New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,351 of 1,588
Last year got into head fi and got myself, almost simultaneously, a pair of Beats Studio and Sennheiser HD595.  I did like the bass on the beats, but everything else was no bueno and even the bass wasn't "clean."

The HD595's were awesome...except the bass.  Still my go to headphone for movie watching (when I'm not in my dedicated home theater with 180" screen and 7 Klipsch [don't crucify me] floorstanding speakers + 400W sub), most comfortable headphones on the planet IMHO.

So to get a good pair of headphones, with good bass, got myself a pair of D600's.  $177 on Ebay (It was a make an offer bid, and with 2 hours left, nobody did it).  I LOVE it.  At $177 it was a big time steal in my book.  Then I paired with an E07k and, yeah, it's awesome (and for that matter, the HD595's with E07k are nice too).  I'm now a head fi junkie already thinking about selling the Beats (duh), but maybe also add another pair, I dunno.  I listen to all kinds of music from rap to hip hop to alternative to Bollywood to trap/dubstep to country to pop, etc, etc.

Question though: Part of the "catch" is that the ebay auction didn't come with the shorter cables.  How can I get a short 3 foot cable that works with the D600 for use with a smartphone or what not?  I've done a lot of google searching, and come up with nothing.  Seem some people ask here in other threads, but nobody responds.  There should be some aftermarket cables, right?  Not looking to spend a ton, but I literally can't find anything.  I don't care about ipod controls and what not, just a shorter cable.  The 10 foot cable is kind of a pain for many purposes.

Thanks!!

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,352 of 1,588
Quote:
Last year got into head fi and got myself, almost simultaneously, a pair of Beats Studio and Sennheiser HD595.  I did like the bass on the beats, but everything else was no bueno and even the bass wasn't "clean."

The HD595's were awesome...except the bass.  Still my go to headphone for movie watching (when I'm not in my dedicated home theater with 180" screen and 7 Klipsch [don't crucify me] floorstanding speakers + 400W sub), most comfortable headphones on the planet IMHO.

So to get a good pair of headphones, with good bass, got myself a pair of D600's.  $177 on Ebay (It was a make an offer bid, and with 2 hours left, nobody did it).  I LOVE it.  At $177 it was a big time steal in my book.  Then I paired with an E07k and, yeah, it's awesome (and for that matter, the HD595's with E07k are nice too).  I'm now a head fi junkie already thinking about selling the Beats (duh), but maybe also add another pair, I dunno.  I listen to all kinds of music from rap to hip hop to alternative to Bollywood to trap/dubstep to country to pop, etc, etc.

Question though: Part of the "catch" is that the ebay auction didn't come with the shorter cables.  How can I get a short 3 foot cable that works with the D600 for use with a smartphone or what not?  I've done a lot of google searching, and come up with nothing.  Seem some people ask here in other threads, but nobody responds.  There should be some aftermarket cables, right?  Not looking to spend a ton, but I literally can't find anything.  I don't care about ipod controls and what not, just a shorter cable.  The 10 foot cable is kind of a pain for many purposes.

Thanks!!

Ouch you're in quite a bind. The HD700 cables may work for this guy, but they'll cost you more than the HD700 themselves. You may need to contact Denon parts and ask if they will sell that cable. It could be an expensive endeavor. They think these headphones are worth $500, so the parts will be priced accordingly.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,353 of 1,588
Quote:

Ouch you're in quite a bind. The HD700 cables may work for this guy, but they'll cost you more than the HD700 themselves. You may need to contact Denon parts and ask if they will sell that cable. It could be an expensive endeavor. They think these headphones are worth $500, so the parts will be priced accordingly.

Well the worst case scenario is to do what any other head fi'er would do:  get another pair of headphones (not necessarily Denon) for more mobile use!
biggrin.gif

But thanks for the suggestion!

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,356 of 1,588
I think Charleston Cable Company offers some pretty affordable cables compared to a lot of the custom cable makers out there.
http://www.charlestoncablecompany.com/index.html

I went with their mid range cable for my D600. The 10' cable was just too much for me, while the shorter cable just felt too flimsy. I had CCC make me a 5' cable. Very durable, great craftsmanship, and more flexible than the 10' cable. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,358 of 1,588
Quote:
They don't list Denon and can you tell us how much?

The pricing is the same for every cable regardless of the end connector. For instance a mid end cable is $120 for 3' unsleeved then they just add specific connectors at your preference. You'd just contact them and tell them you want a mid end cable but instead of Audeze/Sennheiser/or Hifiman connectors use 3.5mm connectors. :)

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,360 of 1,588
Quote:
I think Charleston Cable Company offers some pretty affordable cables compared to a lot of the custom cable makers out there.
http://www.charlestoncablecompany.com/index.html

I went with their mid range cable for my D600. The 10' cable was just too much for me, while the shorter cable just felt too flimsy. I had CCC make me a 5' cable. Very durable, great craftsmanship, and more flexible than the 10' cable. 

+1 for Charleston cables. I hate the silver cable with HE-500 and ordered just the entry level Canare cable. The guage and build is better than the stock Cu HiFiman cable. Didn't want to really spend $100 but now that I have it I can live with it.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,362 of 1,588
Quote:
Contact made with CCC, he tells me that the connector wells need to be removed with a screwdriver. Not sure I want to do this.

Yea, I'm the one that told him. Takes no more than 10 minutes, but I think it does void your warranty if you still have one. Really simple though. I didn't take any pictures of the progress but I can if needed. All you need is a PH000 screwdriver. Remove the the earpads, unscrew the driver from the headband to reveal the back of it, then unscrew the wells.

3.5mm connector can't get full contact

Connector well circled in red

You pretty much have two choices. Keep your stock cable, or remove the connector wells for the new cable. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,363 of 1,588
Quote:

Please do not take much time, I am sure many head-if'er is waiting to hear from you...

wait is killing me...it is bigger then new iphone release I feel

The same thing is happening to me too... the wait is killing me too.

On a side note I just realized we both live in the D.C. area *waves*

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,365 of 1,588
Quote:

You pretty much have two choices. Keep your stock cable, or remove the connector wells for the new cable. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. :)

Think I'll stick with stock cable for now, don't want to void my warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back