New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,040

Fabik

New Head-Fier
I recently received the Dali iO-12 and would like to share my experiences with you and look forward to a lively exchange about the headphones. I've already written about the headphones elsewhere, but I'd like to repeat my comments here (thanks @angelom for the tip).

My first impression with these gems: Bass like the B&O H95, but clarity and stage like ML5909 on Bluetooth HiFi mode. Best of both worlds! I'm very impressed actually.

The next day I tested the ANC without music while my girlfriend was driving on a German freeway (kind of a funny test, shout out to her!) with the windows up and radio on. I had the Bose QuietComfort, the ML 5909 and the Dali iO-12 with me and tested them side by side.

The clear winner was the Bose QuietComfort. It did the best job of blocking out the radio and almost all the noise from the road. In second place was the ML 5909, which was quite effective at blocking the lower frequenzies (e.g. road noise), but not as effective as the Bose at blocking radio noise. Last but not least was the Dali iO-12, which was surprisingly... well, ineffective or dare I say bad (?) for the price of 999 Euros. However, the ML 5909 and Bose had their problems with wind getting into the microphone and amplifying it a little in the headphones. Not the Dali iO-12, but maybe it has to do with the angel the wind hitting the integrated microphones.

That said, I don't think the Dali iO-12s are suitable for 'on the go' use. The headphones are quite large and don't sit as firmly on your head as the Bose, ML or B&O. And the extra case is huge, even bigger than the XM5's. And as I said, the ANC is good enough for home use, but I wouldn't personally take them on the train, plane, etc.

As for my personal user experience with the new Dali: I really like the voice feedback, but the little buttons on the side of the earcups still confuse me a bit. I keep pressing the wrong button. However, the large buttons on the flat side (where the Dali logo is lasered in) are really nice. I like the tactile feedback and the small increments to adjust the volume.

The Dali iO-12's transparency mode sounds quite realistic, but your own voices are still muffled. Still not at the level of the AirPods Max.

Having used the iO-12 for about 8 hours now, I have to say that the built-in bass EQ is quite nice, but it does muffle vocals a bit. I am not a hi-fi professional, and we certainly need more opinions on this, but I think you could say that the bass EQ bleeds well into the mids. This isn't bad when you're listening to electronic music without vocals, but I prefer the hi-fi EQ on most of the time. But it is still nice to be able to change the EQ quickly with just the click of a button... and maybe I feel that the mids have too much bass because the sound in hi-fi mode is sooo clear and sooo nice! The dynamics, the sound stage and clearity with fairly deep bass keeps me grabbing to the Dali rather to the ML 5909.

Any questions? Please let me know, I am more than happy to help.

Attachments

• IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7887.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 1,040
I recently received the Dali iO-12 and would like to share my experiences with you and look forward to a lively exchange about the headphones. I've already written about the headphones elsewhere, but I'd like to repeat my comments here (thanks @angelom for the tip).

My first impression with these gems: Bass like the B&O H95, but clarity and stage like ML5909 on Bluetooth HiFi mode. Best of both worlds! I'm very impressed actually.

The next day I tested the ANC without music while my girlfriend was driving on a German freeway (kind of a funny test, shout out to her!) with the windows up and radio on. I had the Bose QuietComfort, the ML 5909 and the Dali iO-12 with me and tested them side by side.

The clear winner was the Bose QuietComfort. It did the best job of blocking out the radio and almost all the noise from the road. In second place was the ML 5909, which was quite effective at blocking the lower frequenzies (e.g. road noise), but not as effective as the Bose at blocking radio noise. Last but not least was the Dali iO-12, which was surprisingly... well, ineffective or dare I say bad (?) for the price of 999 Euros. However, the ML 5909 and Bose had their problems with wind getting into the microphone and amplifying it a little in the headphones. Not the Dali iO-12, but maybe it has to do with the angel the wind hitting the integrated microphones.

That said, I don't think the Dali iO-12s are suitable for 'on the go' use. The headphones are quite large and don't sit as firmly on your head as the Bose, ML or B&O. And the extra case is huge, even bigger than the XM5's. And as I said, the ANC is good enough for home use, but I wouldn't personally take them on the train, plane, etc.

As for my personal user experience with the new Dali: I really like the voice feedback, but the little buttons on the side of the earcups still confuse me a bit. I keep pressing the wrong button. However, the large buttons on the flat side (where the Dali logo is lasered in) are really nice. I like the tactile feedback and the small increments to adjust the volume.

The Dali iO-12's transparency mode sounds quite realistic, but your own voices are still muffled. Still not at the level of the AirPods Max.

Having used the iO-12 for about 8 hours now, I have to say that the built-in bass EQ is quite nice, but it does muffle vocals a bit. I am not a hi-fi professional, and we certainly need more opinions on this, but I think you could say that the bass EQ bleeds well into the mids. This isn't bad when you're listening to electronic music without vocals, but I prefer the hi-fi EQ on most of the time. But it is still nice to be able to change the EQ quickly with just the click of a button... and maybe I feel that the mids have too much bass because the sound in hi-fi mode is sooo clear and sooo nice! The dynamics, the sound stage and clearity with fairly deep bass keeps me grabbing to the Dali rather to the ML 5909.

Any questions? Please let me know, I am more than happy to help.

Thank you for your first impressions Fabik and for starting this thread.

I will receiving my iO-12 next week (probably Wednesday or Thursday) and I will comparing with my favourite (ANC) headphone, the T+A Solitaire T (that I have for almost one year) and my second favourite, the ML 5909 that I still owning.

By the way, and maybe you don't know this, but is normal that all this very expensive ANC headphones (Solitaire T, iO-12, ML 5909, Bathys and H95) don't having so good ANC performance like Bose, Sony or Apple head/earphones. Even if Sony licensing some of the ANC tech for some of this companies, Sony isn't allowing the competition having the same top level of ANC.

In separate topic, a few days ago I writing this comments about differences between the Solitaire T (ST) and the iO-12 in the ST thread:

Some interesting differences between the ST and io12:

1. The ST is weighing 326g and the io12 is 370g and this is almost the same as the AirPods Max's 385g. (the 5909 is 340g, the Bathys is 350, the H95 is 323g and the Bose QC Ultra is 254g.)

2. The io12 isn't so great for travelling if we're speaking about size of the headphone and carrying case. The io12 isn't foldable either and is looking like having a big case.

3. In difference with the ST, the io12 earpads are made of real leather (and the headband too, by the way) and the earpads looking like they having a definite (very) more big size, so this is better for more ear shapes and sizes, not like the more small and more limited ST earpads size, but also this maybe a more big headphone than people wanting for a portability purpose.

4. Dali saying that passive mode, USB-C mode and wireless modes (BT-only or BT with ANC) having same sound, or same tonal balance. The ST in BT HQ mode offering a unique tech that I don't think is available in the io12. BUT, I'm very curious hearing all modes performance in the Dalis, the tonal balance in all this modes and the SMC tech they saying they're using here like in some of their very expensive speakers. The ST is offering passive balanced mode too and the io12 isn't.

5. The io12 offering aptX Adaptive, apart from normal aptX, aptX HD, AAC and SBC. The ST having the same codecs except for aptX Adaptive that maybe important for some people. Is interesting that the io12 isn't offering LDAC either, although the ST intending this in the beginning but later having licensing problems and never becoming a reality.

6. You having no app in the io12, so no firmware updates at all. This is brave action by Dali...or maybe not intelligent enough in today's world? The io12 offering only 2 sound modes via a physical button, hi-fi mode and bass mode (that apparently isn't so heavy in bass elevation).

7. The cables that Dali is including looking like having better quality than ST cables, maybe as good quality like the H95's cables.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 1,040
By the way, and maybe you don't know this, but is normal that all this very expensive ANC headphones
I have read that very good ANC trades with very good sound. And having tested the XM4, XM5, AirPods Max, B&O H95, Bose QC, Bose QC Ultra, ML 5909 and iO-12, I can agree. But I have to say that the best balance between sound, ANC and great comfort are the Bose QC.
The ST is weighing 326g and the io12 is 370g and this is almost the same as the AirPods Max's 385g. (the 5909 is 340g, the Bathys is 350, the H95 is 323g and the Bose QC Ultra is 254g.)
Despite being one of the heaviest, the iO-12s are very comfortable. Yes, the ear pads are large and it took me some time to get used to them, but for me it is not a deal breaker. My ears have enough room, which is the most important thing for me. With the AirPods Max I felt like I had a couple of weights on either side of my head and the XM5 pressed my ears flat to the point where I felt pressure.
The io12 isn't foldable either and is looking like having a big case.
I made a photo, maybe it is of interest.
In difference with the ST, the io12 earpads are made of real leather (and the headband too, by the way)
The headband at the top is made of real leather, but the part that comes into contact with your head is made of soft silicone. I'm not sure, but it must be more durable than cloth or fake PU leather, right?
The cables that Dali is including looking like having better quality than ST cables, maybe as good quality like the H95's cables.
The ML 5909's scope of delivery is very impressive, with many and smart looking adapters. But I have to agree with you on the H95 cables. A really long 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is included. Nice addition!

Attachments

• IMG_7889.jpg
    IMG_7889.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 1,040
I have read that very good ANC trades with very good sound. And having tested the XM4, XM5, AirPods Max, B&O H95, Bose QC, Bose QC Ultra, ML 5909 and iO-12, I can agree

Yes, this is generally true. In my experience with very expensive ANC headphones that are not Bose, Sony or Apple, for having (very) good ANC, is necessary having good passive isolation. In this aspect I think the ST is the best. I testing the ST during 4 flights with my AirPods Pro 2nd Gen earphones (that have little better ANC than the new expensive Bose QC Ultra headphones, by the way) and the ST doing excellent job, so good job that I deciding not using the AirPods Pro 2.

Despite being one of the heaviest, the iO-12s are very comfortable. Yes, the ear pads are large and it took me some time to get used to them, but for me it is not a deal breaker. My ears have enough room, which is the most important thing for me. With the AirPods Max I felt like I had a couple of weights on either side of my head and the XM5 pressed my ears flat to the point where I felt pressure.

The is very good news! I have problems with AirPods Max comfort and the earpads are causing irritation in my skin too very quickly. The XM5 I never trying, but the XM4 is becoming uncomfortable because one of my ears is touching the driver inside and becoming painful quickly. I have still the XM3 and this is very comfortable but the earpads making my ears VERY hot and starting sweating very soon (before buying the AirPods Pro 2, I using the XM3 only for hoovering).

I made a photo, maybe it is of interest.

Looking at the photo, WOW!, the case is extremely big!...more than I imagining. This case isn't definitely good for travelling. One very important aspect about ANC headphones is portability, so maybe this is a problem for some people.

The headband at the top is made of real leather, but the part that comes into contact with your head is made of soft silicone. I'm not sure, but it must be more durable than cloth or fake PU leather, right?

Is good the part that touching the head/hair is not leather so this can be cleaning more easily. But the outside being leather is nice for the quality and design of this product.

The ML 5909's scope of delivery is very impressive, with many and smart looking adapters. But I have to agree with you on the H95 cables. A really long 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is included. Nice addition!

Yes, in my previous post (that I also posting in ST thread) I forgetting about the EXCELLENT ML 5909 cables that are for me the best, even better than the H95's cables because the 5909 cables aren't so stiff.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 1,040
I testing the ST during 4 flights with my AirPods Pro 2nd Gen earphones (that have little better ANC than the new expensive Bose QC Ultra headphones, by the way) and the ST doing excellent job, so good job that I deciding not using the AirPods Pro 2.
I didn't expect the Solitaire T to be on a par or close with the Bose/AirPods Pro 2 in terms of ANC. Wow. Maybe I need to try them too. But I will wait for your verdict on the iO-12s first, as the STs come with a hefty price tag of €1,300.
The is very good news! I have problems with AirPods Max comfort and the earpads are causing irritation in my skin too very quickly. The XM5 I never trying, but the XM4 is becoming uncomfortable because one of my ears is touching the driver inside and becoming painful quickly.
We seem to be in the same boat. I had the same irritation with the AirPods Max. Same problem with the ears touching the drivers with the XM4/XM5. Sadly, I have the AirPods Pro 1. Gen and the silicone in my ears also causes irritation/sweat and they always slowly come out of my ear, so I'm not a fan of in-ear any more. In my case, it has to be an ANC headphone.

I've read that the ST doesn't have enough room for large ears. Can you confirm this? Sorry for going off topic here a bit. But I find it good to have some references to other brands in terms of comfort.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 1,040
I didn't expect the Solitaire T to be on a par or close with the Bose/AirPods Pro 2 in terms of ANC. Wow. Maybe I need to try them too. But I will wait for your verdict on the iO-12s first, as the STs come with a hefty price tag of €1,300.

The more important frequencies that needing blocking when travelling by airplane are low frequencies. The ST doing clear better job here than 5909 and H95 (I never flying with Bathys or PX8), and my big good surprise is that the AirPods Pro 2 (that having excellent ANC, better than 1st Gen) are very close in performance, at least for airplane travelling.

Sadly, I have the AirPods Pro 1. Gen and the silicone in my ears also causes irritation/sweat and they always slowly come out of my ear, so I'm not a fan of in-ear any more. In my case, it has to be an ANC headphone.

I have similar problem than you with IEMs, except my ears never sweating. The AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (APP2) are clear upgrade in several areas than 1st Gen. For me, personally, I don't have irritation of ears if I don't using the APP2 for more than 3 hours and NOT daily. If is daily, the maximum probably one hour a day. In my house I use the normal AirPods (3rd Gen) a lot every day (for podcasts and TV) and this I using them, if necessary, for many hours but they don't having isolation so my ears can breathing all the time, and often I forgetting they're in my ears!

I've read that the ST doesn't have enough room for large ears. Can you confirm this?

Yes, I can confirm this. This isn't a problem for me, but 2 or 3 others persons in the ST thread mentioning that they having this problem.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 1,040
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 1,040
Detailed review from Techradar: https://www.techradar.com/audio/headphones/wireless-headphones/dali-io-12-review

She enjoys the sound and finds the ANC to be more effective than the Focal Bathys and Bowers & Wilkins PX8.

Dali are brave (or not sufficiently intelligent maybe) about deciding having a tremendous big size of this headphone (look at the photo I attaching from the review!) AND of the carrying case. T+A with the Solitaire T doing exactly the opposite, a more small headphone with very more small earpads (not ideal for all ear sizes), a foldable headphone with very practical size of carrying case for travelling. The 2 companies making very different decisions about their products. The ML 5909 is probably in the middle of this 2 other headphones designs.

I'm very happy reading that the volume of the io-12 is with clicking and not swiping (volume control is extremely important for me because I'm changing this all the time). I only hoping that they giving more than the 16 steps typical of iPhones and MacBooks, more steps that Sony, B&W, AirPods Max (the best) and old Bose models offering (Bathys is absolutely terrible in this aspect, one of 3 reasons I returning!)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 14.41.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 14.41.48.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 1,040
I only hoping that they giving more than the 16 steps typical of iPhones
Each volume step equates to 3% change in volume (33 steps in total). As a result, the volume can be precisely set with the iO-12 which is very nice.

I can relate to the review very well. The bass button affects the mids too much, hence I don‘t use it as often the last 2 days. Also I find the button layout for the bass, on/off and ANC not very well placed and hard to distinguish. However, I think I‘m getting used to it over time.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 1,040
Each volume step equates to 3% change in volume (33 steps in total). As a result, the volume can be precisely set with the iO-12 which is very nice.

Is this specifically using an iPhone and/or a MacBook? I'm asking because with Android devices is different this volume aspect.

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 1,040
Is this specifically using an iPhone and/or a MacBook? I'm asking because with Android devices is different this volume aspect.
The 32 steps are for iPhone and MacBook. I have just tested it. I don't have an Android to make tests with it, I'm sorry.

By the way, since we don't have an app, it's nice to see that the headphones transmit an accurate battery reading to the iPhone and MacBook in 1% increments (instead of the 10% increments of the B&O H95 and other headphones). However, the announcement when putting on the headphones is based on 10% increments.

Also worth mentioning are the LED indicators for battery and Bluetooth. These are always on, which I don't like. Especially on night flights, the person sitting next to you or the row behind you will not be happy about the extra light, especially as the LEDs are very bright.

I also tested the sound quality wired. As far as my personal experience is concerned, I didn't notice any improvement in the sound (but I only use Spotify). With the Dragonfly Red these headphones get very very loud, but no improvements in dynamics, bass, mids, treble or stage at all. But even without Dragonfly, a volume of 30-50% is satisfying for me.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 1,040
The 32 steps are for iPhone and MacBook. I have just tested it. I don't have an Android to make tests with it, I'm sorry.

Thank you for this! Is excellent news. I have iPhone 15 Pro and 16” MBP.
I don’t have Android or Windows devices but I know each device’s volume steps is different.

By the way, since we don't have an app, it's nice to see that the headphones transmit an accurate battery reading to the iPhone and MacBook in 1% increments (instead of the 10% increments of the B&O H95 and other headphones)

This is good too.

Also worth mentioning are the LED indicators for battery and Bluetooth. These are always on, which I don't like. Especially on night flights, the person sitting next to you or the row behind you will not be happy about the extra light, especially as the LEDs are very bright.

This isn’t good at all. The ST have similar problem but is only one light.

I also tested the sound quality wired. As far as my personal experience is concerned, I didn't notice any improvement in the sound (but I only use Spotify).

This is excellent! This meaning, even if only using Spotify, that the tonal balance is the same or very, very close. I imagine you testing wired with the headphone off?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back