New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #991 of 1,063
that’s not good press for the Dali…especially for those of us in the US where there’s a $600 difference between the focal and the Dali. I personally wouldn’t buy the focal due to its lack of passive listening. Dali also has an ip rating. But, as always with the Dali, it goes back to the ridiculous price. Speaking for the US cost of $1300…it’s hard to justify.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #992 of 1,063
All these commentators' articles ignore the description of the appearance! Today, I went out with bathys and accidentally fell down. I'm fine, but the sharp head beam of bathys cut a wound on my neck! As an outdoor headset, there is no reason to have such a sharp corner anyway! I didn't talk about it in the thread of bathys, and the fans there may not care about it at all. But I think headphones are very objective, and sound quality is the first priority. However, as outdoor headphones, safety is more important than sound quality! Although I still like bathys, I'm also worried about getting hurt again!
Maybe switch to IEMs for outdoor use, that's what I ended up doing

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #993 of 1,063
that’s not good press for the Dali…especially for those of us in the US where there’s a $600 difference between the focal and the Dali. I personally wouldn’t buy the focal due to its lack of passive listening. Dali also has an ip rating. But, as always with the Dali, it goes back to the ridiculous price. Speaking for the US cost of $1300…it’s hard to justify.

1066$ USD if you buy it in Euros abroad.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #994 of 1,063

Just listened to this with the Dalis via FLAC source. Outstanding.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #996 of 1,063
Everybody is have a different tolerance with earpads when speaking about heat and possibly sweat. I'm a person that always having BIG problems with NOT real leather earpads (except with the Solitaire T), and always my ears are getting very hot and often starting sweating after 10-30 mins maximum if is artificial leather even with more low temperatures of 17-18 degrees celsius.

Yesterday I using my iO-12 in temperature of 26.5 celsius and the Dalis passing the test very well like others headphones with genuine leather earpads I using in the past (usually the limit for me is about 26 degrees with genuine leather). My small worry is that because the earpads are more big than average, maybe I have a problem when the temperature is more high. No, I using for 1.5 hours yesterday and my ears getting warm (not hot), yes, but never uncomfortable or starting sweating or becoming problematic, very similar like my tolerance with others headphones with genuine leather.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #997 of 1,063
Everybody is have a different tolerance with earpads when speaking about heat and possibly sweat. I'm a person that always having BIG problems with NOT real leather earpads (except with the Solitaire T), and always my ears are getting very hot and often starting sweating after 10-30 mins maximum if is artificial leather even with more low temperatures of 17-18 degrees celsius.

Yesterday I using my iO-12 in temperature of 26.5 celsius and the Dalis passing the test very well like others headphones with genuine leather earpads I using in the past (usually the limit for me is about 26 degrees with genuine leather). My small worry is that because the earpads are more big than average, maybe I have a problem when the temperature is more high. No, I using for 1.5 hours yesterday and my ears getting warm (not hot), eyes, but never sweating or becoming problematic, very similar like my tolerance with others headphones with genuine leather.
What’s the hottest it usually gets in your country during the summer? Genuinely curious.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #998 of 1,063
Superb reproduction by the iO-12 (the Solitaire T isn't so excellent here), giving a very close to accurate sound here of a true masterpiece by Bach. The performance and technical ability of this performer are of a different quality TOP level.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #999 of 1,063
Saying (DALI) that the IO-12 is the best closed back Headphone on the market, closed to perfection, comparing to the competition using cheap drivers, is without counting on the DCA E3 (more expansive) which is very very fare ahead, but when the Dali's video was recorded the E3 was not released...and it seems DALI did not really also take into consideration the Solitaire T as well...which was already released, before the IO-12...

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,000 of 1,063
Saying (DALI) that the IO-12 is the best closed back Headphone on the market, closed to perfection, comparing to the competition using cheap drivers, is without counting on the DCA E3 (more expansive) which is very very fare ahead, but when the Dali's video was recorded the E3 was not released...and it seems DALI did not really also take into consideration the Solitaire T as well...which was already released, before the IO-12...
Why would any company market their product ever based on this comment? 🫣 DCA is also not Bluetooth.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,002 of 1,063
I really think that the Dali IO-12 is the best Bluetooth ANC headphone on the market. But let’s be honest, it comes with a lot of handicaps, which makes the IO-12 mediocre decent at best compared to the E3, the Liric 2, or other flagship wired closed-back headphones.

However, in its category, these cans are top-class.

I think that it’s important to note for any consumer that with the Dali IO-12, you are purchasing a top ANC headphone, but not necessarily a top closed-back headphone… at least, in my opinion.

EDIT: I made an edit to my previous text to change the word ‘mediocre’, which contains a negative connotation, to the word ‘decent’, which is more suitable for this situation

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #1,003 of 1,063
I really think that the Dali IO-12 is the best Bluetooth ANC headphone on the market. But let’s be honest, it comes with a lot of handicaps, which makes the IO-12 mediocre decent at best compared to the E3, the Liric 2, or other flagship wired closed-back headphones.

However, in its category, these cans are top-class.

I think that it’s important to note for any consumer that with the Dali IO-12, you are purchasing a top ANC headphone, but not necessarily a top closed-back headphone… at least, in my opinion.

EDIT: I made an edit to my previous text to change the word ‘mediocre’, which contains a negative connotation, to the word ‘decent’, which is more suitable for this situation

I don't understand the necessity for comparing a 1000 EUR ANC headphone with a 2500 EUR wired-ONLY headphone and another 2000 EUR wired-ONLY headphone.

The iO-12 is offering BOTH wired AND wireless modes AND USB-C mode too -- and is also offering ANC and transparency mode...and the iO-12 is more portable.

About the sound quality differences between all this 3 models, changing your initial comment from "mediocre" to "decent" is still very, very, VERY subjective. I'm 100% sure that in a real blind test some people (or many?) maybe preferring the iO-12 maybe simply because is have a better tonal balance in their opinion.

With today's modern BT/ANC headphones, and the better advancement in BT codecs, many people still exaggerating A LOT about the VERY better sound of wired headphones. My iO-12, in my opinion, is offering an excellent competition in sound quality to the excellent --OPEN back!-- Sennheiser HD800...and in several ways I prefer the sound of the iO-12.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #1,004 of 1,063
I don't understand the necessity for comparing a 1000 EUR ANC headphone with a 2500 EUR wired-ONLY headphone and another 2000 EUR wired-ONLY headphone.

The iO-12 is offering BOTH wired AND wireless modes AND USB-C mode too -- and is also offering ANC and transparency mode...and the iO-12 is more portable.

About the sound quality differences between all this 3 models, changing your initial comment from "mediocre" to "decent" is still very, very, VERY subjective. I'm 100% sure that in a real blind test some people (or many?) maybe preferring the iO-12 maybe simply because is have a better tonal balance in their opinion.

With today's modern BT/ANC headphones, and the better advancement in BT codecs, many people still exaggerating A LOT about the VERY better sound of wired headphones. My iO-12, in my opinion, is offering an excellent competition in sound quality to the excellent --OPEN back!-- Sennheiser HD800...and in several ways I prefer the sound of the iO-12.
This is one of the few opinions I think we share ha, but advances in codecs and DSP technology will push these BT/ANC headphones closer and closer to the performance of regular wired sets. With each passing generation the gap gets smaller and smaller.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #1,005 of 1,063
When comparing headphones, make sure that all headphones are in the best condition. The best state for io12 is Bluetooth and usbc, where it compares wired headphones such as hd800. The best state for solitaire T is to balance wired mode. If these headphones are compared in wired passive mode, it may not be the most fair. It's like you won't use the sound quality of hd800 plugged into your mobile phone as a reference for comparison.

In addition, it is not recommended to compare the equipment together because the price is similar. These new technology headphones are at the top of the industry and have many premiums. Unlike traditional wired headphones with relatively reasonable prices, the price is usually "mean something"

At present, the price of these new headphones is too high, not the level of "must have", but it must be "best for now". The price will definitely become lower over time. In the future, when the price may be like bathys, I will recommend everyone to buy it. In addition, these new headphones are not "final one". They are on the way of continuous research and development to bring themselves closer to "final one". There is a long way to go. I believe this is a new direction for the development of hifi equipment.If you also recognise this development direction, you might as well support these "on the way" products,Except for losing some money, I believe you won't have any regrets about using them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back