New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #76 of 1,210
I have to make a comparison between the Dali iO-12 and the B&O H95, as this has been on my mind recently and I don't want to buy two expensive Bluetooth headphones. First of all: I like the H95 a lot and I find it underrepresented in the thread so far and would like to counterbalance it with this post.

Sound: Yes, the sound is better with the Dali iO-12. A clear step forward, the music sounds more authentic, with a larger stage and clearer instrument separation. I wouldn't disagree with that, although I am a beginner and not experienced as many others here with hearing the difference in sound. However, the difference is especially audible when you hear the headphones in direct comparison. But that's the thing: if you listen to music normally, you never hear the headphones in direct comparison.
I also listen to a lot of electronic music, so the quality of the bass is very important to me and the sub-bass of the H95 is unrivaled so far, the treble is never really sharp. The ML 5909s were too stressful for me (I even got headache), where the treble was too sharp (comparable to the iO-12s, although the iO-12s aren't as exhausting), the H95s are perfectly balanced and don't distract from the song. However, the Dali iO-12s remain unrivaled in terms of soundstage. Nevertheless, the H95s always remain interesting thanks to the EQ option and are by no means bad headphones in terms of sound and are better than the majority of Bluetooth headphones such as the Bose QC, Sony MX series, AirPods Max and others.

Comfort/feel: Due to the lighter weight and better fit, the H95s give me a better grip on my head. I can bend down/look down with them on without them slipping off my head (unlike the iO-12). When I lie down and turn my head to the side, I press the buttons on the right ear cup of the iO-12. Also, the H95s are not pushed upwards by the pillow when I lie down, as is the case with the iO-12s due to their large design.
Even more than with the iO-12, where there is quite a lot of plastic and silicone, I really enjoy looking at, touching and putting on the H95s. The design is simply sexy, the ear cups are largely made of aluminum and the rest of leather. In addition to the enjoyment of music, there is also a pleasant feeling of value, especially with the H95s.

UX: In contrast to the sound, where differences are only noticeable through direct comparison, the operations is always present when using the headphones. And here B&O is simply unrivaled. I thought I was a fan of touch operation and automatic start-stop when taking off/putting on the headphones. But after several months of testing various headphones, I've realized that I always have to search for buttons, which takes longer to operate and the automatic start/stop function never really works that way. In my opinion, B&O has done everything right here: In every position, the sound can be changed quickly in smaller and larger steps using the rotary ring. The touch controls for start/stop, next/previous song are also really quick to use without having to search for buttons or operating errors. They always work. The iO-12 is definitely good too, as the buttons are large due to the assignment of the entire ear cup. But with the H95, everything is simply even quicker. And with around a hundred operations per day on the headphones, this is noticeable for me.

Price: With a bit of luck, you can currently get the H95 for half the price of the iO-12 (and the battery can possibly be replaced by yourself compared to the ML 5909). And there are fewer problems with a headband coming loose, as was often the case with the Px8 in addition to the ML 5909. But well, even the H95 are not spared from problems and there have already been a few warranty cases on the web, even if they never seemed that serious to me and so far everything has been solved by a very generous warranty handling by B&O.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts and exchange ideas with you. It makes our hobby twice as exciting and entertaining!
I did like the H95 and agree with most of your observations. I did prefer both PX8, ML5909 and Bathys over H95 if we only talk about sound quality, but overall build, comfort, looks, useability and features are great. The H95 demo I got had some serious flaw in the dials benig very lose and rattling, but I guess that is not the norm. I ended up keeping PX8 as their comfort and sound signature was most appealing to me. If you often feel that treble is too sharp these could be worth a listen.

Regarding IO-12, I did have a long listen and A-B comparison vs PX8 and yes Dali has done an excellent job here. If I were only going to use one headphone, only sitting at my desk and never use them mobile or travelling, these would be solid buy. But right now, as a wireless ANC can and for my use case these cannot measure up against PX8 which is simply more discreet and fit for use outside of home. Even Bathys, ML5909 or similar large ANC headphones would be less weird looking.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #79 of 1,210
Looks very promising. Especially the description of the mid-range which is described as electrostatic like.

I don't hearing anywhere in the (marketing) video that he describing the midrange "as electrostatic like". Can you saying where exactly in the video he's saying this?

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #81 of 1,210

There are a couple more references on YouTube

Again, NOTHING in that (marketing) video is saying anything about comparisons with eloctrstacic sound or headphones.

I know you really, really want saying the iO-12 midrange or whatever other aspect of the sound of the iO-12 is like electrostatic headphones, because of the excellent reputation of (wired always) electrostatic headphones. This will always being either a marketing comment (that I don't hearing anywhere yet!) or the opinion of one or some others people, usually very enthusiastic about the product they love very much. With the B&W PX8, for example, some people saying is sounding like speakers. If this is really true, then my opinion is that the px8 is sounding like not very good speakers, or not speakers that approaching a more neutral / reference sound.

ALL manufacturers, of even for cheap products, telling you that their product is incredible, innovative, (sometimes) revolutionary, unique, etc., etc.

ALL new earphones and headphones, and others audio equipment, will telling you "Now can finally listening to music like the artists intending", old, old clichés...and similar claims.

Is difficult doing something really different like the T+A Solitaire T. The Solitaire T isn't perfect product but many of the things they're claiming are actually true, and the tech they're using is actually really unique, like not others BT/ANC headphones. This isn't meaning everyone will loving the Solitaire T, Some people will preferring some very more px8, Bose or Sony headphones. Maybe like when people preferring a more cheap not so good dish than a good quality dish.

The iO-12, for example, is giving you a very different sound when you playing in passive mode (not like the Solitaire T). Many audiophiles are attracted to this claim because they want having the possibility of excellent BT sound AND excellent passive sound when necessary. The iO-12 is depending, like the majority of BT/ ANC headphones, on DSP for giving very good sound. In passive mode is not exactly mediocre but isn't so good at all, like the very good tonal balance you having in BT mode or wired mode with DSP happening.

The iO-12 is excellent sounding BT headphone, but ONLY when using DSP, and even in this case I, personally, think the Solitaire T is more correct from audiophile perspective.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #82 of 1,210
Again, NOTHING in that (marketing) video is saying anything about comparisons with eloctrstacic sound or headphones.

I know you really, really want saying the iO-12 midrange or whatever other aspect of the sound of the iO-12 is like electrostatic headphones, because of the excellent reputation of (wired always) electrostatic headphones. This will always being either a marketing comment (that I don't hearing anywhere yet!) or the opinion of one or some others people. With the B&W PX8, for example, some people saying is sounding like speakers. If this is really true, then my opinion is that the px8 is sounding like not very good speakers, or not speakers that approaching a more neural / reference sound.

ALL manufactures, of even for cheap products, telling you that their product is incredible, innovative, (sometimes) revolutionary, unique, etc., etc.

ALL new earphones and headphones, and others audio equipment, will telling you "Now can finally listening to music like the artists intending", old, old clichés...and similar claims.

Is difficult doing something really different like the T+A Solitaire T. The Solitaire T isn't perfect product but many of the things they're claiming are actually true, and the tech they're using is actually really unique, like not others BT/ANC headphones. This isn't meaning everyone will loving the Solitaire T, Some people will preferring some very more px8, Bose or Sony headphones. Maybe like they preferring a more cheap nor so good dish than a good quality dish.

The iO-12, for example, is giving you a very different sound when you playing in passive mode (not like the Solitaire T). Many audiophiles are attracted to this claim because they want having the possibility of excellent BT sound AND excellent passive sound when necessary. The iO-12 is depending, like the majority of headphones, on DSP for giving very good sound. In passive mode is not exactly mediocre but isn't so good at all, like the very good tonal balance you having in BT mode or wired mode with DSP happening.

The iO-12 is excellent sounding BT headphone, but ONLY when using DSP, and even in this case I, personally, think the Solitaire T is more correct from audiophile perspective.
Here are two examples I found. It’s in almost every review. It’s a claim they have made
IMG_4312.jpeg
IMG_4313.jpeg
multiple times.

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #83 of 1,210
Here are two examples I found. It’s in almost every review. It’s a claim they have madeIMG_4312.jpegIMG_4313.jpeg multiple times.

Stuff TV and Digital Trends...just the publications I need for telling me what really good sound is. VERY reputable sources when speaking about (good) audio.

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #84 of 1,210
Stuff TV and Digital Trends...just the publications I need for telling me what really good sound is. VERY reputable sources when speaking about (good) audio.
That’s not the point… Both of those articles say that Dali has claimed that these have electrostatic levels of clarity. That’s a fact

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #85 of 1,210

I know you really, really want saying the iO-12 midrange or whatever other aspect of the sound of the iO-12 is like electrostatic headphones, because of the excellent reputation of (wired always) electrostatic headphones. This will always being either a marketing comment (that I don't hearing anywhere yet!) or the opinion of one or some others people, usually very enthusiastic about the product they love very much. With the B&W PX8, for example, some people saying is sounding like speakers. If this is really true, then my opinion is that the px8 is sounding like not very good speakers, or not speakers that approaching a more neural / reference sound.

ALL manufacturers, of even for cheap products, telling you that their product is incredible, innovative, (sometimes) revolutionary, unique, etc., etc.

Is difficult doing something really different like the T+A Solitaire T. The Solitaire T isn't perfect product but many of the things they're claiming are actually true, and the tech they're using is actually really unique, like not others BT/ANC headphones. This isn't meaning everyone will loving the Solitaire T, Some people will preferring some very more px8, Bose or Sony headphones. Maybe like when people preferring a more cheap not so good dish than a good quality dish.

The iO-12, for example, is giving you a very different sound when you playing in passive mode (not like the Solitaire T). Many audiophiles are attracted to this claim because they want having the possibility of excellent BT sound AND excellent passive sound when necessary. The iO-12 is depending, like the majority of BT/ ANC headphones, on DSP for giving very good sound. In passive mode is not exactly mediocre but isn't so good at all, like the very good tonal balance you having in BT mode or wired mode with DSP happening.

1:24 “electrostatic affect”. You spent more time drafting an argument than you spent verifying the video. There a few other videos also. I’m not saying it’s true. I’m just expressing that I’m excited to see for myself.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #86 of 1,210

I know you really, really want saying the iO-12 midrange or whatever other aspect of the sound of the iO-12 is like electrostatic headphones, because of the excellent reputation of (wired always) electrostatic headphones. This will always being either a marketing comment (that I don't hearing anywhere yet!) or the opinion of one or some others people, usually very enthusiastic about the product they love very much. With the B&W PX8, for example, some people saying is sounding like speakers. If this is really true, then my opinion is that the px8 is sounding like not very good speakers, or not speakers that approaching a more neural / reference sound.

Man you are such a kill joy. Let those of us who are interested see for ourselves.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #87 of 1,210
1:24 “electrostatic affect”. You spent more time drafting an argument than you spent verifying the video. There a few other videos also. I’m not saying it’s true. I’m just expressing that I’m excited to see for myself.

You are correct and I'm sorry I missing that part.

BUT I maintain the ideas of my arguments. For example, Dali, like so many manufactures, making claims not true. They say the sound is the same in BT or passive mode and this is completely NOT true. And then the typical claims about how good the ANC is, etc., etc.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #88 of 1,210
You are correct and I'm sorry I missing that part.

BUT I maintain the ideas of my arguments. For example, Dali, like so many manufactures, making claims not true. They say the sound is the same in BT or passive mode and this is completely NOT true. And then the typical claims about how good the ANC is, etc., etc.
Well, yeah… I would love it if a company would be honest about what their product is and isn’t, but you know that’s not the name of the game when it comes to marketing everybody has to make the most hyperbolic claims

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #89 of 1,210
Man you are such a kill joy. Let those of us who are interested see for ourselves.

I'm excited like you and I paying for my pair and trying and now will losing money sending back. BUT I try always saying things like they are, when is opinion, I say is opinion. When is a fact, I say is a fact.

And this isn't about being a "killjoy". You see already, and you WILL seeing many articles, and people here too, saying the iO-12 is amazing, the best, etc.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #90 of 1,210
I'm excited like you and I paying for my pair and trying and now will losing money sending back. BUT I try always saying things like they are, when is opinion, I say is opinion. When is a fact, I say is a fact.

And this isn't about being a "killjoy". You see already, and you WILL seeing many articles, and people here too, saying the iO-12 is amazing, the best, etc.
Just teasing you 😉 You know us headphone fanatics are always looking for the next thing to be excited about. I know most of it is marketing hype but it’s still fun to hope that they are right. Every once in a while they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back