New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,036 of 1,588
Burn in is probably more about getting your auditory system used to the peculiarities of equipment rather than changing the equipment itself. What does not sound right to you to begin with may sound ok or great after your ears and brain learn to compensate.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,037 of 1,588
What's up guys,

My friend purchased the D600 and the D7100 last week and he let me borrow them to compare to one another and to my D5Ks. From what I can tell the new series is not up to par with the older. The warmth and the richness is gone along with the recession of the bass compared to the D5ks. The bass almost sounds artificial. And both the D600 and the D7100 sound almost identical. They also seem to color the sound in a way. I am no expert, just a headphone enthusiast.

Sincerely,  

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,038 of 1,588
Quote:
What's up guys,

My friend purchased the D600 and the D7100 last week and he let me borrow them to compare to one another and to my D5Ks. From what I can tell the new series is not up to par with the older. The warmth and the richness is gone along with the recession of the bass compared to the D5ks. The bass almost sounds artificial. And both the D600 and the D7100 sound almost identical. They also seem to color the sound in a way. I am no expert, just a headphone enthusiast.

Sincerely,  

Hi There! 

I see you have a low post count, so if no one has said it, "Welcome to head-fi!" 

Thanks for your analytical comments of the two. I think 'artificial' is a great word to describe what I thought of the D7100's bass. I just couldn't think of that word.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,039 of 1,588
Quote:

Hi There! 

I see you have a low post count, so if no one has said it, "Welcome to head-fi!" 

Thanks for your analytical comments of the two. I think 'artificial' is a great word to describe what I thought of the D7100's bass. I just couldn't think of that word.

Well thank you! 

I wish that Denon wouldn't have chosen this direction with this new line of headphones. Just seems lazy in my opinion. And like most people have been saying on the forums, they are aiming for the Dr Dre crowd. Which is pitiful. Oh well though.

Sincerely, 

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #1,042 of 1,588
That's just sad. I was set that these will be my new fav closed headphones with good isolation and comfort to replace my beloved D2000's. And now this...

I'm still thinking to get them once the prices are down. Fingers crossed that most of you are wrong
biggrin.gif

Just the way it was with "legendary" Grado HF2. After so many praises here on Head-Fi I was so excited to finally score a pair... only to return them a month later. Talking about overpriced and uncomfortable piece of equipment!

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,043 of 1,588
Quote:
That's just sad. I was set that these will be my new fav closed headphones with good isolation and comfort to replace my beloved D2000's. And now this...

I'm still thinking to get them once the prices are down. Fingers crossed that most of you are wrong
biggrin.gif

Just the way it was with "legendary" Grado HF2. After so many praises here on Head-Fi I was so excited to finally score a pair... only to return them a month later. Talking about overpriced and uncomfortable piece of equipment!

Whaaaa? I can't argue with the comfort, but I rather enjoyed the sound of the HF-2 awhile back. Thought it was a really fun pair to own. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,044 of 1,588
Well, I new to this and spending this kind of money on headphones. The D600, compared to what I have been listening to is much better. I also compared them to the D2000 and like the D600 better. That said, I still could not see paying $499 for them. I am returning them BUT picking up a new set from fumfie.com for $349.97. I think that is a much better price. Now they have not shipped yet, so someone there me if there is something better out there for that price. PLEASE

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,045 of 1,588
Quote:
Well, I new to this and spending this kind of money on headphones. The D600, compared to what I have been listening to is much better. I also compared them to the D2000 and like the D600 better. That said, I still could not see paying $499 for them. I am returning them BUT picking up a new set from fumfie.com for $349.97. I think that is a much better price. Now they have not shipped yet, so someone there me if there is something better out there for that price. PLEASE

If you don't need a closed pair of headphones and you have decent amplification, the 'Mad Dog' headphones or the HE-400 are pretty good wins

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,048 of 1,588
Quote:

They are pretty much closed, but not totally sealed like the K550 or new denons. There is some leakage that happens (not from the pads but from the cups)

Okay, thanks.  Do you know if orthodynamic headphones are at a natural disadvantage regarding bass punch compared to dynamic drivers?  I'm considering the new Mad Dogs with Dog Pads as my "neutral can" but would also like some bass for modern music.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,049 of 1,588
Quote:
Okay, thanks.  Do you know if orthodynamic headphones are at a natural disadvantage regarding bass punch compared to dynamic drivers?  I'm considering the new Mad Dogs with Dog Pads as my "neutral can" but would also like some bass for modern music.

I'm not sure what you want by "bass". If you're looking for something with a little bass bloom, orthos aren't the way to go. Orthos are generally very tight and controlled with bass. The Mad Dogs have bass that can go down, but it's very controlled and balanced by the rest of the spectrum, so it's not overpowered. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back