New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #166 of 5,077

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (Lollipop), I had to use the Menu on the top right corner of UAPP to make it show and allow me to slide the dedicated volume control within the app. This managed to solve the problem of the low volume. The volume keys on the Tablet were already set to deliver at Maximum volume, but this didn't work with the Red.
In my humble opinion, the UAPP method is not a work-around that I would be very happy to live with on a daily basis.

Yes, my volume control on both the upper right hand was up all the way as well as the Android hardware control. Weak volume.

May 8, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #167 of 5,077
I'm happy with my red and I always been obsessed with accurate volume controls, for me the red works well.
Maybe there is some kind of bug with android's master volume but if the app it doesn't have its own internal volume I highly doubt Audioquest can fix it.

May 8, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #168 of 5,077
Yes, my volume control on both the upper right hand was up all the way as well as the Android hardware control. Weak volume.
So I fixed my volume issue with my Samsung Android tablet and UAPP. User error here. Tapped the three menu dots and chose hardware volume. It was only 1/3 up. This Dragonfly Red drives my new ZMF Omni's LTA Edition headphones really well. Almost too well. So far DFR has worked with iOS, OS X Yosemite, Windows 10 and Android with UAPP.

May 8, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #169 of 5,077
The main issue for me is not whether UAPP is fully or partially operational with the Black, but rather the Black's  ability to fully support Android (especially non rooted Samsung S7)  native players and mostly streaming via Spotify. without the need for (3rd party's) UAPP or such.

Currently there are score of USB DAC/AMPs capable to interface directly (OTG) to the S7 with no need for 3rd party's solutions.

The Black appeals to me due to its low power and high sound quality characteristics.

Thanks

May 8, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #170 of 5,077
  The main issue for me is not whether UAPP is fully or partially operational with the Black, but rather the Black's  ability to fully support Android (especially non rooted Samsung S7)  native players and mostly streaming via Spotify. without the need for (3rd party's) UAPP or such.

Currently there are score of USB DAC/AMPs capable to interface directly (OTG) to the S7 with no need for 3rd party's solutions.

The Black appeals to me due to its low power and high sound quality characteristics.

Thanks

I completely agree. It is disappointing to hear about Red's compatibility issues with mainstream models such as the Nexus 6P and Samsung S7. Particularly if other manufacturers of DAC/Amps are able to overcome these difficult Android issues.
Such a shame because the Red really makes some of my headphones sing, but I am only able to use it from my Windows 10 Home PC running Spotify. Which means no joy for me during my business trip in the next couple of days, I'll just have to put up with the rather poor headphone from my phone.

May 8, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #173 of 5,077
-> Zolom      I think the DAC's you list as working, do not have any internal volume controls?      So that may be a key?    I've also heard that the MOJO (a ~$600 dac), does not work with all newer android phones, even though it does have buttons for volume control.   So even 3X the Price Portable Dac's are not fully "plug 'n play" with all DAC's   ...    And from what I understand, even with newer versions of Android, Some Phones do not allow all AUDIO Functions on USB Port...   I guess almost all phone makers can "play" with the Android?  Though thought Nexus was "unadulterated" Android, so would have expected their USB ports to be Audio Ready (i.e. Support Native USB Audio).    
I am sure some other folks understand all this much better than me, and can surely explain it better, (And correct anything that I'm saying that is flat out wrong.)  :wink:)

May 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #174 of 5,077
  Tried those with: Galaxy S4, Galaxy S7 , LG G3, LG G4:

- HRT dSp --- quite good

- HiFimeDIY

- UD120 (tried with LG)

Any of these have internal volume? I think the problem is get to work properly the internal volume, it seems that the master volume of Android is not enough.

I owned the FiiO K1 and it had more compatibility than Red but I think K1 hasn't a dedicated volume inside.

May 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #175 of 5,077
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]- DF Red works on Nexus 6P with or without UAPP.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]- If no sound when using other apps (other than UAPP), try unplug the OTG cable or DF Red, plug it back on, then test again.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]- When using Google Music, DF Red always shows magenta even though it should be green.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]- Correct me if I'm wrong, to get the best sound out of UAPP, set volume to max, use hardware volume to adjust the listening volume.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]P.S. Make sure using genuine Type C OTG cable, otherwise it might damage the hardware.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]

May 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #176 of 5,077
After a few days of testing after 24 hour burnin as suggested I just pushed the return button for the Dragonfly Red. I don't typically listen through my iPhone 6s but I needed a replacement for my AK240 (that I loved). I knew it was going to be a disappointment going from the 240 to my 6s so I decided to supplement with the Dragonfly Red. I have no prior experience with any dragonflys. After a few days of A/B testing the difference between with or without the red attached is so minor that it's not worth the extra weigh and money. Before I got the AK240 I had the AK100 (latest model) and the cord mojo. I dislike having rubber bands holding things together so I went for the all in one (for me) 240 solution. After an almost fatal car crash and four out of six months without pay I decided to sell the AK240 and pay medical bills. Ok back to the Red. I loved the size. The price was fair. I got popping sounds on my 6s if I wasn't in airplane mode. Instrument separation was better without the Red attached. With Red attached there was a somewhat fuller sound.
Grados were used but the are heavily modded and don't have the sometimes ear defending highs that Grados can have. Onkyo app. Amber Rubarths How to get by and Steely Dan's Deacon Blues as primary songs.
Only my experience and opinion. Your mileage will most likely vary.

May 8, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #177 of 5,077
well it seems increasingly clear that AQ having a presence on here to help with configuration and symmetry issues (etc)
will be most welcomed...and just for AQ to get some feedback....at the very least for those in AQ tech support
to use in developing further firmware upgrades.

for such a well reviewed product by Darko (recently) and its release at the CES show (Jan),
you would not think that there would be such inconsistency of SQ
esp for a product that was heralded to now work well seamlessly with most (if not all) IOS and android devices.

Thanks. 

we are all at the Munich audio show. We'll jump in soon. 

Regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

Quote:
  i'm surprised AQ doesn't have a rep on here as does Chord or Ifi for their products...so i sent them this email.
here's hoping someone will come on board.

think given the varied responses to the red dragonfly, for example,
maybe they can help resolve things here and thus keep the sales' bin and good pr growing.

friendly suggestion: why don't you join the headfi.org forum as does chord and ifi (etc) on headfi.org for their own product threads?
 imo that way you build better customer rapport and also resolve people's queries...i'm surprised
no one is doing this from AQ, given the popularity of its products. esp with the newly released dragonflys.
If however someone is, then i apologize for missing that.

i'll post this to headfi.org too
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/2355#post_12563854

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/150#post_12563732

just a friendly headsup to increase good cust relations.

cheers
canali

May 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #179 of 5,077
  Agree with you Canali...  

I have seen several people say that they get clicks/pops with the Onkyo App....  

For Sound Quality, UAPP seems to get the best reviews...

mr silerman does make ref to that app in an interview at the CES show, too.

drag for me that it doesn't make much diff for streaming (which is what i mostly listen to)

any good apps for that one?

May 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #180 of 5,077
Funny to read that everybody gets different results
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back