New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #61 of 1,169
Maybe not such a bad thing. I doubt I'd want to walk around outside with cans that noticeably cost £1k - would likely attract the wrong sort of attention...
Interestingly enough, I doubt people will be able to tell it's worth that much! It doesn't scream luxury the way a Focal Stellia does. However, people will probably look at you funny given how bulk they look! 😁

Nov 9, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #62 of 1,169
Ok, this is one aspect that I mentioning several times in the ST thread. This is about the reproduction of cymbals (and also of snare drums), and this is why I mentioning before in this thread that, in my opinion, the high frequencies are the more difficult frequencies doing correctly in a headphone. With the 12 (and 5909) you having a more big soundstage and the perception of more details (this is with the help of more treble presence), but for actual realism of cymbals and snare drums, the ST clearly is more accurate, in my view. This is similar like when in photography some photos showing more details or more contrast in colours, but ultimately isn't so real like what your eyes perceiving in reality -- more impressive initially, yes, but not so natural at the end.

But I must insisting that the io-12 is really a very, very good headphone with really very good sound. And, if I don't know the ST, I keeping definitely. I still need doing more testing for being 100% sure that I keeping the ST and not the 12, but right now I'm 85% the ST is my preference.

I wonder if the Dali would then be better for electronic music where the sounds are artificial but sound stage is much more important.

has anyone posted the FR graph for the Dali?

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #63 of 1,169
You know what I'm about to ask you @angelom lol because despite our many squabbles I trust your opinion a lot. You had the Px8's for some time and I know how you feel about them but putting that part aside, how do you compare them to the iO-12's? Knowing how you feel I don't need the sermon on the Px8 lmao, just how the sound is different, the comfort, etc etc. I trust you to be brutally honest.

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #64 of 1,169
I wonder if the Dali would then be better for electronic music where the sounds are artificial but sound stage is much more important.

I don't know because I don't listening to electronic music very much. BUT in this genre you still having low, mid and high frequencies. If is more important soundstage for you than more correct representation of different frequencies (like in the ST, in my opinion), then the iO-12 maybe a great option.

has anyone posted the FR graph for the Dali?

I'm sure nobody publishing a FR graph yet because the io12 is out only a few days, and only in Europe. But I'm sure a graph will becoming available soon because the Dalis are selling in very many more places than the ST (is looking like Dali have good distribution around the world). So I think is very possible too that Dali offering (free) review/marketing samples to several publications, in big contrast with the Solitaire T where after one year nobody doing official FR graph except for only one member here of head-fi that very, very few people (nobody, really) know.

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #65 of 1,169
Hey all, since there are close to 0 reviews for these online and I happen to own a pair for almost a week, I've decided to share my first rough impressions.

Anyhow, there are my impressions:
* Design: plastic, very big, glossy, over-the-top case. Personally I'm not a fan and much rather prefer the design of PX8 or even Bathys (although they're also plastic and big)
* Comfort: surprisingly very good, suitable for long listening sessions. Obviously they get quite hot, as any close-back with a good passive isolation, but that's inevitable.
* Sound: very impressive for a BT headphone (and, no, I haven't tried T+A). Surprisingly large sound stage, even for wired closed-backs (and sometimes I even feel that my ZMF Aeolus have a comparable sound stage to IO-12). Very clear mids and fantastic vocals (this is where I have a bit of problem with overly dark and wrapped-in-bass mids with PX8). Treble for some might be a bit too much, IMO, but for me it's not a problem. Wired USB-C connection makes the sound even better, for me it's pretty close to e.g. Denon 5200 in terms of overall quality. I haven't really tested fully passive connection and will try it with Burson Conductor and Mojo 2 later.

I also own PX8 for almost a year and comparing IO-12 to PX8 in terms of sound quality does not make a lot of sense, these are miles better in any possible dimension (and I love the sound of PX8).

So all in all I'm very happy with the sound and somewhat annoyed/unhappy with the design. Still have some time to decide whether I'll keep it and likely post a bit more detailed impressions later.

P.S. On a side node, it's a bit of a shame that Dali "decided" not to invest into marketing campaign (aka "send headphones for _honest_ reviews"), so I doubt these will ever be popular at least on ML 5909 level.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #66 of 1,169
Hey all, since there are close to 0 reviews for these online and I happen to own a pair for almost a week, I've decided to share my first rough impressions.

Anyhow, there are my impressions:
* Design: plastic, very big, glossy, over-the-top case. Personally I'm not a fan and much rather prefer the design of PX8 or even Bathys (although they're also plastic and big)
* Comfort: surprisingly very good, suitable for long listening sessions. Obviously they get quite hot, as any close-back with a good passive isolation, but that's inevitable.
* Sound: very impressive for a BT headphone (and, no, I haven't tried T+A). Surprisingly large sound stage, even for wired closed-backs (and sometimes I even feel that my ZMF Aeolus have a comparable sound stage to IO-12). Very clear mids and fantastic vocals (this is where I have a bit of problem with overly dark and wrapped-in-bass mids with PX8). Treble for some might be a bit too much, IMO, but for me it's not a problem. Wired USB-C connection makes the sound even better, for me it's pretty close to e.g. Denon 5200 in terms of overall quality. I haven't really tested fully passive connection and will try it with Burson Conductor and Mojo 2 later.

I also own PX8 for almost a year and comparing IO-12 to PX8 in terms of sound quality does not make a lot of sense, these are miles better in any possible dimension (and I love the sound of PX8).

So all in all I'm very happy with the sound and somewhat annoyed/unhappy with the design. Still have some time to decide whether I'll keep it and likely post a bit more detailed impressions later.

P.S. On a side node, it's a bit of a shame that Dali "decided" not to invest into marketing campaign (aka "send headphones for _honest_ reviews"), so I doubt these will ever be popular at least on ML 5909 level.
Starting to see a pattern emerge on the basis of 2 people! Exact same impressions as you! From design to comfort and sound. Also love my Px8 but IO-12 offer a more refined sound. Just wish they looked as classy as the Px8.

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #67 of 1,169

Starting to see a pattern emerge on the basis of 2 people! Exact same impressions as you! From design to comfort and sound. Also love my Px8 but IO-12 offer a more refined sound.

If you are speaking only about proper good sound, then I'm sorry saying that the px8 mustn't be mentioning at all when comparing with the iO-12, Solitaire T, ML 5909 or the Focal Bathys. Yes, people have their sound preferences, but in that case maybe we must also mentioning the AirPods Max or some very more cheap Sony models that having muddy sound but maybe a preference for some people and they thinking that this 1000(+) EUR headphones are not so good. I still think, by the way, that the 6-7 years old B&W P7 Wireless sounding better than the very more expensive px8 (specially in the mids and treble) and having better construction quality. I even saying in the px8 fanboy thread that, for me, the AirPods Pro 2nd gen sounding better than the px8. Of course my views aren't very popular there.

------------------------------------------

Today is my 4th day with the io12 and my decision is final. The ST, for me and I'm now 100% sure, is clearly a better sounding headphone and having other better aspects too that I will not repeating in this post.

About the sound of the io12, I will repeating that if I don't owning the ST, the io12 is my preference more than the 5909 that, before buying the ST, is my favourite (better than the Bathys by small margin and clear step from b&o h95).

In general, when I switching from the ST to the 12, I feel like I'm receiving in my ears more hollow sound, and this clearly explaining the 'better' soundstage of the 12 vs the ST. Is not exactly V-shaped sound, but something similar is happening that appealing very much, but not enough to me when I have the ST already that giving a very different, more accurate, sonic picture.

The 12 is depending a lot on DSP for the very good sound. The ST isn't. The ST's tech is in a class of its own, but this don't meaning that the sound will appreciating by everybody, but people that really know about good sound recognising that the ST is a different animal not only in the world of BT/ANC headphones, but a headphone that competing very favourably with some similar price wired-only headphones, or even more expensive.

BUT, my last paragraph meaning absolutely nothing until you hearing things really yourself, because I'm sure that some (or many even!) people preferring the sound of the new Bose QuietConfort Ultra than the ST, 5909 and maybe the 12 (specially if they don't know the price differences).

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #68 of 1,169
So I think is very possible too that Dali offering (free) review/marketing samples to several publications, in big contrast with the Solitaire T where after one year nobody doing official FR graph except for only one member here of head-fi that very, very few people (nobody, really) know.
I am also still waiting for FR graph from oratory1990 for the Hifiman Arya Organic, which is already some months on the market. I know he is doing measurements during his free time, so this can take a little time. But he offers that you can send your headphone to him and he will do the measurement for your headphone. For me unfortunately no option because I live in Germany.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #69 of 1,169
I recently received the Dali iO-12 and would like to share my experiences with you and look forward to a lively exchange about the headphones. I've already written about the headphones elsewhere, but I'd like to repeat my comments here (thanks @angelom for the tip).

My first impression with these gems: Bass like the B&O H95, but clarity and stage like ML5909 on Bluetooth HiFi mode. Best of both worlds! I'm very impressed actually.

The next day I tested the ANC without music while my girlfriend was driving on a German freeway (kind of a funny test, shout out to her!) with the windows up and radio on. I had the Bose QuietComfort, the ML 5909 and the Dali iO-12 with me and tested them side by side.

The clear winner was the Bose QuietComfort. It did the best job of blocking out the radio and almost all the noise from the road. In second place was the ML 5909, which was quite effective at blocking the lower frequenzies (e.g. road noise), but not as effective as the Bose at blocking radio noise. Last but not least was the Dali iO-12, which was surprisingly... well, ineffective or dare I say bad (?) for the price of 999 Euros. However, the ML 5909 and Bose had their problems with wind getting into the microphone and amplifying it a little in the headphones. Not the Dali iO-12, but maybe it has to do with the angel the wind hitting the integrated microphones.

That said, I don't think the Dali iO-12s are suitable for 'on the go' use. The headphones are quite large and don't sit as firmly on your head as the Bose, ML or B&O. And the extra case is huge, even bigger than the XM5's. And as I said, the ANC is good enough for home use, but I wouldn't personally take them on the train, plane, etc.

As for my personal user experience with the new Dali: I really like the voice feedback, but the little buttons on the side of the earcups still confuse me a bit. I keep pressing the wrong button. However, the large buttons on the flat side (where the Dali logo is lasered in) are really nice. I like the tactile feedback and the small increments to adjust the volume.

The Dali iO-12's transparency mode sounds quite realistic, but your own voices are still muffled. Still not at the level of the AirPods Max.

Having used the iO-12 for about 8 hours now, I have to say that the built-in bass EQ is quite nice, but it does muffle vocals a bit. I am not a hi-fi professional, and we certainly need more opinions on this, but I think you could say that the bass EQ bleeds well into the mids. This isn't bad when you're listening to electronic music without vocals, but I prefer the hi-fi EQ on most of the time. But it is still nice to be able to change the EQ quickly with just the click of a button... and maybe I feel that the mids have too much bass because the sound in hi-fi mode is sooo clear and sooo nice! The dynamics, the sound stage and clearity with fairly deep bass keeps me grabbing to the Dali rather to the ML 5909.

Any questions? Please let me know, I am more than happy to help.
Thanks for the review I’m very interested in these. The looks and specs seem gorgeous. I heard a promoter say that they have an electrostatic-like mid range. Any thoughts on this claim?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #70 of 1,169
If you are speaking only about proper good sound, then I'm sorry saying that the px8 mustn't be mentioning at all when comparing with the iO-12, Solitaire T, ML 5909 or the Focal Bathys. Yes, people have their sound preferences, but in that case maybe we must also mentioning the AirPods Max or some very more cheap Sony models that having muddy sound but maybe a preference for some people and they thinking that this 1000(+) EUR headphones are not so good. I still think, by the way, that the 6-7 years old B&W P7 Wireless sounding better than the very more expensive px8 (specially in the mids and treble) and having better construction quality. I even saying in the px8 fanboy thread that, for me, the AirPods Pro 2nd gen sounding better than the px8. Of course my views aren't very popular there.

------------------------------------------

Today is my 4th day with the io12 and my decision is final. The ST, for me and I'm now 100% sure, is clearly a better sounding headphone and having other better aspects too that I will not repeating in this post.

About the sound of the io12, I will repeating that if I don't owning the ST, the io12 is my preference more than the 5909 that, before buying the ST, is my favourite (better than the Bathys by small margin and clear step from b&o h95).

In general, when I switching from the ST to the 12, I feel like I'm receiving in my ears more hollow sound, and this clearly explaining the 'better' soundstage of the 12 vs the ST. Is not exactly V-shaped sound, but something similar is happening that appealing very much, but not enough to me when I have the ST already that giving a very different, more accurate, sonic picture.

The 12 is depending a lot on DSP for the very good sound. The ST isn't. The ST's tech is in a class of its own, but this don't meaning that the sound will appreciating by everybody, but people that really know about good sound recognising that the ST is a different animal not only in the world of BT/ANC headphones, but a headphone that competing very favourably with some similar price wired-only headphones, or even more expensive.

BUT, my last paragraph meaning absolutely nothing until you hearing things really yourself, because I'm sure that some (or many even!) people preferring the sound of the new Bose QuietConfort Ultra than the ST, 5909 and maybe the 12 (specially if they don't know the price differences).
I like the IO-12 better than T+A Solitaire. How about that.

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #71 of 1,169
I like the IO-12 better than T+A Solitaire. How about that.

You never actually trying the Solitaire T so your comment is completely useless and unhelpful.

Bringing your long time strong animosity towards me (from the PX8 thread) in this thread is extremely childish.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #72 of 1,169
You never actually trying the Solitaire T so your comment is completely useless and unhelpful.
How can you say that? Do you know what headphones other people have heard or not?
I did take the opportunity to borrow a colleagues Solitaire T for two full days. Very nice headphones but didnt do it for me, sound-wise. Also I couldnt stand the plastic ear cups.
Here the Dali IO-12 is much more comfortable for me.
I know it is not ”helpful” to you but I frankly could care less.

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #74 of 1,169
I have to make a comparison between the Dali iO-12 and the B&O H95, as this has been on my mind recently and I don't want to buy two expensive Bluetooth headphones. First of all: I like the H95 a lot and I find it underrepresented in the thread so far and would like to counterbalance it with this post.

Sound: Yes, the sound is better with the Dali iO-12. A clear step forward, the music sounds more authentic, with a larger stage and clearer instrument separation. I wouldn't disagree with that, although I am a beginner and not experienced as many others here with hearing the difference in sound. However, the difference is especially audible when you hear the headphones in direct comparison. But that's the thing: if you listen to music normally, you never hear the headphones in direct comparison.
I also listen to a lot of electronic music, so the quality of the bass is very important to me and the sub-bass of the H95 is unrivaled so far, the treble is never really sharp. The ML 5909s were too stressful for me (I even got headache), where the treble was too sharp (comparable to the iO-12s, although the iO-12s aren't as exhausting), the H95s are perfectly balanced and don't distract from the song. However, the Dali iO-12s remain unrivaled in terms of soundstage. Nevertheless, the H95s always remain interesting thanks to the EQ option and are by no means bad headphones in terms of sound and are better than the majority of Bluetooth headphones such as the Bose QC, Sony MX series, AirPods Max and others.

Comfort/feel: Due to the lighter weight and better fit, the H95s give me a better grip on my head. I can bend down/look down with them on without them slipping off my head (unlike the iO-12). When I lie down and turn my head to the side, I press the buttons on the right ear cup of the iO-12. Also, the H95s are not pushed upwards by the pillow when I lie down, as is the case with the iO-12s due to their large design.
Even more than with the iO-12, where there is quite a lot of plastic and silicone, I really enjoy looking at, touching and putting on the H95s. The design is simply sexy, the ear cups are largely made of aluminum and the rest of leather. In addition to the enjoyment of music, there is also a pleasant feeling of value, especially with the H95s.

UX: In contrast to the sound, where differences are only noticeable through direct comparison, the operations is always present when using the headphones. And here B&O is simply unrivaled. I thought I was a fan of touch operation and automatic start-stop when taking off/putting on the headphones. But after several months of testing various headphones, I've realized that I always have to search for buttons, which takes longer to operate and the automatic start/stop function never really works that way. In my opinion, B&O has done everything right here: In every position, the sound can be changed quickly in smaller and larger steps using the rotary ring. The touch controls for start/stop, next/previous song are also really quick to use without having to search for buttons or operating errors. They always work. The iO-12 is definitely good too, as the buttons are large due to the assignment of the entire ear cup. But with the H95, everything is simply even quicker. And with around a hundred operations per day on the headphones, this is noticeable for me.

Price: With a bit of luck, you can currently get the H95 for half the price of the iO-12 (and the battery can possibly be replaced by yourself compared to the ML 5909). And there are fewer problems with a headband coming loose, as was often the case with the Px8 in addition to the ML 5909. But well, even the H95 are not spared from problems and there have already been a few warranty cases on the web, even if they never seemed that serious to me and so far everything has been solved by a very generous warranty handling by B&O.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts and exchange ideas with you. It makes our hobby twice as exciting and entertaining!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #75 of 1,169
UX: In contrast to the sound, where differences are only noticeable through direct comparison, the operations is always present when using the headphones. And here B&O is simply unrivaled. I thought I was a fan of touch operation and automatic start-stop when taking off/putting on the headphones. But after several months of testing various headphones, I've realized that I always have to search for buttons, which takes longer to operate and the automatic start/stop function never really works that way. In my opinion, B&O has done everything right here: In every position, the sound can be changed quickly in smaller and larger steps using the rotary ring. The touch controls for start/stop, next/previous song are also really quick to use without having to search for buttons or operating errors. They always work. The iO-12 is definitely good too, as the buttons are large due to the assignment of the entire ear cup. But with the H95, everything is simply even quicker. And with around a hundred operations per day on the headphones, this is noticeable for me.

Of the many, many BT/ANC headphones and earphones that I owning in my life, the H95 is definitely the best in the responsiveness of every playback operation. I'm a person that is changing tracks and volume ALL the time and the H95 always giving me quick and exact response. I really, really miss this aspect of the H95.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back