New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 3, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #497 of 5,077

The difefrences on volume level are noticed without UAPP. With UAPP there is no sound coming from Tidal at all. It may be that i've messed something in UAPP settings. I'll try to install it again, but I don't want tu use it.

EDIT: Still the same, Tidal is not making a sound after installing UAPP.

I think I know what you're doing wrong. You have to log in to Tidal THROUGH UAPP.

1. Click on the orange button to bring up your music list.

2. Scroll down to where it says TIDAL.

3. Log in to TIDAL through UAPP

UAPP actually takes over USB audio so that music will only work through UAPP. Without UAPP, the sound will first be processed by Android through the phone's internal DAC and then sent to the Dragonfly to be processed again. UAPP gives you direct control of the Dragonfly, but ONLY through UAPP.

It's a little more complicated than this but the chain is basically:

Without UAPP: Music file>Music player>Android DAC>OTG cable>Dragonfly>Headphones
With UAPP: Music file>UAPP>OTG cable>Dragonfly>Headphones

That's why when you're not using UAPP to play music, you'll hear all the notification sounds and system sounds playing as well, while UAPP will only feed you music.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #498 of 5,077
I really enjoy my new DF Black, connected to the s7edge and feeding the shure se846 IEMs.
Before that I truely disliked the sound quality of the s7edge and considered to replace it with the new htc 10 (although slightly inferior to the s7e).
Now my s7e sounds better. The DFB , with a short OTG cable does not compremise mobility and it seems economical with battery consumption.

Truely like the DFB.
Congrats, glad you went down this route rather than needing to spend out on a new handset :)

Not enough discussion about the DFB...

For me, I wish there was a flat cabled USB OTG straight cable (that wasn't USB3), as my right angled USB OTG feels a little.. erm... vulnerable, when out on the road.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #499 of 5,077
I bought this flat OTG cable but it arrived DOA so I returned it for a right angle one.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #500 of 5,077
  I think I know what you're doing wrong. You have to log in to Tidal THROUGH UAPP.

1. Click on the orange button to bring up your music list.

2. Scroll down to where it says TIDAL.

3. Log in to TIDAL through UAPP

UAPP actually takes over USB audio so that music will only work through UAPP. Without UAPP, the sound will first be processed by Android through the phone's internal DAC and then sent to the Dragonfly to be processed again. UAPP gives you direct control of the Dragonfly, but ONLY through UAPP.

It's a little more complicated than this but the chain is basically:

Without UAPP: Music file>Music player>Android DAC>OTG cable>Dragonfly>Headphones
With UAPP: Music file>UAPP>OTG cable>Dragonfly>Headphones

That's why when you're not using UAPP to play music, you'll hear all the notification sounds and system sounds playing as well, while UAPP will only feed you music.

Perfect, Thanks!

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #501 of 5,077
Has anybody had luck powering LCD-2s or LCD-3s with a Dragonfly Red? Impossible?

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #502 of 5,077
Been spending sometime with the DragonFly Black

Setup: Iphone6s -> Apple Music - > DragonFly Black - > B&W P7 

The B&W P7 has the characteristics of being the happy EQ that is extremely efficient to drive, they are the perfect headphones for portability; contemporary music and on the stage in your face feel.  

The most noticeable difference is the bass, the dragonfly changes how the bass sound on the P7. It sounds more controlled and synced with the music. Because of its ability to control the P7 bass, it allows the mids and highs to stand out better, the overall presentation of the music in terms of staging and clarity is improved by just enough. Which is not bad considering that plugged the P7 to a MG HEAD and it didn't do anything and may have made it sound worse.

Stay tune - I will update with impressions driving these with MG HEAD OTL Mark III amp with HD650 and HE400s, will give it a run with Airmotiv 5s and Genelecs 8050s.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #503 of 5,077
excuse my naivete guys, but a question

for tidal users who have an ipod and dragonfly red
(I have the apple adaptor):
is there some app i have to use first, like UAPP (will it work with ios?)
or do i have to execute some other app  with apple to get the best sound
handshake with the dragonfly?

decided to try tidal ($19.99) streaming for a free 30 day trial (again) vs the spotify extreme
I just resigned up for.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #504 of 5,077
  excuse my naivete guys, but a question

for tidal users who have an ipod and dragonfly red:
is there some app i have to use first, like UAPP (will it work with ios?)
or do i have to execute some other app  with apple to get the best sound
handshake with the dragonfly?

decided to try tidal ($19.99) streaming for a free 30 day trial (again) vs the spotify extreme
I just resigned up for.

Output from an iPod to the Dragon Fly Red via the native TIDAL app is bit-perfect 16/44.1.

You don't need an additional/third-party application unless you want to play high-resolution files or some format that isn't support either by the built in music player or the streaming client of your choice.  For example, if you want to play .FLAC files, you need something like Onkyo HF Player.

But just to get TIDAL to talk properly to your Dragonfly Red ... all you need is the TIDAL app and the lightning-to-USB cable and you're all set.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #505 of 5,077

Output from an iPod to the Dragon Fly Red via the native TIDAL app is bit-perfect 16/44.1.

You don't need an additional/third-party application unless you want to play high-resolution files or some format that isn't support either by the built in music player or the streaming client of your choice.  For example, if you want to play .FLAC files, you need something like Onkyo HF Player.

But just to get TIDAL to talk properly to your Dragonfly Red ... all you need is the TIDAL app and the lightning-to-USB cable and you're all set.

many thanks Torq...i appreciate it.
would be sooooo nice if it were so similar to spotify.

btw: on my lg nexus 5 i had issues of having to crank up the dragonfly red to 90 when using spotify.
...but good news on my ipod: no need...works just fine at normal volumes :)

i've read it (the DF) 'breaks in' so will run it continuously on my laptop over a few evenings.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #506 of 5,077

The difefrences on volume level are noticed without UAPP. With UAPP there is no sound coming from Tidal at all. It may be that i've messed something in UAPP settings. I'll try to install it again, but I don't want tu use it.

EDIT: Still the same, Tidal is not making a sound after installing UAPP.

You don't install UAPP then go back to using the Tidal app.on UAPP on the play screen, reddish button on the bottom right is where you choose your music. Once you do that, press the menu area top left of screen and select Tidal. It's all done in the UAPP app.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #507 of 5,077

many thanks Torq...i appreciate it.
would be sooooo nice if it were so similar to spotify.

btw: on my lg nexus 5 i had issues of having to crank up the dragonfly red to 90 when using spotify.
...but good news on my ipod: no need...works just fine at normal volumes :)

i've read it (the DF) 'breaks in' so will run it continuously on my laptop over a few evenings.

My DF Red definitely sounded better after about a day or two of burn-in ---- just leave it plugged in and playing when you're at work/sleeping/etc.

I'm curious to hear your reviews of the sound, as you've definitely been watching from the sidelines and curious for several weeks now!

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #508 of 5,077
Has anybody had luck powering LCD-2s or LCD-3s with a Dragonfly Red? Impossible?

Tried it with my iPhone6 last night as a matter of fact, brand new 2016 version of LCD-2 and  it sounded pretty nice, dare I say even pretty darn good? I used the Onkyo app and some 24/96 and 24/88 files and it sounded great.  The Red seems to work best with a slightly darker headphone, so the SINE and the LCD-2 work very well.  The new LCD-2 is more like the sound of an LCD-3 in my opinion, more open and detailed than the prior revision, I haven't heard the new tuning on the LCD-3 yet. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #509 of 5,077
  My DF Red definitely sounded better after about a day or two of burn-in ---- just leave it plugged in and playing when you're at work/sleeping/etc.

I'm curious to hear your reviews of the sound, as you've definitely been watching from the sidelines and curious for several weeks now!

thanks...will do

too bad there isn't some equalizer for Tidal,
like the onkyo hf app i just installed yesterday for itunes.
heck even spotify has a 5 band EQ tool

i'll also ask on the tidal lossless forum and share if i hear anything back.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/202694601-EQ-for-TIDAL-Platforms-

EQ For TIDAL Platforms

''Adding EQ functionality within the TIDAL platforms [size=24.57px]is something we are currently investigating to integrate into TIDAL.''[/size]

I did email USB audio pro asking them...once i hear back I'll share.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #510 of 5,077

yup, thanks.

from audioquest
http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Phase-Noise-Jitter-Report-0317-14.pdf

Is it better to leave DragonFly constantly plugged in, or should I unplug it when it’s not in use?

It is completely safe to leave DragonFly plugged in at all times. We hope that you will always want it connected to your music playback device!
While repeatedly plugging and unplugging DragonFly will not affect its lifespan or reliability, all DACs measure and sound better after being left on for at least 24 hours. For more information on how DACs are effected by a warm-up period, please click here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back