New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #691 of 1,588
Quote:
Somehow I had the feeling Denon would go the Beats route right when they started marketing their headphones with Beats Aesthetics and that silly naming strategy.

That amount of bass elevation coupled with the bass distortion looks silly.  Now I'm interested to see if they can compete with the Ultrasone Edition 8/10 for waterfall plot king.

I for the most part trust and agree with Tyll's reviews and impressions of headphones.  If he really liked the already semi-colored Denon 2/5/7k line, then the new Denons must be really horrific.

I am surprised someone with your experience here would pass judgement on a headphone you never heard based on one person's opinion.  Also, you say "the new Denons" as if they are all the same headphone.  I have listened to the D400 and, yes, it is horrific.  However, the D600, while not perfect, has many positive attributes.  There is nothing resembling Beats sound in the Music Maniac line.  I feel comfortable sharing that opinion because I have listened to both headphones.  Just some food for thought.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #692 of 1,588
I know it's hard to do so, but I think literally the only thing I've disagreed that came out of Tyll's mind has been his view on the K550.

When he likes the older Denons so much that he puts them on the wall of fame, to almost completely disregarding the new ones, something very fishy is going on with the headphones.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #694 of 1,588
Quote:
I know it's hard to do so, but I think literally the only thing I've disagreed that came out of Tyll's mind has been his view on the K550.

When he likes the older Denons so much that he puts them on the wall of fame, to almost completely disregarding the new ones, something very fishy is going on with the headphones.

The K550 is one that sticks out in my mind as well.  I believe Tyll just posted objective measurements and hasn't yet posted a more subjective listening review of either the D600 or D7100, so perhaps the jury is still out?

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #695 of 1,588
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-september-2012-update
""Despite measurements to the contrary, the AH-D7100 highest treble octave seems to have gone missing,
and the mid treble is significantly blurred by some of the most horrific ringing that I've seen in a headphone.""

Anyone has comments on this remark...??
================================================

The highs were pretty good on the darkstar amp during my short audition...
maybe my old pair of ears have never heard the highest treble octave evvvver..so i didnt know its missing...lol

Anyway, i am more inclined towards the opinion its about getting a good snyergy with the rest of the gears...
whicih i hope someone further down the line would add their feedbacks.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #696 of 1,588
He described them as really ringy, and he doesn't measure CSD waterfall plots like Purrin does, so there is indeed some subjective impressions going on.

Purely objectively speaking I don't think I'd mind the D600, but that distortion looks weird.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #697 of 1,588
Quote:
He described them as really ringy, and he doesn't measure CSD waterfall plots like Purrin does, so there is indeed some subjective impressions going on.

Purely objectively speaking I don't think I'd mind the D600, but that distortion looks weird.

I didn't find anything glaring in the mids and highs that was a negative distraction based on listening to them for several days.  To my ears, I find the mids and highs detailed and clean without being overly bright.  I only picked up excessive brightness on tracks that seemed to be recorded that way.  Of course, others may hear them differently.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #699 of 1,588
Quote:
I am surprised someone with your experience here would pass judgement on a headphone you never heard based on one person's opinion.  Also, you say "the new Denons" as if they are all the same headphone.  I have listened to the D400 and, yes, it is horrific.  However, the D600, while not perfect, has many positive attributes.  There is nothing resembling Beats sound in the Music Maniac line.  I feel comfortable sharing that opinion because I have listened to both headphones.  Just some food for thought.

+1

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #700 of 1,588
Some of you probably know Tyll from here or are registered at Inner Fidelity. Would it be too much trouble to ask him for a proper review? Like the one he made for the old line.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #701 of 1,588
Quote:
I didn't find anything glaring in the mids and highs that was a negative distraction based on listening to them for several days.  To my ears, I find the mids and highs detailed and clean without being overly bright.  I only picked up excessive brightness on tracks that seemed to be recorded that way.  Of course, others may hear them differently.

+1
@TMRaven  You shouldn't wait cause you know too well always trust your EARS not GRAPHS

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #702 of 1,588
Quote:

Elitism begets elitism... or a gaggle of shrouded hirelings. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back