New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #916 of 1,040
Interestingly, passive listening is probably the only use case I don't care really :) Wireless tech is very good nowadays.
You're right... wireless codecs have co.e a very long way. I personally hate wires, which is why every time I begin to invest in or look at the popular open backs I shy away as I'm reminded of that. That said....I like to have the option when running low or need to preserve battery.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #917 of 1,040
You're right... wireless codecs have co.e a very long way. I personally hate wires, which is why every time I begin to invest in or look at the popular open backs I shy away as I'm reminded of that. That said....I like to have the option when running low or need to preserve battery.
Sure, better have that option than not :)
Actually, that's where M4s battery performance shine. I did a test once: starting from Monday used them solely for work and private time, and only by Saturday midday they reached 5% mark. Incredible!

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #918 of 1,040
Sure, better have that option than not :)
Actually, that's where M4s battery performance shine. I did a test once: starting from Monday used them solely for work and private time, and only by Saturday midday they reached 5% mark. Incredible!
I’ve gone multiple flights / trips with a few weeks of work in between. They truly are remarkable. Sound on the Dali is just too good though. All day today I’m hearing new things in songs that I haven’t heard before. Or things that I have heard but they’re popping out more.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #919 of 1,040
I’ve gone multiple flights / trips with a few weeks of work in between. They truly are remarkable. Sound on the Dali is just too good though. All day today I’m hearing new things in songs that I haven’t heard before. Or things that I have heard but they’re popping out more.
I literally came out of 10+ years of headfi lurkdom just due to these headphones

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #920 of 1,040
Good news: The battery on the iO-12 is replaceable by yourself outside of the warranty. Within the warranty period, it is of course recommended to send the headphones in. At least that was the answer from the retailer HiFi-Klubben (great store!).
I’d love it if this is in fact true. Everything I’ve seen from Dali is that you’ll need to bring them to a Dali dealer if and when the time comes.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #922 of 1,040
Why so many people continue insisting that a bassy headphone is good/better for bassy music is, like I saying several times in head-fi in my 9 years as member, just wrong. A bassy headphone will making bass-heavy music even more bass-heavy sounding. A more neutral headphone will presenting a bassy track sounding bassy, like is the intention of the artist and/or recording engineer.

The song below is a perfect example of this -- with the iO-12 (in "hi-fi" setting + ANC Off) this track is sounding very bassy (bacause the original recording is have a bassy sound). If I listen to this track with the PX8 or my Sony XM3/XM4, this track is sounding really wrong for my ears. A (close to) neutral/reference sounding headphone, like the iO-12, will be very good with ALL genres.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #923 of 1,040
I read somewhere that the Questyle M15 was highly recommended for use with the Dali IO-12.

Great if this is correct otherwise any recommendations welcome bearing in mind I use an iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro for streaming Apple Music through headphones.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #924 of 1,040
Why so many people continue insisting that a bassy headphone is good/better for bassy music is, like I saying several times in head-fi in my 9 years as member, just wrong. A bassy headphone will making bass-heavy music even more bass-heavy sounding. A more neutral headphone will presenting a bassy track sounding bassy, like is the intention of the artist and/or recording engineer.

The song below is a perfect example of this -- with the iO-12 (in "hi-fi" setting + ANC Off) this track is sounding very bassy (bacause the original recording is have a bassy sound). If I listen to this track with the PX8 or my Sony XM3/XM4, this track is sounding really wrong for my ears. A (close to) neutral/reference sounding headphone, like the iO-12, will be very good with ALL genres.

Sounds coming in from all over the place listening to that!

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #925 of 1,040
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #926 of 1,040
Why so many people continue insisting that a bassy headphone is good/better for bassy music is, like I saying several times in head-fi in my 9 years as member, just wrong.
Yes, wrong, because usually that statement used in the context of bassy headphones being better for all music. It just happens such people prefer bassy genres over others :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #927 of 1,040

The simple fact is that some people just want more bass. It is pleasing to some peoples ears. There are other people who prefer a neutral headphone and still others who want a bright headphone. Some people love that stuff there’s no right headphone tuning there’s what’s right for your ears.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #928 of 1,040
The simple fact is that some people just want more bass. It is pleasing to some peoples ears. There are other people who prefer a neutral headphone and still others who want a bright headphone. Some people love that stuff there’s no right headphone tuning there’s what’s right for your ears.
You going to get back into the Dalis again some day?

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #929 of 1,040
You going to get back into the Dalis again some day?
First time I see them on a sale I think I’m going to pick them back up again. I didn’t lose that much money the first time around with them in the end and despite how ridiculous they are looking when you have them on they are super comfortable and it is an extremely pleasing sound for certain genres to me. Classical music, orchestral stuff, symphonic recordings are just absolutely gorgeous on them so yeah, I’ll get back.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #930 of 1,040
First time I see them on a sale I think I’m going to pick them back up again. I didn’t lose that much money the first time around with them in the end and despite how ridiculous they are looking when you have them on they are super comfortable and it is an extremely pleasing sound for certain genres to me. Classical music, orchestral stuff, symphonic recordings are just absolutely gorgeous on them so yeah, I’ll get back.
saw a pair listed on eBay for $975 USD OBO. I got lucky and paid around that for new. Definitely can’t ever go back to what I had before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back