New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 8, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #181 of 5,077
Although the AQ website lists several music players...  Below in blue is what it says about  connecting to ANDROID Devices in Both the Red and Black "Flight Manuals":  Basically only UAPP is mentioned in the manuals that come with the Red and Black. 

For Use with Android™ Devices
DragonFly Red will work with most Android devices running on Lollipop OS (and some Android devices running on KitKat), provided that the device manufacturer has adhered to the USB specification and implementation, and supports audio over USB. To verify that your Android device complies with isochronous USB audio, download and run USB Host Check: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tauruslabs.usbhostcheck.

In our early pre-production testing, we found that some Android devices (4.1 OS and newer) do not provide native support for audio over USB. If you find that your Android device (4.1 or newer) does not support audio over USB, we ask that you please contact the manufacturer of your device. To determine whether your device supports audio over USB, consult the user manual or visit the manufacturer’s website.

For a reliable media player that has its own built-in USB device driver, ensuring reliable connectivity to all USB DACs, we suggest the following application: http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver. This application is compatible with various audio formats and will manage music on both the Android’s internal memory and inserted SD cards. Additionally, with the phone connected to the Wi-Fi network, this application can find and connect to DLNA servers/libraries. Version 2.2.5 USB Pro Player now supports playback for Tidal Streaming. (THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE CALLS UAPP- Edit CactusPete23)

In order to connect your Android device to DragonFly Red:

1. Android devices use a USB format known as “OTG” (On the Go). OTG USB ports require a unique 5-pin USB Micro to 4-pin USB A (Female) adaptor. In order to connect an Android device in USB Host Mode to a DAC, an OTG adaptor must be used. See www.audioquest.com/dragontailOTG

2. Select the appropriate cable for your Android device. AudioQuest offers a wide range of high-performance USB cables, with connectors suitable for Android devices (such as USB Micro and USB Mini). For more information, go to the USB Cables section at http://www.audioquest.com/digital-interconnects/. In some rare cases, a proprietary connection or adaptor will be required to transmit audio over USB. (Consult your device’s user manual or visit the manufacturer’s website.)

3. Turn down the volume on your Android device to at least 50%. (Not exactly clear what this means... Device volume?  OR Player APP's volume?)

4. Select your desired music/media app, and then select your desired song or stream.

5. Adjust volume to desired level. (With the App? Or also adjust the Device Volume?)

Think I may get a Red, if we can get someone from AQ, maybe even Mr Silberman himself, to help explain some of the issues with Sound Quality that users are having.

May 8, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #182 of 5,077
Funny to read that everybody gets different results
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/
Actually this article is what pushed me over the edge to but the AQR. Even in a controlled environment with everyone using the same piece of equipment I believe we would all walk away with varing opinions. Since it's not a life or dead situation then subjectivity is a welcome friend. I had a friend that when approached about a movie he would see he would ask "Did you see Roadhouse". ...........

May 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #183 of 5,077
I've just ordered the Red for use with (hopefully) 950XL. May end up ordering Black later to hear the comparison and use it as a backup/travel.

May 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #186 of 5,077
Hello All –

First, we'd like to thank everyone one who's made the decision to purchase any of our products. we really appreciate all of the support. I'd also like to give a shout-out to Canali – he brought this thread to our attention. 

Those of us who can thoughtfully jump in and answer questions have been on the road for the last ten days, attending the Munich High-End Show as well as some other work related travels. I'll be back home in Colorado late Tuesday night. If you can sit tight until Tuesday (I should have email on my flight from Frankfurt to Denver) I'll be able to address your questions and concerns. Thanks in advance for your patience. 

Warm regards, 

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest 

May 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #187 of 5,077
Welcome to the thread, Steve!

May 8, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #188 of 5,077

Welcome aboard, Steve

Quote:
  Hello All –

First, we'd like to thank everyone one who's made the decision to purchase any of our products. we really appreciate all of the support. I'd also like to give a shout-out to Canali – he brought this thread to our attention. 

Those of us who can thoughtfully jump in and answer questions have been on the road for the last ten days, attending the Munich High-End Show as well as some other work related travels. I'll be back home in Colorado late Tuesday night. If you can sit tight until Tuesday (I should have email on my flight from Frankfurt to Denver) I'll be able to address your questions and concerns. Thanks in advance for your patience. 

Warm regards, 

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest 

May 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #189 of 5,077
My Jitterbug and Dragontail extender arrived today! Will post some impressions later tonight.

May 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #190 of 5,077
- DF Red works on Nexus 6P with or without UAPP.
- If no sound when using other apps (other than UAPP), try unplug the OTG cable or DF Red, plug it back on, then test again.
- When using Google Music, DF Red always shows magenta even though it should be green.
- Correct me if I'm wrong, to get the best sound out of UAPP, set volume to max, use hardware volume to adjust the listening volume.

P.S. Make sure using genuine Type C OTG cable, otherwise it might damage the hardware.

By adjusting the hardware volume,you are adjusting the amplification built into the device. A small adjustment of the hardware volume is a greater overall adjustment on the output volume. I use a combination of 16,32,and 62 ohm headphones with the dfr and UAPP. I've found more fine adjustments by setting software volume to 25% then adjusting hardware volume to the point to where I feel it is at a good enjoyable level. From your there I am able to use the software volume to fine tune volume adjustments based on the song or my current mood. Each headphone is going to have a different level of hardware volume, but the software volume is your go to for fine adjustment. A single step on hardware with software maxed could be more than you were looking for.

May 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #191 of 5,077
Agree with you Canali...  

I have seen several people say that they get clicks/pops with the Onkyo App....  

For Sound Quality, UAPP seems to get the best reviews...
I used both only and UAPP on my s7 edge and dfr without issue. My sole reason for switching to UAapp was to get the streaming flac use with the dfr using Tidal. Knowing that I could stream flac with full use of the dac, urged me to cancel my Google play subscription and switch to Tidal. 320mbps mp3 vs Flac, unlimited streaming.....no contest. Thnx UAPP and Tidal.

May 8, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #192 of 5,077
The main issue for me is not whether UAPP is fully or partially operational with the Black, but rather the Black's  ability to fully support Android (especially non rooted Samsung S7)  native players and mostly streaming via Spotify. without the need for (3rd party's) UAPP or such.

Currently there are score of USB DAC/AMPs capable to interface directly (OTG) to the S7 with no need for 3rd party's solutions.

The Black appeals to me due to its low power and high sound quality characteristics.

Thanks

It's not so much the dragonfly. DACs like the fiio k1 do not have an internal volume control,so as long as they are being powered by your device, they are simply set to ON. The dfr has a, I believe, 64 step internal volume control. Android doesn't access said volume control so I'm guessing that using default Android drivers the volume is set to low. If I'm using an Android based player I connect an amp to get the desired volume. Not optimal,no, but the quality is still there. This will have to do until an update hopefully changes this. Here's to hoping

May 9, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #194 of 5,077
Depends on the person :D. - there are so different reviews, i only can believe to my own ears.

May 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #195 of 5,077
How does black and red compare to an Oppo HA -2 in terms of sound quality?

​From my own experience, sound quality was broadly similar but I preferred the more open sound of the Black over the thicker sound of the HA-2.  The Dragonfly's portability is leagues ahead and the Black also wakes from sleep properly, whereas the HA-2 always required me to unplug and re-insert the lightning cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back