New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #601 of 5,077

[...]  
Apropos of nothing I've read thus far, although AQ dont explicitly support the DF Black on Linux, I'm cautiously confident that it will 'just work' on MATE, but I'm not overly concerned if it doesnt. More in the fullness of time. 

Running the Red on Arch Linux without a problem. The Dragonfly DACs are USB audio class compliant. Therefore all Linux distributions will support, atleast if the kernel isn't very old.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #602 of 5,077
Using BubbleUPnP to play through UAPP still doesn't get enough volume for harder to drive headphones. I have to put my V-MODA M-100 to 85%-90% volume for adequate listening levels and the AKG Q701 at 100% volume at, what I consider, a moderate to slightly high, depending on recording, listening level. Sounds incredible though!

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #603 of 5,077
I must admit that I don't know how the standard Android USB implementation works, for the first time yesterday my S7E allowed playback through the standard stack, and as others have said earlier in the thread, the volume was very sub-par.

Surprised that UAPP and BubbleUPnP seems to revert to that, as UAPP and Tidal has no such issue.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #604 of 5,077
With UAPP, I had volume issues until I tapped the upper right hand corner 3 dots and chose Hardware Volume and raised it.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #605 of 5,077
With UAPP, I had volume issues until I tapped the upper right hand corner 3 dots and chose Hardware Volume and raised it.

BubbleUPnP, while interfacing with UAPP, still operates through native Android audio protocols. The Hardware Volume slider is not available in UAPP when it is acting as a local renderer for BubbleUPnP. I checked the volume levels using Google Play Music both naked and wearing Bubbles and max volume levels were the same.

The only advantage is you get access to 100 volume steps instead of 15.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #606 of 5,077
BubbleUPnP, while interfacing with UAPP, still operates through native Android audio protocols. The Hardware Volume slider is not available in UAPP when it is acting as a local renderer for BubbleUPnP. I checked the volume levels using Google Play Music bothnaked and wearing Bubbles and max volume levels were the same.

Welp, check that one off the list :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #608 of 5,077
BubbleUPnP, while interfacing with UAPP, still operates through native Android audio protocols. The Hardware Volume slider is not available in UAPP when it is acting as a local renderer for BubbleUPnP. I checked the volume levels using Google Play Music both naked and wearing Bubbles and max volume levels were the same.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm still getting to grips with all this. I want to stream FLACs from Google Drive but are you saying that even with the new UAPP update enabling UPnP rendering, the Android audio system will still be "interfering" with and upsampling these files (rather than being bypassed as it would be purely using UAPP with locally stored files?)

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #609 of 5,077
Excuse my ignorance as I'm still getting to grips with all this. I want to stream FLACs from Google Drive but are you saying that even with the new UAPP update enabling UPnP rendering, the Android audio system will still be "interfering" with and upsampling these files (rather than being bypassed as it would be purely using UAPP with locally stored files?)

No, UAPP bypasses android and uses its own USB driver. This is the same when it is acting as a upnp renderer. For this latest functionality what is happening is this: bubbleupnp developers have integrated their app with lots of streaming services/cloud file stores. This is no small task and they've done a great job. So when you access a file from Google Drive via bubbleupnp you are taking advantage of that work. If you then use the bubbleupnp 'local renderer' to play the file you are using the android system and USB drivers and will get the upsampling that you mention. If you choose a different renderer what happens is that bubbleupnp sets up a proxy web server and sends the url of the file to the renderer that you have chosen. So bubbleupnp is downloading your file from Google Drive for you and then making it available on other devices via its own proxy server. The latest release of UAPP allows you to use it as a UPnp renderer. All this means is that when you select the UAPPRenderer in bubbleupnp, a message is sent to the UAPP app saying 'play the file at this url'. The actual playback in UAPP is the same as for any other file such as files you might be storing locally on your device. All the UAPP settings including hardware volume will equally apply to files being played via UPnp.

I've been using it on my phone with dragonfly red to access Qobuz and it sounds fantastic and as loud as you could want.

I've also had a play with using bubbleupnp on one device to control UAPP on another, where the second device has the DFR connected and is feeding an amp. Again it sounds fantastic.

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #610 of 5,077
Oh, interesting!

Can this be done the same way for let's say Deezer? Would be good to toy with that and see if I hear a quality dip over tidal, or if I can live with the compromise for using less data :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #611 of 5,077
Wow, ok, that's a great development! Thank you for taking the time to explain how it works. I can finally enjoy all the music I have in my cloud storage through the DF red as it should be heard.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #612 of 5,077

I stand corrected. I only had a few minutes to play with BubbleUPnP before I had to work yesterday. lombardox is right. You get full UAPP functionality while using BubbleUPnP. I just hadn't come to grips to properly using the new software yet.

The proper steps are:

1) Connect Dragonfly to device
2) Allow USB Audio Player Pro to access device
3) Press the 3 dot menu and select "Start UPnP renderer
4) Open BubbleUPnP
5) Select UAPP as local renderer
6) Enjoy newfound streaming goodness.

I was missing a step there when I first started playing with it, but everything works as it should.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #613 of 5,077
The proper steps are:

1) Connect Dragonfly to device
2) Allow USB Audio Player Pro to access device
3) Press the 3 dot menu and select "Start UPnP renderer
4) Open BubbleUPnP
5) Select UAPP as local renderer
6) Enjoy newfound streaming goodness.

I was missing a step there when I first started playing with it, but everything works as it should.

Thanks for covering the steps, I was still a little unclear on the order, looking forward to trying this later.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #614 of 5,077
I will say that imo the little DF sounds a little cold / brittle out of the box, but - give it a week, and its soul will shine through...

Be a little patient and it'll reward you :)

Glad to hear it's not warm sounding out of the box!

On another note, since these are iOS compatible it should work with any music apps right? Like Spotify, or even mixing apps like GarageBand?

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #615 of 5,077
  Using BubbleUPnP to play through UAPP still doesn't get enough volume for harder to drive headphones. I have to put my V-MODA M-100 to 85%-90% volume for adequate listening levels and the AKG Q701 at 100% volume at, what I consider, a moderate to slightly high, depending on recording, listening level. Sounds incredible though!

Which version are you using? Red or Black? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back