New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 9, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #572 of 5,077
  Did anyone try the DF Black with the HTC10?
Does it realy contribure to the sound against the headphone jack, using quality headphones?

Thanks

zolom: htc 10 doesn't need a dragonfly imo...it's got a dac/amp all on
its own separate from the chip....it's quite a unique phone
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

excerpt below: but read the article above...goes into details..interesting.

I was very skeptical of HTC's claims of excellent headphone audio on the HTC 10. Not only was I surprised at the results of both audio benchmarking and listening, but I found out my skepticism (as well as most everyone else with the same concerns) was unfounded.
The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp
Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 does a lot of things right, but clear audio isn't one of those things. Something in the digital to analog converter circuit introduces an extreme amount of noise and crosstalk into the analog output, and phones like the U.S. Galaxy S7 and LG G5 sound pretty poor because of this. After doing some testing, I was presented with results that just didn't make sense from the HTC 10 — it was better than it should be, even with extra work and attention to the analog circuit that brings signal from the DAC output to the headphone jack. You can only do so much magic to a bad signal. I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrect. The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC. This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.
We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #573 of 5,077
  Did anyone try the DF Black with the HTC10?
Does it realy contribure to the sound against the headphone jack, using quality headphones?

Thanks

From the "Best Smartphone for audiophile" thread, post 3027.

Quote:
My S7 + DF Red sounds better than my HTC 10 and has noticeably more volume.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #575 of 5,077
Has anyone identified a better quality USB OTG cable for use with black or red (i'm keen on one with an L shaped phone plug end, that isn't cheap ebay junk)

I got this one:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/0-15m-usb-otg-cable-black-type-micro-a-90-degree-to-type-a-p7380

Cheap, convenient length and good quality.

Aren't AQ supposed to be releasing their own Dragontail OTG cable?

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #577 of 5,077
Yes there is an AQ one coming, my dealer has them on backorder but hasn't seen them yet. AQ told me they're supposed to be shipping soon.
Strangely, called the Dragontail... confusing naming convention, considering there is already a Dragontail on the market...

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #578 of 5,077
I shared this in the S7 thread, but thought I would post here. Couldn't be happier with my S7, DF Red, UAPP and Tidal. I added some velcro and a very slim OTG cable and this portable setup is freakin' fantastic. 
Use the same type setup. Do you ever suffer from ssues streaming Tidal flac files? What are your buffer/usb mode setting in UAPP? THX. S7EDGE, SAME OTG CABLE AND RED. Love it, just hiccups at times when streaming.

-Collin-

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #579 of 5,077
Use the same type setup. Do you ever suffer from ssues streaming Tidal flac files? What are your buffer/usb mode setting in UAPP? THX. S7EDGE, SAME OTG CABLE AND RED. Love it, just hiccups at times when streaming.

I haven't experienced that yet. The only thing I changed was for the volume rockers to control the hardware volume rather than software. I haven't listened for very long, so I will see if this happens. 

-Collin-

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #580 of 5,077
I haven't experienced that yet. The only thing I changed was for the volume rockers to control the hardware volume rather than software. I haven't listened for very long, so I will see if this happens. 

-Collin-

I'm often trying to stream Flac, on the go. Doesn't happen on my home network, but when I'm out on a decent network, I do experience it. Only frustrating part. Doesn't happen when streaming from a UPnP using UAPP, only streaming Tidal, unfortunately.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #581 of 5,077
Unrelated question, but does Tidal do scrobbling to Last FM ? I would not be opposed to using UAPP + Tidal + Dragonfly + S7 ---- IF, and ONLY IF, Tidal can scrobble to Last FM so I can keep track of everything I listen to.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #582 of 5,077
  Unrelated question, but does Tidal do scrobbling to Last FM ? I would not be opposed to using UAPP + Tidal + Dragonfly + S7 ---- IF, and ONLY IF, Tidal can scrobble to Last FM so I can keep track of everything I listen to.

I guess I'm going to have to google "scrobble" lol

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #583 of 5,077

I guess I'm going to have to google "scrobble" lol

Unless you're maintaining a profile for social networking, it's not going to be particularly enlightening. I briefly considered last.fm, but felt that my some of the extreme metal in my collection might put others on the back foot  :wink:

http://www.netlingo.com/word/scrobble.php

@stuck limo, I expect that you'll have more luck in the dedicated TIDAL thread, but if you're using the service via the web interface you may be in luck:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lastfm-scrobbler/hhinaapppaileiechjoiifaancjggfjm

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/202162111-System-Requirements-for-HiFi-using-the-Web-Player-

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #584 of 5,077

Unless you're maintaining a profile for social networking, it's not going to be particularly enlightening. I briefly considered last.fm, but felt that my some of the extreme metal in my collection might put others on the back foot  :wink:

http://www.netlingo.com/word/scrobble.php

Thanks. I'm a misanthrope, so it may be a while before I'm scrobbling 
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #585 of 5,077
Thanks. I'm a misanthrope, so it may be a while before I'm scrobbling :D

Yet you're posting on a thread here amongst other human beings who also share an interest in audio gear. Careful now, you may end up scrobbling sooner than you think :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back