New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
May 23, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,156 of 1,210
Hi All.

Just found this thread using google, while searching for reviews. Sorry if I've resurrected it.

I've just purchased a pair of Dali io 12 headphones, to replace my wonderful PX8s. Why? Because of the headband issue. Second Pair I've had now brand new and both failed miserably. It's such a shame because I came from XM3s which the PX8s far outweigh in terms of sound quality. Needless to say I'm left very frustrated here with B&W for this monumental cock up of QC or Design/Manufacture.

So a simple Question.....

I listen to EDM, usually Subtronics, Datsik, Rezz, Above and Beyond...you get the idea.

I hope that I've not made a grave mistake on the Dali's. Please tell me that I haven't :triportsad: I'm hoping the Bass button will sort this for me. Will that be the case?

What I like about the PX8 is the punch from the Driver on bass focused tracks, I've not heard punch like it. Absolutely love the PX8 sound quality.

One very nervous buyer until they arrive Friday.

Thanks in advance.
I'm in the same boat. Mine will arrive tomorrow as well. Listen to similar bass heavy music... Very curious how I will like them without eq! If there is not enough bass I can always use viper4android...

May 24, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #1,158 of 1,210
Hi Again all.

Well....

My DALI IO-12 were delivered today from Peter Tyson, I have to say this and it's not a plug, if you want absolutely top notch service and advice then I would try Peter Tyson for purchased for Head-Fi/Hi-Fi. They have been bang on the money everytime I've purchased and asked advice before I've bought. Allowed me to send back Mark Levinson 5509s after I wasn't happy with how they sounded. Just spoken to them again about a DAC!

Anyway...onto the Dali's

I think at this moment in time, I'm "Almost" lost for words as to how good these Headphones are. I mean they are on another level completely to the B&W PX8, which as most know are already an amazing sounding headphone. I was a "true" PX* fanboy, loved those headphones with a passion, now though, that's changed!

I currenlty have Avicci Silhouettes playing, on the DALI's (particularly the start of the track) which has so much midrange that it has the hairs on my arms standing on end and shivers down my spine! Wow! I am so impressed by these which I thought wasn't possible coming from a PX8. I would say the bass profile is equally as good for EDM whilst in the house, and with ANC on listening via BT.

Usually I listen to Tidal with a USB C Cable from iPhone 15 pro to the PX8/DALI's. But I've noticed I'm not getting the same levels of volume and need to turn it up whilst listening in this way, which isn't Ideal. I guess this is where something like a Mojo DAC would come in handy. I started this Quest for real Hi RES music listening when I replaced my absolutely loved Sony XM3s, I really didn't understand just how good some headphones are until I put on these DALI's, warm, punchy and more than ample bass profile. As I said I listen to all sorts of music by I always go back to EDM and the Dali's do not dissapoint.

As a side note, I've now tried the Mark Levinson 5509 (for a few days) and now own PX8s and DALI's.
  • Mark Levinson 5509 - These were really unwhelming for such an expensive headphone, I didn't think that the bass and mid was anywhere near what they should be given the price point. Excellent build, warm and neutral sounding but lacked any excistment at all for me.
  • Bowers & Wilkins PX8 - I had these after returning the 5509s, and I personally think they are a better headphone as they are more well rounded. The mid and bass profile on these is super nice, for me the punchy and rumble bass notes is the best out of all three sets of headphones, but they do lack the clarity, separation and warmth that the Dali's have. Build Quality on these is insane, metal, leather, whats not to like, however - one massive caveat, the headband perishes after 3 months of daily wear, which is totally un-acceptable. These will be for sale (when I've got a new sealed pair in hand)!!
  • DALI IO-12 - My new love, when I un-boxed these earlier I was amazed by how nice they felt in hand and on ear, they're quite a bit larger than the PX8's and the ear cups are larger for sure. They are more comfotable than both the PX8 and 5509s. Currently have Cigarettes After Sex - "K" playing, if I close my eyes it's almost like they're playing for me, the clarity is astounding and the separation of intsruments is insane.
I guess to sum it up, I'm over the moon with these DALI's. I was going to buy the T+A L's but something told me to trust DALI's knowhow in Speakers (not that I have any lol!) and am I happy as ever that I did. Would recommend these to anyone.

Sitting here WFH and enjoying listening to my library in a completely new and amazing way! Can't wait for the few days to expire so they'll break in somewhat, if they get any better I might just explode with happiness :D

Hope the above helps someone looking for headphones on the upper end of the spectrum.

Cheers

G

May 24, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #1,160 of 1,210
No recognized analyst in the headphone world is ever going to review this model? Dali doesn't seem to send free samples to anyone... weird.
It took almost a year before some of the recognized headphone people started reviewing the 5909 so I’m not surprised this one is taking its sweet time to get around to certain people

May 24, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,161 of 1,210
It took almost a year before some of the recognized headphone people started reviewing the 5909 so I’m not surprised this one is taking its sweet time to get around to certain people

Actually 4 months after release ASR (Audio Science Review), a reputable online forum, doing a review of the ML 5909 that even including measurements.

And Darko, a very reputable reviewer, doing a VERY long podcast review (90 minutes approximately) of the ML 5909 after 7 months of release.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #1,162 of 1,210
Actually 4 months after release ASR (Audio Science Review), a reputable online forum, doing a review of the 5909 that even including measurements.

And Darko, a very reputable reviewer, doing a VERY long podcast review (90 minutes approximately) after 7 months of release.
I never did listen to the podcast review. I might go back and check it out. But the point is sometimes for these higher end headphones. It takes six months, eight months, or longer for everyone to finally get around to them for some reason.

I wonder if it has something to do with availability or if the more mainstream headphones just get more views and as such get reviewed quicker

May 24, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #1,163 of 1,210
Hi Again all.

Well....

My DALI IO-12 were delivered today from Peter Tyson, I have to say this and it's not a plug, if you want absolutely top notch service and advice then I would try Peter Tyson for purchased for Head-Fi/Hi-Fi. They have been bang on the money everytime I've purchased and asked advice before I've bought. Allowed me to send back Mark Levinson 5509s after I wasn't happy with how they sounded. Just spoken to them again about a DAC!

Anyway...onto the Dali's

I think at this moment in time, I'm "Almost" lost for words as to how good these Headphones are. I mean they are on another level completely to the B&W PX8, which as most know are already an amazing sounding headphone. I was a "true" PX* fanboy, loved those headphones with a passion, now though, that's changed!

I currenlty have Avicci Silhouettes playing, on the DALI's (particularly the start of the track) which has so much midrange that it has the hairs on my arms standing on end and shivers down my spine! Wow! I am so impressed by these which I thought wasn't possible coming from a PX8. I would say the bass profile is equally as good for EDM whilst in the house, and with ANC on listening via BT.

Usually I listen to Tidal with a USB C Cable from iPhone 15 pro to the PX8/DALI's. But I've noticed I'm not getting the same levels of volume and need to turn it up whilst listening in this way, which isn't Ideal. I guess this is where something like a Mojo DAC would come in handy. I started this Quest for real Hi RES music listening when I replaced my absolutely loved Sony XM3s, I really didn't understand just how good some headphones are until I put on these DALI's, warm, punchy and more than ample bass profile. As I said I listen to all sorts of music by I always go back to EDM and the Dali's do not dissapoint.

As a side note, I've now tried the Mark Levinson 5509 (for a few days) and now own PX8s and DALI's.
  • Mark Levinson 5509 - These were really unwhelming for such an expensive headphone, I didn't think that the bass and mid was anywhere near what they should be given the price point. Excellent build, warm and neutral sounding but lacked any excistment at all for me.
  • Bowers & Wilkins PX8 - I had these after returning the 5509s, and I personally think they are a better headphone as they are more well rounded. The mid and bass profile on these is super nice, for me the punchy and rumble bass notes is the best out of all three sets of headphones, but they do lack the clarity, separation and warmth that the Dali's have. Build Quality on these is insane, metal, leather, whats not to like, however - one massive caveat, the headband perishes after 3 months of daily wear, which is totally un-acceptable. These will be for sale (when I've got a new sealed pair in hand)!!
  • DALI IO-12 - My new love, when I un-boxed these earlier I was amazed by how nice they felt in hand and on ear, they're quite a bit larger than the PX8's and the ear cups are larger for sure. They are more comfotable than both the PX8 and 5509s. Currently have Cigarettes After Sex - "K" playing, if I close my eyes it's almost like they're playing for me, the clarity is astounding and the separation of intsruments is insane.
I guess to sum it up, I'm over the moon with these DALI's. I was going to buy the T+A L's but something told me to trust DALI's knowhow in Speakers (not that I have any lol!) and am I happy as ever that I did. Would recommend these to anyone.

Sitting here WFH and enjoying listening to my library in a completely new and amazing way! Can't wait for the few days to expire so they'll break in somewhat, if they get any better I might just explode with happiness :D

Hope the above helps someone looking for headphones on the upper end of the spectrum.

Cheers

G

Told you :p Reading these reviews just give me so much happiness cause this was me for a long time until I read @angelom's reviews. Bit the bullet solely on hearsay and still have yet to regret. I use these for work conferencing, daily music vibing and travel. It's been amazing.

@Gavin R the best sound quality will be plugged in USB-C with ANC off as well

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #1,164 of 1,210
Usually I listen to Tidal with a USB C Cable from iPhone 15 pro to the PX8/DALI's. But I've noticed I'm not getting the same levels of volume and need to turn it up whilst listening in this way, which isn't Ideal.
Glad you are loving your IO-12; they are great headphones. I am kind of surprised you are not getting ample volume from that setup. I have an iPhone 15 Pro and USB-C cables (using the ML 5909 cable), and in that set up there is plenty of volume. In fact, there is more volume via USB-C than BT. These are also much louder than the ML 5909.

May 25, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #1,165 of 1,210
I'm in the same boat. Mine will arrive tomorrow as well. Listen to similar bass heavy music... Very curious how I will like them without eq! If there is not enough bass I can always use viper4android...

How are the Dalis?

May 26, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,166 of 1,210
Told you :p Reading these reviews just give me so much happiness cause this was me for a long time until I read @angelom's reviews. Bit the bullet solely on hearsay and still have yet to regret. I use these for work conferencing, daily music vibing and travel. It's been amazing.

@Gavin R the best sound quality will be plugged in USB-C with ANC off as well
You Certainly did. They haven't left my ears, well only to sleep :relaxed:

Currently listening to Metallica, and I have to say that they sound so so good. Really really happy with them and feel kinda lucky/humble that I'm able to afford such lavish headphones.

I'm wondering if I would get more out of them if I wen't something like a Mojo DAC? Any suggestions?

One happy man at the moment.

Thanks

G

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,167 of 1,210
Glad you are loving your IO-12; they are great headphones. I am kind of surprised you are not getting ample volume from that setup. I have an iPhone 15 Pro and USB-C cables (using the ML 5909 cable), and in that set up there is plenty of volume. In fact, there is more volume via USB-C than BT. These are also much louder than the ML 5909.
I found the 5509's nowhere near the level of sound volume or quality as I do these DALI's. I mean with Metallica "Master of Puppets" album playing at the moment, through my PC though (using USB C), it's louder, using the same USB C to iPhone 15 Pro doesn't seem to provide as much. I just turn them up so it's not a problem really. They're sublime.

The 5509's I was totally underwhelmed. Perhaps it's just me and they are a good Headphone, felt the sound was just so neutral that there was little or no excitement at all from them.

Thanks

G

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #1,169 of 1,210
How are the Dalis?
Have quickly listened to them and I'm very impressed for a bluetooth headphone. They indeed are a step up from the PX8, way more open and airy sounding. Bass is very clean, but I'm a basshead so switched the bass toggle and damn what a mess.... Like someone applying EQ and doesn't have clue what he's doing. Super muddy. They should have looked at iFi's implementation! So I did some EQing myself on my android phone and that bass is even more wonderful now. Tomorrow I'm going to plug them in on my amp at home and compare them to the close backs I've in my collection. Also see how much low frequency EQ they can handle there. To be continued

May 29, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #1,170 of 1,210
OK, my main listening setup now is Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra + Tidal + USB C cable connection to io-12 (active mode, ANC off, Hifi mode) and I can't be happier :)

My question is: is it worth purchasing any expensive DAP not to use my smartphone? Especially when it comes to the bit perfect usb-c output from any kind of device. I assume there will be no difference in sound quality as the source device only sends zeros and ones to the IO-12 where internal DAC does its job, so it really doesn't matter whether I run Tidal on cheap Android device or on 2000 USD DAP?

Second question. If I purchase any DAP with superb analog 3.5mm output and will use it to feed my IO-12 with music, will this setup be as good as aforementioned USB-C bit perfect solution? In this case what is your experience using IO-12 in passive mode (DAP does all the job), or in active Io12-amplified mode (DAP does its job + IO-12 does its job >> doubled work??) ?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back