New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #46 of 1,169
NOT GOOD NEWS.

A complete shock after all the iO-12 marketing and posts and videos online: The io-12, in completely passive mode with 3.5mm cable, isn't sounding so good AT ALL. The sound is VERY anaemic. When using the 3.5mm cable and the headphone is switching on, the sound is very better, and is the same (or identical) like when is in BT mode but only with more volume. So, the io-12 is depending completely in DSP for good sound. This is NOT the case with the ST, a headphone that is first designing like a good close-back wired-only headphone and then the T+A engineers adding the unique BT (and ANC) aspect in this headphone.

The io-12 is COMPLETELY different to the ST in fully passive mode (headphone completely off), the ST with the option, even, of using in balanced mode where every ST owner or reviewer reporting better sound than in BT mode but still having very, very close tonal balance. I always saying in the ST thread that the ST, in fully passive mode vs BT "high quality" mode, are incredibly similar in sound quality, a very remarkable and unique aspect in the BT/ANC market, making the price of the ST maybe not so crazy like some people thinking.
Interesting…Dali was advertising how much the same the Dali iO 12 would sound in passive mode compared to the active mode.
Owning the ST I more and more appreciate the unique engineering by T+A. They took a very serious approach to create a one standalone music equipment. Hands down.

But still I like the way the industry is going and that there is more and more competition in this kind of price range (not that price matters, but I guess right now all the BT headphones in this range have a right to stay there, even when you thing that it is crazy to spent 1k for such an equipment…)

At the end the ST is the go to go BT headphone (even would say the perfect one) for me. Has great unique sound capabilities in all modes, great build quality, more than enough battery power and is labeled not as a one way product (battery is replaceable).
This is a headphone I will enjoy for many years or maybe even for a decade.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #48 of 1,169
Just bought them in Paris yesterday. 950 eur. Will compare it against my B&W Px8 and Audeze Maxwell. Will also check performance diff between wireless and wired...

But for now, here are my very first impressions, to be confirmed over time...

- Very comfortable earpads. Quite spacious inside. Nice leather.
- Great fit and finish. No creaky sound while adjusting or rotating headset (same as Px8)
- Overall exterior styling is obviously very subjective (mind you, so is the sound perception!) but IO-12 is just OK. Looks a bit bulky and plasticky if I'm honest. Definitely not on par with B&W's Px8 or Focal Bathys imho. And definitely not showing its asking price from an exterior design standpoint.
- Weight distribution feels OK but I have not had a very long session yet. So jury still out for ultimate endurance comfort outcome.
- Clamping force feels very comfortable. Not sure if that's strong enough to walk outside without having to secure it over and over again. But for home usage, it feels great.
- Controls feel easy to get used to (buttons are very small so there's a bit of searching at first, but the 3 buttons are located quite far from one another so I should be able to map out 3 buttons in my head!
- Great sound tuning (Hi-fi eq preferred over Bass) from the get go, with no burn-in. So not feeling too bad about lack of app (might turn out to be a plus in my books for simplicity sake)
- Vocals for male and female are great (clear, natural)
- Seems like soundstage is a bit wider than Px8 (mind you, I like the Px8's intimate soundstage so that might be a reason to keep both!)
- Great sound insulation without ANC on so I feel sound leakage will be very satisfactory.

Hope this is helpful.

Stay tuned for more. And let me know if you have any questions!

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #49 of 1,169
Just a note about the discussion about portability with these;
You can in fact use the much smaller IO6 pads on these, making them the exact same size as a pair of IO6's

Having a pair of both pads will make them a lot more versatile.

Edit: Personally tested and confirmed. Haven't have enough time with the IO6 pads to make a good note about the difference in sound.
Thanks, great info. Have you tried the IO12 pads on the IO6?

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #51 of 1,169
- Overall exterior styling is obviously very subjective (mind you, so is the sound perception!) but IO-12 is just OK. Looks a bit bulky and plasticky if I'm honest. Definitely not on par with B&W's Px8 or Focal Bathys imho. And definitely not showing its asking price from an exterior design standpoint.
Maybe not such a bad thing. I doubt I'd want to walk around outside with cans that noticeably cost £1k - would likely attract the wrong sort of attention...

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #54 of 1,169
NOT GOOD NEWS.

A complete shock after all the iO-12 marketing and posts and videos online: The io-12, in completely passive mode with 3.5mm cable, isn't sounding so good AT ALL. The sound is VERY anaemic. When using the 3.5mm cable and the headphone is switching on, the sound is very better, and is the same (or identical) like when is in BT mode but only with more volume.
Not to me at all. I find that in passive mode and switching on makes the sound very mufled and dull. In passive mode I get clear and detailed sound.
Now it may depend on the source and cable one uses.

I have Cayin N3pro DAP in Ultra linear mode (with tubes activated) and medium amplification, and a 3.5 mm audioquest Sydney cable from that to the Dali. The cable compared to a standard 3.5 mm cable does amplify the sound a bit and also give a more warmth and more clearer treble to me. When switching to the standard 3.5 mm cable that came with Dali, the sound is more anaemic, like you described. So the source and cable affects the sound a lot.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #55 of 1,169
Not to me at all. I find that in passive mode and switching on makes the sound very mufled and dull. In passive mode I get clear and detailed sound.
Now it may depend on the source and cable one uses.

I have Cayin N3pro DAP in Ultra linear mode (with tubes activated) and medium amplification, and a 3.5 mm audioquest Sydney cable from that to the Dali. The cable compared to a standard 3.5 mm cable does amplify the sound a bit and also give a more warmth and more clearer treble to me. When switching to the standard 3.5 mm cable that came with Dali, the sound is more anaemic, like you described. So the source and cable affects the sound a lot.

For me the passive performance is NOT acceptable, specially when Dali saying that sound/tonal balance is the same in all modes, This is obviously not true. Maybe you personally preferring the sound in passive mode, and maybe is because of your source and cable type AND your personal preference of sound quality. The fact is remaining that in ANC mode, or passive with headphone on, the sound is completely different (in not good way) from fully passive mode (headphone off).

Dali, by the way, insisting that the best sound is with using the USB-C cable, and one reason for this is that you need the headphone switching on so that the DSP is always active in this case too, independently of hi-res quality playback.

--------------------------------

ANC Performance

The ST have better passive isolation than the 12 (meaning with both headphones completely off).

The ST leaking less sound than the 12 so people around you can't hearing the music, or they can hearing a little more music with the 12.

ANC is better in the ST than the 12 with cabin noise from airplane (using speakers for my test with YT video)

ANC is little better in the ST than the 12 with loud cafe noise (using speakers for my test with YT video)

ANC with loud fan (in setting #4 that giving a lot of wind) is very similar, but with the 12 you can definitely hearing more wind noise, with the ST only very little.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #57 of 1,169
Hello,
how is the size of the earpads in comparison to the Focal Bathys? Can someone please measure the opening for the ears?
iO-12 earpads measurements (approximately): 6.5cm (long) x 5.0cm (wide) x 1.5cm (deep)

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #58 of 1,169
This is my third day with the io-12, and speaking strictly only about sound quality, I'm 97% sure the Solitaire T is my preference. The only thing I really like more about the 12 is volume control that is clearly better than the ST's, but obviously this isn't, for me, a strong good reason for keeping the 12 and selling my excellent ST. (volume control is sooo important for me)

BUT I will saying this with complete confidence: In BT mode and passive mode (with headphone on) I'm 100% sure that more people (I think maybe 70%?) preferring the more exciting and VERY good sound--with more big soundstage and more perception of details--of the 12 than the ST.

The ST, for me, is giving more faithful, more honest and accurate reproduction of what the recording is presenting, and is have a more analogue sound that feeling free of (digital) enhancements.

On Friday I making my final decision of keeping or (very possibly) returning the 12. If somebody maybe wanting buying the 12 from me, with 50 euros discount (that is including shipping only in Europe), maybe you want sending me a PM.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #59 of 1,169
Where did you purchase your IO-12 in Paris at that price ?
Generally speaking what is your main feeling about the sound, natural, punchy, relax, bassi...?
Bought it at Son-Vidéo.com HQ in Champigny-sur-Marne. Called them first to ask for a discount. And I'm a very good customer (many pairs of headphones, HT receiver, Dac's, many subwoofers, projector, etc.) so that discount was the minimum they could do. Usually I get 10% off or more. But this product just got released so I didn't bother pushing for more discount.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #60 of 1,169
Where did you purchase your IO-12 in Paris at that price ?
Generally speaking what is your main feeling about the sound, natural, punchy, relax, bassi...?
I would say clear and natural. Not clear as in lean or analytical... Rather well balanced. Px8 is more bassy, yet intimate soundstage. IO-12 is more open and natural. Only in hi-fi mode of course. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back