New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #886 of 1,588
Quote:

[size=13.0pt]I am most pleased with the D7100’s articulation of hard rock, my favorite genre.  Megadeth’s “Tornado of Souls” opening palm mute riff just oozes aggression.  Love the guitar crunch with the 7100’s.  I am a fan so far. [/size]

I was glad to hear this when I first read it, but then I thought, the production on this album is pretty damn good. Even on a crappy system I've never heard "Tornado of Souls" sound bad!

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #888 of 1,588
Quote:
I tried Beats Pro once.  I can't comment on their sound because they were by far the least comfortable headphone I'd ever worn, like some kind of torture device.  

Completely agree. Plus they don't even sound good. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #894 of 1,588
Quote:
They sound alright, certainly not hi-fi and certainly not on par with the price. But they're alright. 

Agreed, just returned a pair to headroom... a step back from the D5000 for sure. I found the character of the D600 to be fairly unaltered by different amp/dacs/straight out of iphone, etc. The mids were consistently shallow, vocals sounded boxed in and were seriously lacking in organic timbre. Bass was tighter than the D5000 and seemed to hold together better but highs were really rolled off. Instrument separation was generally poor and there was a strain to pluck out even the not so subtle nuances and layers in the music. All that said I think they can be somewhat foot-tapping fun considering they have good punch, handle rock and metal well, and offer a decent seal with convenient options for portability and travel. Unfortunately they come in at about $200 more than they are worth IMO and as a successor to what was not a balanced hifi phone by any means but more so than these and certainly with more hi-end home audio, albeit less durable aesthetics. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #898 of 1,588
Quote:
of course the almighty ultrasones but the burn time is terribly long, about 1 month to 2 months i hear. (for pro 900)

Burn in? Oh please... Anyway, sound preference is very subjective... heck, I like my $30 Pannies better than the Beats Pros... (sound signature wise...)
Anyway, D600s are Ok. Still preferring MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (even if the bass impact is not quite up to par...). If you are looking for great bass reproduction, the Ultrasone Signature Pro is one of the best I've tried. Denon D5000 awesome sub-bass, bit uncontrolled bass but should be enough for a basshead and best of all it doesn't have shrill highs (unlike the Pro 900s...).

I guess it all hinges on WHAT YOU want!
Are you looking for just bass and don't care about anything else?
Are you looking for bass + comfort?
Are you looking for "kind-of" neutral but emphasized lows?
etc. etc.

I guess you would be better just trying the M-Audio Q40 first... and if you like those, then keep going up...

Good luck

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #899 of 1,588
Quote:
Burn in? Oh please... Anyway, sound preference is very subjective... heck, I like my $30 Pannies better than the Beats Pros... (sound signature wise...)
Anyway, D600s are Ok. Still preferring MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (even if the bass impact is not quite up to par...). If you are looking for great bass reproduction, the Ultrasone Signature Pro is one of the best I've tried. Denon D5000 awesome sub-bass, bit uncontrolled bass but should be enough for a basshead and best of all it doesn't have shrill highs (unlike the Pro 900s...).

I guess it all hinges on WHAT YOU want!
Are you looking for just bass and don't care about anything else?
Are you looking for bass + comfort?
Are you looking for "kind-of" neutral but emphasized lows?
etc. etc.

I guess you would be better just trying the M-Audio Q40 first... and if you like those, then keep going up...

Good luck

Thanks. This is getting off topic, Imma stop for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back