New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #961 of 1,132
j1rXX8RR.jpeg
Join the club! I compared focal bathys, T+A solitaire T, and finally chose dali io-12, and I was very satisfied with the sound of io-12, which was healthier and more relaxed.

Finally, I returned the solitiareT, leaving the bathy for outdoor use, and dali for indoor use.

I'm not sure whether to equip dali with a dac for better passive mode effect. According to my research, portable dac devices will not make io12 better. Does anyone in this thread use passive mode? What device is used in passive mode??

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #962 of 1,132
What device is used in passive mode?
I compared the DALI iO-12 through 3.5 in passive mode and indeed, they have a more natural timbre sound with good amplification. It was a Burson Audio Conductor 3X Reference. The gain was set to 32 Ohm | 2.5W.
I prefer using DALI iO-12 any active connection. I believe that, SQ is better with an active connection USB.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #963 of 1,132
I compared the DALI iO-12 through 3.5 in passive mode and indeed, they have a more natural timbre sound with good amplification. It was a Burson Audio Conductor 3X Reference. The gain was set to 32 Ohm | 2.5W.
I prefer using DALI iO-12 any active connection. I believe that, SQ is better with an active connection USB.
Thank you. Your settings are very worthy of reference. I'm not sure whether I should invest extra money to buy dac for io12. My goal is to use io12 on the old walkman (I have a lot of cd, md, tape, but I don't use desktop cd device). If I use this scenario, I should buy desktop equipment.

In fact, wireless streaming also works quite well. I use the most devices or the USBC output of the iPhone 15. If I enhance this aspect, maybe I should buy a portable dac device (I don't confirm that these portable devices will be better than the built-in dac of io12. Dali claims that it The built-in dac has 300mv output).

I will refer to your device performance and settings ,take io12 to a nearby store to listen to the dac devices they sell. At present, I'm not sure that this is a cost-effective investment.

Thank you.

I don't speak English. I use translation software.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #965 of 1,132
Thank you. Your settings are very worthy of reference. I'm not sure whether I should invest extra money to buy dac for io12. My goal is to use io12 on the old walkman (I have a lot of cd, md, tape, but I don't use desktop cd device). If I use this scenario, I should buy desktop equipment.

In fact, wireless streaming also works quite well. I use the most devices or the USBC output of the iPhone 15. If I enhance this aspect, maybe I should buy a portable dac device (I don't confirm that these portable devices will be better than the built-in dac of io12. Dali claims that it The built-in dac has 300mv output).

I will refer to your device performance and settings ,take io12 to a nearby store to listen to the dac devices they sell. At present, I'm not sure that this is a cost-effective investment.

Thank you.

I don't speak English. I use translation software.
Beware that if iO-12 are connected via USB-C to your portable device, they will suck energy out of it until fully charged. I think that kind of connection was done with desktop/shelf devices in mind, where battery is not part of equation.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #967 of 1,132
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #969 of 1,132
Wow, this is the way I never thought of. I think the two dacs working together will superimpose the adverse effects. I will try your method.
It’s probably a bit redundant but if there’s a portable dac that has a particular flavor you like you could try and see how it sounds

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #970 of 1,132
New iO-12 review from Hungary: https://www.av-online.hu/fejhallgato/dali-io-12-aktiv-zajzaras-bluetooth-fejhallgato-teszt_4272

Two things:

1) The article is including measurements, but isn't specific if ANC is On or Off, and isn't specific about measurements with "bass" or "hi-fi" settings either.

2) The article is saying "The cushions with artificial leather upholstery are tight and elegant" -- this is wrong because the "cushions" (earpads) are, in fact, made with genuine leather.

***The English translation of the review is better using the Chrome browser (with Firefox the translation isn't very good and Safari isn't offering translation from Hungarian***

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #971 of 1,132
Report on my current progress. Using the Astell Kren ca1000 as a listening device in passive mode, the dali io 12 power is turned off to listen. Compared with the power on and Bluetooth mode, the passive mode sound field is slightly reduced, the high frequency and low frequency are no longer so prominent (without weakening), the intermediate frequency part becomes soft, and the overall clarity is reduced but more soft.

I agree with the results discussed earlier. Bluetooth mode and usbc mode are the best choices for dali io 12, while 3.5 passive mode cannot achieve the same quality, but I believe that some problems can be solved through eq, but I also don't like eq my headphones.
IMG_2299.jpeg

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #972 of 1,132
Report on my current progress. Using the Astell Kren ca1000 as a listening device in passive mode, the dali io 12 power is turned off to listen. Compared with the power on and Bluetooth mode, the passive mode sound field is slightly reduced, the high frequency and low frequency are no longer so prominent (without weakening), the intermediate frequency part becomes soft, and the overall clarity is reduced but more soft.

I agree with the results discussed earlier. Bluetooth mode and usbc mode are the best choices for dali io 12, while 3.5 passive mode cannot achieve the same quality, but I believe that some problems can be solved through eq, but I also don't like eq my headphones.

That review is saying exactly what I saying from the very beginning of this thread 5 months ago about the difference in sound quality between active and fully passive modes.

BUT, for me the more important thing is that, after 5 months with sufficient 'reviews' published, this is really this first 'review' that is more honest/correct about the real (immediately noticeable!) differences between full passive and active modes. This is one reason why (in the case of the iO-12, like so many others headphones) the majority of 'reviews', for me, are not good, are mediocre or are simply not very professional.

By the way, for me, in difference with that review (from Hungary), the USB-C mode and BT mode are practically identical. The writer, in my view, is wanting to believe that, because you're using a (USB-C) cable connection, the sound is even better. Not true for me, and in blind test I'm sure the majority of people will not knowing if is BT or USB-C mode.

(I like the photo that you posting!)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #973 of 1,132
That review is saying exactly what I saying from the very beginning of this thread 5 months ago about the difference in sound quality between active and fully passive modes.

BUT, for me the more important thing is that, after 5 months with sufficient 'reviews' published, this is really this first 'review' that is more honest/correct about the real (immediately noticeable!) differences between full passive and active modes. This is one reason why (in the case of the iO-12, like so many others headphones) the majority of 'reviews', for me, are not good, are mediocre or are simply not very professional.

By the way, for me, in difference with that review (from Hungary), the USB-C mode and BT mode are practically identical. The writer, in my view, is wanting to believe that, because you're using a (USB-C) cable connection, the sound is even better. Not true for me, and in blind test I'm sure the majority of people will not knowing if is BT or USB-C mode.

(I like the photo that you posting!)
I can distinguish my difference between Bluetooth and usbc mode, because the volume is always higher in usbc mode, but if I adjust the volume to the same level, they are not much different. It mainly shows that some high frequencies are brighter than Bluetooth mode under usbc, just a few.

Recently, I have been listening to the 3.5 wired mode to adapt my brain to this sound and then make a judgement. At present, I prefer usbc mode, but 3.5 wired mode is not without advantages, In some medium audio segment wired mode it is more durable and silky (but lose some clarity). However, it can be confirmed that in wired mode, io12 is not an opponent of solitaire T, nor is it an opponent of other wired devices such as hd650.

I'm glad you like my picture.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #974 of 1,132
However, it can be confirmed that in wired mode, io12 is not an opponent of solitaire T, nor is it an opponent of other wired devices such as hd650.

In fully passive mode the Solitaire T is generally better that the iO-12's fully passive mode, in my opinion, and is more similar to the other Solitaire T modes (BT and and USB-C modes) -- this is one great aspect of the Solitaire T. BUT I think that in BT and USB-C modes, the iO-12 is giving a little (but clearly noticeable) better sound quality, SPECIALLY noticeable when using well-recorded music, music that you can finding a lot more commonly in classical, jazz and in 1970s and 1980s rock and pop (western music) albums.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #975 of 1,132
The Hungarian review reveals what I hear when I listen to these headphones in the store, and there’s a big bump in the mid-bass frequency that sometimes is too much. It reminds me a lot of the Meze 99 Classics in this regard. I only listened for several minutes connected via BT to my phone, so I can’t say too much, but like the Meze 99 Classics, if you listen to the Dali IO-12 with a baseball cap or something similar, you can slightly reduce the seal and make the headphones less boomy and more natural. Let me know if you try this and the results,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back