New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
May 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #256 of 1,401
Hmm I really want to get a pair of the SD2 demo units from MP4Audio to see how they are compared to my SM64.
Well, now my money just needs to stop hiding from me.

May 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #258 of 1,401
Quote:
Hmm I really want to get a pair of the SD2 demo units from MP4Audio to see how they are compared to my SM64.
Well, now my money just needs to stop hiding from me.

I think you can refer to my UE900 comparison. In short: If you are happy with the tonality of SM64/UE900/W4, you will probably look at the SD-2 as a downgrade. What the SD does well is to create a really convincing soundstage without creating any strong characteristics.

I spent some more time with the SD-3, which I think is a definitive upgrade over UE900 without regards to tonality. But in the end, doesn't tonality matter most? :wink:

May 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #259 of 1,401
Depends on your preferred tonality...
Quote:

I think you can refer to my UE900 comparison. In short: If you are happy with the tonality of SM64/UE900/W4, you will probably look at the SD-2 as a downgrade. What the SD does well is to create a really convincing soundstage without creating any strong characteristics.

I spent some more time with the SD-3, which I think is a definitive upgrade over UE900 without regards to tonality. But in the end, doesn't tonality matter most? :wink:

May 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #260 of 1,401
Quote:
They arrived at my office. Got them straight from Marco at inear. Will be able to listen to them tomorrow as I am on a business trip. If they sound like 334 with tighter bass...I am sold
smily_headphones1.gif

Great! Will be waiting for your review.

May 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #261 of 1,401
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm... I doubt it — the K3003 sounds awful, but I do think it looks ever so slightly nicer than the SD-2 / SD-3

Not to me.  I much prefer the organic custom style look; to my mind it suggests greater comfort.  Also, every time I look at the AKG I think: "$1000+ and the cord isn't detachable.... really?"

Well, that's why I said, "I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and cheering from the sidelines so that the K3003s at least manage to do reasonably well on the design / aesthetics, packaging and carrying case categories." Having a detachable cable or not is not usually an aspect taken into account when judging the design / aesthetics of an IEM, but if it was, a detachable cable is often seen as 'interfering' with the actual design / aesthetics of an IEM.

Unlike what we see with many products when advertising is involved, the K3003 actually looks better in the flesh than it does in the photo I posted, but seeing the response by two members in this thread already, my guess is the K3003 will only win in the packaging category... though I must admit I'm now having serious doubts about that. Perhaps the K3003 will win in "the worst in every single category" category.

May 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #262 of 1,401
Hey guys,

Just put the StageDiver 3 in my ears. I was quite impressed before even putting them in my ears. The build is great, almost on par with the Togo 334. The cable is awesome, beautiful, solid looking and very ergonomic. The VERY IMPRESSIVE feature to me is the fit. They fit in my ears like customs, almost instantly. so great comfort and isolation.

Soundwise, I have just listened to a few songs on my AK100 stage 2 mod russian firmware (this is getting complicated). I was listening to 1plus2 before and they are quite different. From what I hear, mids are slightly thicker than 1Plus2, but not as much as 334, nice envelopping soundstage, very 3D sound. Clearly V shaped sound, with strong visceral bass, more bass than on 1Plus2. The bass does not seem to be ultra tight, but very pleasant and visceral, still tighter than on 334. Nice level of detail.

Do not ask detailed comparisons on 334, I do not have them anymore (loan), so it is from memory.

This is very very preliminary as I listened to 5 songs...I will post pics and give more impressions later, but so far very happy !

May 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #263 of 1,401
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just put the StageDiver 3 in my ears. I was quite impressed before even putting them in my ears. The build is great, almost on par with the Togo 334. The cable is awesome, beautiful, solid looking and very ergonomic. The VERY IMPRESSIVE feature to me is the fit. They fit in my ears like customs, almost instantly. so great comfort and isolation.

Soundwise, I have just listened to a few songs on my AK100 stage 2 mod russian firmware (this is getting complicated). I was listening to 1plus2 before and they are quite different. From what I hear, mids are slightly thicker than 1Plus2, but not as much as 334, nice envelopping soundstage, very 3D sound. Clearly V shaped sound, with strong visceral bass, more bass than on 1Plus2. The bass does not seem to be ultra tight, but very pleasant and visceral, still tighter than on 334. Nice level of detail.

Do not ask detailed comparisons on 334, I do not have them anymore (loan), so it is from memory.

This is very very preliminary as I listened to 5 songs...I will post pics and give more impressions later, but so far very happy !

Considering the price of these little black diamonds, I think they are kinda winner. Looking forward to hear your future impressions Mimouille.

May 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #264 of 1,401
I don't own either Tralucent nor FitEar IEM's and I never planned to spend that much on universals. I grabbed the StageDiver 3 at 429 € which is just slightly above UE900 or what I paid for W4.

I finished my review on SD-3 in the other thread. I might edit it if my perception changes.
I am hoping somebody somebody will do a SD-2 vs SE535 comparison. Next, I will do SD-3 vs IE800 and then SD-2 vs RE-400. After that, I will take a break. I'm done with hunting IEMs for a while and I want to get back to fullsize headphones. :)

May 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #265 of 1,401
Quote:
Hey guys,

I was just catching up on the SE5 thread.  I see you have both and I'm very curious how the Stagediver 3 stacks up against a top tier custom.  Any impressions?

Also, what accessories does the SD3 come with?  Is it a standard Pelican or Otter box?

May 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #267 of 1,401
Quote:

I was just catching up on the SE5 thread.  I see you have both and I'm very curious how the Stagediver 3 stacks up against a top tier custom.  Any impressions?

Also, what accessories does the SD3 come with?  Is it a standard Pelican or Otter box?

It is MUCH too early to say. Signatures are close, SD3 is significantly bassier, but SE5 goes has more sub bass rumble (but then again, SE5 has more sub bass rumble than 100 angry rhinos). I would say SE is ahead technically, but maybe it is my wallet talking as I have just listened to the SD3 for 1 hour...

It comes in a great package with Pelican and accessories, I will post pics later.

May 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #268 of 1,401
Can you also post some impression with TP? I just want to know if its acting weird. SD3 Impedance is just right on the border for TP..

It is MUCH too early to say. Signatures are close, SD3 is significantly bassier, but SE5 goes has more sub bass rumble (but then again, SE5 has more sub bass rumble than 100 angry rhinos). I would say SE is ahead technically, but maybe it is my wallet talking as I have just listened to the SD3 for 1 hour...

It comes in a great package with Pelican and accessories, I will post pics later.

May 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #269 of 1,401
Quote:

The SD3 against a stunning custom? I will be happy of any good points against that 5 driver monster. Stuff the comparison, money well spent with the SD3 with early impressions?

May 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #270 of 1,401
Quote:
Can you also post some impression with TP? I just want to know if its acting weird. SD3 Impedance is just right on the border for TP..

Well at 40 ohms, with the 8 rules, should be well bellow. I have the TP at home, and I indeed intend to try tonight and let you know.
Quote:

The SD3 against a stunning custom? I will be happy of any good points against that 5 driver monster. Stuff the comparison, money well spent with the SD3 with early impressions?

To my mind, at this price (I paid 490 USD + shipping), with such build quality, such great fit and great sound out of the box, it is a great deal. However, these are colored iems, on the bassy side of the things, but I would say that they are tolerably bassy with the AK100 modded. As a reference, I consider the IE800 as too bassy, so these have slightly less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back