New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #736 of 1,588
Quote:

Perhaps it was a pre-production model. I'm open to that. Although, what's the chances that Denon takes a differently-tuned pre-production model, puts it in normal packaging, and ships it to the owner of the biggest headphone forum in the world just weeks before it's official release? I'd file this under possible, but not very likely.

And who knows how long it was burned in. I haven't ever experienced burn-in to have such dramatic effects in headphones -- and I've owned several headphones that are notorious for "needing burn-in" (three Ultrasones, K701...). And what I heard wasn't a slightly unrefined headphone needing a tad bit of settling. Nope, this was huge doses of suckage. 

Assuming Craigster75 is correct in that the $400 D600 sounds very similar to the $1200 D7100, that would actually make the D600 a much more reasonable proposition/value -- considering that good, closed, portable headphones are so few and far between. Being just $250 overpriced is much better than $1050 overpriced. 

I appreciate you having an open mind since there is 180 degrees of separation with our listening experience.  I truly found nothing veiled or rolled-off about the D600.  If anything, I thought they were detailed and slightly bright.

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #741 of 1,588
Just arrived:

ph34r.gif

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #744 of 1,588
Take your time! LOL

Still listening to the D600s and I have to say that they are not THAAAAT bad as others have mentioned... Maybe they do measure pretty bad but apart from not enough sub-bass and weirdo highs I'm actually Ok with them. Keepers? Not really, but respectable (to MY ears...)

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #745 of 1,588
So, from what I understood, the drivers are no longer made by Foster, right? Maybe that explains the disappointment. The Denon HP700 (modded) are still kicking ass, pretty close to the D7000's for a fraction of the cost (avoid the HP1000's though).

Looking forward for that review, anyways.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #749 of 1,588
So, from what I understood, the drivers are no longer made by Foster, right? Maybe that explains the disappointment. The Denon HP700 (modded) are still kicking ass, pretty close to the D7000's for a fraction of the cost (avoid the HP1000's though).

Looking forward for that review, anyways.

There were no truly circumaural pads for the hp700 right?

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #750 of 1,588
Quote:
Take your time! LOL

Still listening to the D600s and I have to say that they are not THAAAAT bad as others have mentioned... Maybe they do measure pretty bad but apart from not enough sub-bass and weirdo highs I'm actually Ok with them. Keepers? Not really, but respectable (to MY ears...)

I think the negatives bantered around here are for the D400. I can't imagine anyone that doesn't like deep strong bass, present but smooth highs disliking the D600. I agree with previous poster about the D7000 being better but they don't isolate for crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back