, that others have found the HiFiMAN Focus pads ($39) to significantly improve bass response.

While full size, open headphones are not ideal for portable use, the HE400S is so efficient that they can be driven to solid listening levels with a smartphone. Pair it up with a dedicated amp and sound quality improves nicely as the front end preceding it improves. These are a very versatile headphone, and make a great first serious purchase for budding headphone enthusiasts...in fact, they're so good they may become a staple for advanced headphone enthusiasts in general, especially as a second headphone for use at the office or when away from your primary rig.

I'm loath to dethrone the HD 600 from the Wall of Fame, or claim the HE400S clearly superior...but so far, it's drawing me to that conclusion. I've only had a couple months of periodic listening sessions to to the HE400S, how in the world can I say they best the legendary Sennheisers and feel confident about the observation? The answer, I guess, is that's the way I hear it. An astonishing, unexpected, and thrilling circumstance.

---

Per your comments, some of the feedback about the "Sennheiser veil" might make them less fatiguing for your particular ears? Impossible for me to know. Sounds like you can't go wrong either way.

Thanks for this!

I've actually viewed Tyll's youtube review of the HiFiMan 400s (a few times
smile.gif
), and he really does make a compelling argument.

His review of the HD 600s is great too:

1. https://youtu.be/c2Es9S9tXTY

There are a few other interesting reviews of the HD 600 as well:

1. https://youtu.be/6-2w0vlmhk8
  2. https://youtu.be/3AZTKCMRzHM
  3. https://youtu.be/U_OwbT7IQLE

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #725 of 5,077
How are people managing the volume with the Black when using a PC? I'm finding it a bit weird, very sensitive.

I'm using Foobar on Windows 10, with shure se425, and I have to have both foobar almost at its lowest, and windows 10 system volume set on 1 (out of 100).

Is this normal behavior? Doesn't seem right to me (certainly not consistent with other small USB DACs I've had like HRT and meridian) -  the volume just grows out of control really quickly and I've got almost no modulation at low volume levels.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #726 of 5,077
Check the previous page; we've discussed the volume & Windows there, but to summarise, that's normal when using the DF. Even estreeter's post a couple above yours would have given you an answer!

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #727 of 5,077
yep sorry, have been trawling back through a few posts and saw that, hard to keep up.

but it doesn't seem optimal, or even slightly desirable to me. should this be interpreted that it's not a good DAC for using IEMs with? I bought it for the size and portability. I have a Mojo which doesn't have these sort of issues, but isn't as portable (I mainly use it for desktop). Got rid of my old meridian thinking this would be better for portability, maybe that was a mistake.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #728 of 5,077
I have seen some mixed comments on DFR or DFB and Grado HFs in earlier posts. That made me curious.

I usually used with a Macbook pro (iTunes and songs with Apple lossless or at least 320 kBit/s as audio quality) a Meridian Explorer 2 and some Grado HFs (SR225e, SR325is, RS1e and a GH1). 

So I ordered the DFR and tried to find out differences. After a week I am pretty sure that the DFR and Grado work together pretty well. There are little differences in sound between Meridian and DFR but which one is better I am not really sure. Maybe there is a little bit more detail for the Meridian. There is no bad behavior on my Grados. Maybe it is the music preferences I have, Jazz, Folk, Rock, Vocal, no Classic and not very loud. So my volume setting is usually at 30% max.  

Also DFR improves the iPad sound very good. Here I see the big benefit of the DFR to carry it with you for travel and so on.

So I can recommend the DFR with the Grado world in my opinion.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #729 of 5,077
I have seen some mixed comments on DFR or DFB and Grado HFs in earlier posts. That made me curious.

I usually used with a Macbook pro (iTunes and songs with Apple lossless or at least 320 kBit/s as audio quality) a Meridian Explorer 2 and some Grado HFs (SR225e, SR325is, RS1e and a GH1). 

So I ordered the DFR and tried to find out differences. After a week I am pretty sure that the DFR and Grado work together pretty well. There are little differences in sound between Meridian and DFR but which one is better I am not really sure. Maybe there is a little bit more detail for the Meridian. There is no bad behavior on my Grados. Maybe it is the music preferences I have, Jazz, Folk, Rock, Vocal, no Classic and not very loud. So my volume setting is usually at 30% max.  

Also DFR improves the iPad sound very good. Here I see the big benefit of the DFR to carry it with you for travel and so on.

So I can recommend the DFR with the Grado world in my opinion.

Agreed. Haven't had a chance to use the DFR with my MacBook yet, but I have used it with the iPhone 6S, and it's caused me to sell my AK100ii, which I find redundant and cumbersome compared to just carrying my phone with basically a thumb drive!

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #730 of 5,077
  How are people managing the volume with the Black when using a PC? I'm finding it a bit weird, very sensitive.

I'm using Foobar on Windows 10, with shure se425, and I have to have both foobar almost at its lowest, and windows 10 system volume set on 1 (out of 100).

Is this normal behavior? Doesn't seem right to me (certainly not consistent with other small USB DACs I've had like HRT and meridian) -  the volume just grows out of control really quickly and I've got almost no modulation at low volume levels.

I went to Control Panel, and to Sound and to Manage Audio Devices...  Right Clicked on the "speakers that say Dragonfly red..."  Selected Properties...  And Selected Level and adjust slider to 20% for my IEMs.

With those settings, I have nice control from Foobar2000....    (ca 50% is loud for most files),     Adjust the LEVEL above up or down to match your IEMs...

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #731 of 5,077
Agreed. Haven't had a chance to use the DFR with my MacBook yet, but I have used it with the iPhone 6S, and it's caused me to sell my AK100ii, which I find redundant and cumbersome compared to just carrying my phone with basically a thumb drive!

Curious are you using usb2 or 3 camera kit with iPhone 6s?

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #732 of 5,077
My two cents: CCK is actually better for out and about. It's smaller/more discreet/more flexible (it seems like) than 3.

The benefits of 3 are if you're stationed somewhere and recharging (which is something I'm not doing when I'm out and about).

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #734 of 5,077

Thanks for this!

I've actually viewed Tyll's youtube review of the HiFiMan 400s (a few times
smile.gif
), and he really does make a compelling argument.

His review of the HD 600s is great too:

1. https://youtu.be/c2Es9S9tXTY

There are a few other interesting reviews of the HD 600 as well:

1. https://youtu.be/6-2w0vlmhk8
  2. https://youtu.be/3AZTKCMRzHM
  3. https://youtu.be/U_OwbT7IQLE

I know you are fairly set on the HD 600, but you may find that some of the alternatives suggested may be just as good or better while still being easy to drive. For example, I personally prefer my K702 Anniversaries to my 600's and I've tried out some others in store with my DFR that I'm pretty sure I would prefer as well. If you are looking for an easily transportable set up, I would be inclined to look at other options. In some ways, I actually prefer my Noble 3's with the DFR to my desktop setup and I can use it anywhere

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #735 of 5,077
I am using the DFR with the Sennheiser hd 600 all the time and the pairing is very good in my opinion. 
The Audio Technica m50x pairing is outstanding, The soundstage is massively opened, the bass is much more controlled, and the detail is much better.
The Fostex T50rp mk3 pairing is passable, These cans needs a more powerful amp in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back