New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #931 of 1,040
saw a pair listed on eBay for $975 USD OBO. I got lucky and paid around that for new. Definitely can’t ever go back to what I had before.
And my brain may just be wired completely differently than other people which wouldn’t be the first time by the way lol but sometimes I like the narrow focused in front of you sound from the Px8’s for certain things, but the space of the Dali’s was incredible

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #932 of 1,040
The simple fact is that some people just want more bass. It is pleasing to some peoples ears.

Your comment is very obvious BUT is having nothing to do with my post above. If people like (very) bassy sound, great, because is their preference, BUT a more bass-heavy headphone isn't necessarily a good recommendation when the music is already bass-heavy, this is like giving double bass sound (maybe great for some people but maybe not so good for some OR many).

There are other people who prefer a neutral headphone and still others who want a bright headphone.

This is very obvious too, but nothing in connection with my post above.

Some people love that stuff there’s no right headphone tuning there’s what’s right for your ears.

That is a very generic and TOO obvious comment (about people's preferences in sound). I will not commenting more because obviously you're speaking about very different matters to what I speaking about in my post above.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #933 of 1,040
I also agree that if someone listens to bass heavy music then a bass-heavy headphone would probably not be a good match.

I think a headphone that adds a little bass can be good for some older music that is bass-challenged to begin with.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #934 of 1,040
I just received my IO-12 and I quit like it so far. However, I noticed that it doesn't automatically connect to my iPhone when I switch it on. Is this normal?
Another question: is there a difference in sound between wireless and wired connection?

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #935 of 1,040
I just received my IO-12 and I quit like it so far. However, I noticed that it doesn't automatically connect to my iPhone when I switch it on. Is this normal?

Your iO-12 will connecting automatically to the last (1or 2) device/s that you connecting with (in my case iPhone 15 Pro and MacBook Pro) if your device/s have BT On. Occasionally the iO-12 will only connecting to one device automatically (and not 2), and occasionally will not connecting to any device so I must manually doing this (going to BT setting in my iPhone and/or MBP).

If this is a persistent problem, delete the iO-12 from all your devices and also do a full reset of the iO-12 (instructions in the PDF user's manual)

Another question: is there a difference in sound between wireless and wired connection?

In BT, USB-C cable and 3.5mm cable modes the sound will be (almost) identical but ONLY if you have the headphones switched on. In fully passive mode (3.5mm cable with headphone off) the sound is very good but will having less bass, and few people preferring this apparently. You need a headphone amp in fully passive mode because the iO-12 is requiring more power, so also the volume will not be sufficient with some music straight from a mobile phone, and depending on the amp you're using, maybe you can having more bass too. Dali saying that you can obtaining the best sound when using the USB-C cable that, of course, is requiring having the headphone always on (no amp is necessary here).

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #936 of 1,040
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #937 of 1,040
PLEASE STOP "people on Head-Fi peer pressuring others to jump up to a $1,300 bluetooth headphone [iO-12] that is the best headphone ever"!!! https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dalis-soft-magnetic-composite-driver.972243/
Who is pressuring this guy? I don't care about what being said in the marketing. What matters is my ears and my ears tell me that IO-12 is the best sounding wireless headphones compared to others in the market. Whether it is worth the price or not is subjective to everyone

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #938 of 1,040
Who is pressuring this guy? I don't care about what being said in the marketing. What matters is my ears and my ears tell me that IO-12 is the best sounding wireless headphones compared to others in the market. Whether it is worth the price or not is subjective to everyone

I don't know who is pressuring this person (is a new member from 4 days ago). I follow the iO-12, Solitaire T, ML 5909, PX8, both Bathys threads, AirPods Max and the more recent Bose Quiet Comfort Ultra threads and, honestly, I seeing NO pressure for buying the Dali at all. I see sometimes people saying the Solitaire T and iO-12 are probably the best BUT no pressure ("you must buying one of this!")

Post # 4 in that thread is the one that is giving better advice, saying: try the headphone if possible, or choose a good returns policy, and/or pay attention to frequency response if you know how interpreting this.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #939 of 1,040
The person in that thread seems to be one of those people who believes that a wireless headphone can never be worth $1300. This person does also seem to believe that there is no use to buying expensive headphones as they are an inferior product to large expensive speakers and I just wanna know who hurt this guy lol

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #940 of 1,040
This person does also seem to believe that there is no use to buying expensive headphones as they are an inferior product to large expensive speakers and I just wanna know who hurt this guy lol

I really don't think that person is saying what you're interpreting of his/her post at all.

BUT the comment at the end of that post that saying "I am worried that people are being squeezed out of their money due to peer pressure or having to fit into a crowd to have the best headphone" is really very naive and just ignorant of the world of audio. BUT, like I saying in the past, that isn't meaning that we don't see A LOT of exaggeration and BS in head-fi, in others audio forums, in YouTube, and in many (online) audio publications.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #941 of 1,040
I'm blown away by the quality of sound I'm getting through Bluetooth. I noticed that the sound from iPhone is better than from a Macbook Pro although they use the same protocol and are both bluetooth 5.3. I don't know the reason why

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #942 of 1,040
I'm blown away by the quality of sound I'm getting through Bluetooth. I noticed that the sound from iPhone is better than from a Macbook Pro although they use the same protocol and are both bluetooth 5.3. I don't know the reason why
What model of iPhone vs MacBook?

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #945 of 1,040
So after more a/b comparison with the momentum 4 and almost a full work week of listening to the Dali, I’ve basically come to this. The Dalis sound fantastic, more open and more detailed plus a wider soundstage than the m4. Do they sound $1000 better? Like I said in my initial post…I definitely don’t think so. In fact the momentum puts up a fight. Build is clearly better on the Dali. But one thing that did get me was the amount of battery drain on the Dali as compared to the momentum. I know 30 hours is standard but to lose 20% in a day or whatever it was freaked me out, especially on a $1300 headphone with a non user replaceable battery. Maybe I’m just used to the 60 on the m4 but that did feel like a downgrade. All things considered, to me, they aren’t $1000 apart. Pretty sure I’m returning them. If they were 6 or 7 hundred it would be a different story. But for 1300 Im struggling to justify it.

Side note…unlike whatever that dude in the other forum said, no one forced me into buying the Dali. I legitimately thought I’d be keeping them for the foreseeable future. Dali is highly regarded, the reviews were tremendous and they are a one stop shop headphone so I wanted them to work for me and I thought the extra $1000 would have been justified. That doesn’t mean they aren’t incredible headphones though. They certainly are. Maybe I’ll wait to see if they come down in price I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back