New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,066 of 1,588
Quote:

If you listen to alot of bass music, I would not recommend the D600. Here are some other alternatives I am strongly considering:

V-Moda M-100

Sennheiser Momentum

AKG Tiesto K267

Yamaha Pro 500

Ultrasone Signature DJ

PSB M4U2/1

Thanks for the reply I'll make sure to check them out.

Quote:
If you'd like bass that's tight I'd suggest reading on the Hifiman HE-400. It's about the same price range. What are you plugging your DT770 into?

Umm just to my computer :D I know I should get an amp but I thought maybe to get new headphones first and then a good amp that's great with the headphones.I'll take a look at the HE-400.

Quote:
Hi there! Welcome to the head-fi forums!!!!! 
 Thank you :)

edit: I dont know how to quote apparently

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #1,067 of 1,588
Quote:
If you listen to alot of bass music, I would not recommend the D600.  Here are some other alternatives I am strongly considering:

V-Moda M-100
Sennheiser Momentum
AKG Tiesto K267
Yamaha Pro 500
Ultrasone Signature DJ
PSB M4U2/1

I...
deadhorse.gif

disagree.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,068 of 1,588
Quote:

I...
deadhorse.gif

disagree.

I respect your opinion and can see why one would say they have adequate bass.  However, I returned them because the sub bass was weak and the bass was there, but had no punch.  There were some comments a few pages back where some, including myself, described the bass as "artificial".  It's sort of like, at the other end of the spectrum, when headphones have a boosted high end that makes them sound more detailed when they really aren't to compensate for other shortcomings in the headphone.  If you are curious enough, I invite you to A/B the D600 with any from the above list that are available, play something with solid sub bass and compare the bass punch.  I think you will hear what I mean.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,069 of 1,588
ok kids, i have no idea what blogging is and if i'm posting this in the right place.  i joined this crazy place because i became obsessed with headphones, (to my surprise.)  anyway, as you know there are few, i mean no places, to try/audition headphones these days in the generic wasteland that calls itself america so, a girl just has to bite the bullet and buy these things and then be usually be disappointed.  this is why i will now share my NON-AUDIOPHILE of everything i have bought and heard.  it might be useful for bassheads and denon reaks (which is why i am lurking on this thread ~ the denon ahd600)

***first thing: important for denon ah-d600 lurkers and curiosity seekers,  this headphone seems to be available for $339 at FUMFIE.com.  i dropped $420 on it from ebay (new) because my curiosity got the better of me.

why was i so interested in the ahd600? because i own the ahd2000 and i do LOVE them.  i never found them (d2000) to be bass heavy, which was widely reported. however, i found them to have good bass, not lacking.  i'm getting tired of typing so i will cut to the chase and list headphones i have or had, the goods and bads without any audiophile jive, which i don't understand.  i do this for the lurkers:

1- audio technica m-50:  a girl should be able to get these for around $120 with some online shopping prowess.  bass? YES.  do they have good bass, you ask?  yes, yes,...they do.  are they every bit as good as their reviews?  yes, yes,...they are.  are they relatively cheap?  yes.  are they rugged as hell?  yes (by the way, you can use these dj style and they fold into a half dozen great postions for storage).  does the whole big ear fit in there? yes it does. should you buy them? NO. but why?  they are not the most comfortable cans on this list.  they clamp, the ear cup pleather is a bit rubbery and unforgiving. if you don't care, then i don't care either. enjoy them for years to come.  a girl gets the standard storage bag with these. (also, choice of coiled wire or very long straight wire)  these are great but they hurt me and i am a very weak person.

2- m-audio q40:  i started my journey here because i appreciated their desktop speakers and i could not find my denon 2000's at that time (it could have all ended before it even started if i could've got those denons first - oops i'm giving away the ending).  back to the q40's....good sound clean, tight, punchy, immediate.  bass? yeah.  i found them very much like their desktop monitor speakers.  rugged, foldable, removeable cable, standard bag????yes. yes. yes. yes. price around $120 i believe for the online shoppers.  the problem:  these will literally crush your head.  the whole big ear fits in the nice round cup but the clamping force was insane.  i wrapped these around a tree for awhile in desperation.  i re-earcupped these with the $40 beyerdynamic velour pads to see if i could live with the pain better.  it did help, but the damage was done, i had moved on.  it should be noted, i have a tiny head. children point at me and whisper, "there goes tinyhead"

3- denon ah-d2000:  i finally found them, i bought them, i paid around $270, yeah that's right.  this is probably the only thing i've ever owned that appreciated in price.  i wish they made cars and houses.  i already described these a bit but let's talk about something very important - comfort and quality.  they have both.  i wear these for hours.  heat is a bit of an issue but this has only to do wearing ear muffs for hours and nothing to do with these headphones specifically.  again, these are very comfortable.  they are not pretend confortable, they are real comfortable.  is this clear?  to me they look like a true upgrade in quality and even at $330 (which is where they currently reside) worth the money. a good deal and all of that. you do get a useless bag, which is a bit sad (i have a nice little option which i will share pix of at a later date for those who are interested).  anyway, back to the phones.  not bass heavy, not beats, not even close.  BUT, very good bass and to me, a smooth and agreeable sound.  love these....alas, my doves, as you know these are discontinued.  i think you can still buy them for awhile - so do it.

4- denon ah-d600:  as i said, my curiosity and love for the d2000's led me to jump the gun and buy these for an okay price of $420.  let's get into them. are they better or worse than the d2000's? (can't compare to 5000's, never had those, but let's assume they are slightly better than my beloved 2000's).  they are described by denon as flat eq and as box speakers for you head.  they are described by headphoners as bass heavy and v shaped, muddy and all that jazz. are they stupid looking or ugly? are they designed to capture the beats crowd?  are they still for people who care - in other words, how do they sound?  are they comfortable?  are they more comfortable?.  the answers from a regular guy:  they are not ugly, however, they seem impractically designed relative to the d0000's series, which have a simple beauty - cups, band, quality - done.  these seem obviously designed to contend with the current fashions, but they are rather large or protruding for me to consider running around town with them on.  for you, the brave, the unflinching, maybe not.  there is a bunch of plastic, no streetfighting with these, they are radically different from the look of the 000's.  i was strangely attracted, but i felt shame.  i think it was the stitching.  yes, it was the stitching. are they a disaster? NO.  to me, in my opinion,  they sound very similar to the d2000,  this is good news but not great news because i wanted them to make my d2000's into red headed child. i wanted these to be box speakers on my head. i secretly wanted them to have more bass then the beats.  it's the bass we want, can't we just be honest.  beats are stupid, i've never seen a pair that's not broken, but if they are going after the beats then go after them,  teach them, show them you can have it all.  maniacal laugh.  okay, back to the actual cans:  they are comfortable, i actually find the d2000's slightly more comfortable.  the 600's have a hexagonal ear cup shape which houses the whole ear nicely but i find a tiny bit claustrophobic - can you allow that?  i feel like they fit my tiny head a bit differently which i don't like ever so slightly.  it's close, its probably a non-issue even.  their plastically design makes them a bit more awkward as far as the quick head size adjustment.  now back to the sound:  they sound good, the bass is as good or powerful or deep or noticeable as the d2000 if not ever so slightly heavier.  they possibly are a tad - a tiny bit - muddy for this. the mids seem a bit recessed it does seem sightly v shaped, but i'm okay with that and you are too.  they don't sound antiseptic and born from a lab in zurich.  they are kind of fun to listen to.  in closing, these are my go to cans right now because they are new and i like new thing, but they also made me appreciate my 2000's more.

what to buy?  let these go a few weeks and they will get even cheaper. trust me.  or get you some d2000's wile you still can.

some honorable mention cheap cans i own:

5, 6, 7-creative aurvana, i got these for $60 from costco online of all places.  the sound is great, they look pretty good, the problem: my big doesn't quite fit in there.  gets to me after awhile.  samson sr850 these little piggies can be got for $40. they look like cheap akg's and they are comfortable as hell.  they sound pretty good too. i am not kidding.  got these because i couldn't leve them behind and used them at work for long time. they take abuse and love it.  bose triport. i only mention these because i know bose is hated by audiophiles and before all this started i thought i was making a big investment in $150 bose headphones. just want to say they had pretty good sound and the most comfortable headphones i've ever worn.  these, i believe, got stepped on and my headphone journey began.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,070 of 1,588
Quote:
now back to the sound:  they sound good, the bass is as good or powerful or deep or noticeable as the d2000 if not ever so slightly heavier.  they possibly are a tad - a tiny bit - muddy for this. the mids seem a bit recessed it does seem sightly v shaped, but i'm okay with that and you are too.  they don't sound antiseptic and born from a lab in zurich.  they are kind of fun to listen to.  in closing, these are my go to cans right now because they are new and i like new thing, but they also made me appreciate my 2000's more.

Hello! 

Welcome to head-fi. That's quite a tremendous first post, well done! Between long posts and your love of headphones, you're going to fit in around here. 

I have a few questions. You're one of the few people (maybe the only person actually) who has both the D2000 AND D600. Your post covers a lot about the build and comfort of the two. Could you delve into the SQ a little more? Possibly toss on some well recorded and see how they compare in terms of bass, midrange, treble and soundstage? 

I would be very interested to read about that! 

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,072 of 1,588
Hmmm, now that's an intriguing price point. Are we perhaps getting a glimpse of the new street price already? Or is Headroom room offering such a big discount simply to generate some much needed interest in the D7100?  They are still $1200 on Amazon, for the moment at least, and they have no reviews. Double hmmmm. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,073 of 1,588
Quote:
Hmmm, now that's an intriguing price point. Are we perhaps getting a glimpse of the new street price already? Or is Headroom room offering such a big discount simply to generate some much needed interest in the D7100?  They are still $1200 on Amazon, for the moment at least, and they have no reviews. Double hmmmm. 

I think Headroom just has excess stock they are trying to get rid of as a result of low demand based on mediocre reviews, IMO.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #1,076 of 1,588
thanks for reading my crazy post.  i assure you all, english is my first language......a girl gets excited and she makes mistakes.  now as i said before, i am no audiophile, i'm just a dude who often works through the night (on a pooter) and my only friend during these literal dark times is my headphones and a few musical biscuits.  also, in the interest of full disclosure, i'm listening to music mainly through my super fancy mac desktop and iphones and ipads.  these days i'm listening to music via spotify premium and i have no idea what the bit rate and quality of that is.  i can say it costs me $10 a month.  further, i type with one finger, while the other fingers just watch.  curiously, i often refer to myself as a female not because i'm gay or transgender - i just find it cute and funny.

so to the Sound Quality question of the d600 relative to the d2000.  i have taken my d2000's to the office so i cannot compare them head to head right now. of course, when the i got the d600's a couple weeks ago, i did compare and contrast them quite a bit with my d2000's as well as my other mentioned headphones. so i'll go into that a little.  oh one thing i will mention: somewhere along the line i picked up a ibasso d10 which i hooked up to my desktop mac via the optical thingy and i usually plugged my d2000's into that.  i have always been on the fence as to whether or not i was getting any benefit from going through this amp.  i don't know my way around these ohms and graphs but i get the idea - amps can give you power, some speakers need power. back in the day i loaded many a car with many high powered clean amps so i could properly rock out.  i get it, i just can't say i heard  any definite improvements through this amp/dac. it does sound a bit different, perhaps a bit more aggressive than just plug and play mac, iphones, etc.  i will say while i could take the amp or leave it with the d2000's, i did not like it with the d600.  i was actually trolling around for some amp recommends for these d600's when i decided to lay down my megapost.  i wanted to hip people to the $339 fumfie.com price.  i wish i paid $339 for mine because i would love them or like them more.  once again, i digress.

so my source is spotify through whatever sound card you would find in those mac-ers.  some specific songs i listened to on each (because i thought they would showcase or expose the phones) were:  Jai Paul ( jasmine and BTSTU), SBTRKT (hold on),  James Blake (the wilhelm scream), some Talvin Singh, some new zztop (I Gotsta get paid), halloween, alaska.  so these have some electronic elements and some open areas where one should hear silence and then some striking bass.  (i admitted to a bass fascination)

i have read some others' impressions of the d600's and i would say i tend to agree with what i've been reading.  some were gushing, which i think has more to do with justifying the price spent.  most describe what i hear - sans any kind of ampage - a good quality sound, not bass heavy but bass forward maybe.  maybe recessed mids which i've always kind of liked and clear highs although i would say i remember (i listened to them all day today) the treble on my d2000's to be less abrupt, more joyous sounding.  my 2000's have a prettier quality to me.  i guess they are a bit brighter but in a good way.  also, the 600's sort of put me in a tunnel of sound where with the 2000's i'm just there with the music around me. i suppose this is soundstage stuff and i've run into my vocabulary limit on that.

now, more about the 600's.  i don't do much hard rock or any classic rock but i was curious to hear this zztop song through these "box speakers on your head" - it sounds tough.  i feel like i'm in one of those bars that are painted black, standing too close to an amp stack.  i like it, it's not pretty.  on the other side of the spectrum i listen to this metrosexual james Blake stuff which is beautiful.  pop - it starts, seems tight and clean, i can feel bass, it might be a little aggressive, but i like it.  it's exciting for a young girl.  i'm sure these clamp a bit more than the d2000's, i know this helps with isolation and leakage but i think this detracts from the comfort.  the 2000's are more comfy to me - i never think about how i'm putting them on, i just pop 'em on.  the 600's, i take a second to make sure i got 'em right then i adjust 'em around a bit.  SBTRKT,  clean, no noise, keyboards clinking away nicely, not harsh.  the highs do seem a bit restrained possibly.

if you never had the 2000's and you bought these and you were a bit of a basshead (but not a super-basshead) i think you would be quite happy.  BUT, if you have the 000's and you're happy but you want to be more happy so you get the 600's as an upgrade, i think you're disappointed.

i am personally disappointed with the 600's as an upgrade to the 2000's but still i can't say i don't like them. i won when i got the 2000s for $270 but i lost when i got the 600s for $420.  

(for those on the fence, get them, but get a good price - closer to 300 than 400.  if you get them through amazon at 499 at least you can return them.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,077 of 1,588
Quote:
thanks for reading my crazy post.  i assure you all, english is my first language......a girl gets excited and she makes mistakes.  now as i said before, i am no audiophile, i'm just a dude who often works through the night (on a pooter) and my only friend during these literal dark times is my headphones and a few musical biscuits.  also, in the interest of full disclosure, i'm listening to music mainly through my super fancy mac desktop and iphones and ipads.  these days i'm listening to music via spotify premium and i have no idea what the bit rate and quality of that is.  i can say it costs me $10 a month.  further, i type with one finger, while the other fingers just watch.  curiously, i often refer to myself as a female not because i'm gay or transgender - i just find it cute and funny.

so to the Sound Quality question of the d600 relative to the d2000.  i have taken my d2000's to the office so i cannot compare them head to head right now. of course, when the i got the d600's a couple weeks ago, i did compare and contrast them quite a bit with my d2000's as well as my other mentioned headphones. so i'll go into that a little.  oh one thing i will mention: somewhere along the line i picked up a ibasso d10 which i hooked up to my desktop mac via the optical thingy and i usually plugged my d2000's into that.  i have always been on the fence as to whether or not i was getting any benefit from going through this amp.  i don't know my way around these ohms and graphs but i get the idea - amps can give you power, some speakers need power. back in the day i loaded many a car with many high powered clean amps so i could properly rock out.  i get it, i just can't say i heard  any definite improvements through this amp/dac. it does sound a bit different, perhaps a bit more aggressive than just plug and play mac, iphones, etc.  i will say while i could take the amp or leave it with the d2000's, i did not like it with the d600.  i was actually trolling around for some amp recommends for these d600's when i decided to lay down my megapost.  i wanted to hip people to the $339 fumfie.com price.  i wish i paid $339 for mine because i would love them or like them more.  once again, i digress.

so my source is spotify through whatever sound card you would find in those mac-ers.  some specific songs i listened to on each (because i thought they would showcase or expose the phones) were:  Jai Paul ( jasmine and BTSTU), SBTRKT (hold on),  James Blake (the wilhelm scream), some Talvin Singh, some new zztop (I Gotsta get paid), halloween, alaska.  so these have some electronic elements and some open areas where one should hear silence and then some striking bass.  (i admitted to a bass fascination)

i have read some others' impressions of the d600's and i would say i tend to agree with what i've been reading.  some were gushing, which i think has more to do with justifying the price spent.  most describe what i hear - sans any kind of ampage - a good quality sound, not bass heavy but bass forward maybe.  maybe recessed mids which i've always kind of liked and clear highs although i would say i remember (i listened to them all day today) the treble on my d2000's to be less abrupt, more joyous sounding.  my 2000's have a prettier quality to me.  i guess they are a bit brighter but in a good way.  also, the 600's sort of put me in a tunnel of sound where with the 2000's i'm just there with the music around me. i suppose this is soundstage stuff and i've run into my vocabulary limit on that.

now, more about the 600's.  i don't do much hard rock or any classic rock but i was curious to hear this zztop song through these "box speakers on your head" - it sounds tough.  i feel like i'm in one of those bars that are painted black, standing too close to an amp stack.  i like it, it's not pretty.  on the other side of the spectrum i listen to this metrosexual james Blake stuff which is beautiful.  pop - it starts, seems tight and clean, i can feel bass, it might be a little aggressive, but i like it.  it's exciting for a young girl.  i'm sure these clamp a bit more than the d2000's, i know this helps with isolation and leakage but i think this detracts from the comfort.  the 2000's are more comfy to me - i never think about how i'm putting them on, i just pop 'em on.  the 600's, i take a second to make sure i got 'em right then i adjust 'em around a bit.  SBTRKT,  clean, no noise, keyboards clinking away nicely, not harsh.  the highs do seem a bit restrained possibly.

if you never had the 2000's and you bought these and you were a bit of a basshead (but not a super-basshead) i think you would be quite happy.  BUT, if you have the 000's and you're happy but you want to be more happy so you get the 600's as an upgrade, i think you're disappointed.

i am personally disappointed with the 600's as an upgrade to the 2000's but still i can't say i don't like them. i won when i got the 2000s for $270 but i lost when i got the 600s for $420.  

(for those on the fence, get them, but get a good price - closer to 300 than 400.  if you get them through amazon at 499 at least you can return them.)

I am glad you posted this. I had ordered the d200 and the d600 at the same time. I tried them both and found both to have the same sound in a sense. The d200 sounded more like I was  standing right next to the speaker, but very good. But the d600 sounded more like I was standing back. I guess this could be sound stage. But for 499 I had paid, I could not understand. I found them on fumfire for $349 and that is better price point to pay. I am returning them to amazon and getting them off fumfire. At that price point I think this is a great buy.  Thanks for your review. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back