New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Aug 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,426 of 4,065
Great to hear the H8P sounds so good with hip hop, tupac (thanks for you ongoing impressions.. keep 'em coming).. I'm a big hip hop fan (a lot of indie & instrumental stuff.. and more progressive stuff as well).. so this bodes well for my H8P that's being engineered by Piotr.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,427 of 4,065
  Great to hear the H8P sounds so good with hip hop, tupac (thanks for you ongoing impressions.. keep 'em coming).. I'm a big hip hop fan (a lot of indie & instrumental stuff.. and more progressive stuff as well).. so this bodes well for my H8P that's being engineered by Piotr.

I tell you why it's good for hip hop. :)

First of the bass is just...DEE BEST (yes it became my favorite now) bass I have ever heard from a CIEM for my taste. It has everything you can ask for: depth, extension, impact, control, sustain, decay, texture and capacity. And the bottom line is the presence is only a little more than "neutral". What else do you want for hip hop or any other genres? lol

Hip hop songs are always mixed with big and forward vocals, so combing with laid back upper-mid of H8P, they doesn't sound recessed at all. Bear in mind, you don't really need as much emotions for hip hop vocals like singing vocals.H8P has a small lift at 8-10k Hz which adds just the right amount of clarity and aggressiveness into the vocals without being sibilant. Because H8P has natural kind of treble extension (not super extended), it helps with the bad mixing of hip hop, specially for the old school ones. The clear, clean tone of H8P helps to resolve the old school hip hop songs very well. Because I only listen to the hip hop from start of golden era to late 1990s. I don't listen to any of the modern BS nowadays. So H8P is superb for them.

If you are a fan of say Lil wayne, 50 cent, Drake or new Eminem, you might be in trouble with H8P because you will definitely hear some sibilance with that overly compressed vocals.

I really admire how peter wants to do with H8P. Although it's not a neutral sounding CIEM, he really does combine the clarity, spaciousness, musicality and fullness very very well in this product. Maybe he did it accidentally :p, but I really start to prefer it over my SE5 now.

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,428 of 4,065
  I really admire how peter wants to do with H8P. Although it's not a neutral sounding CIEM, he really does combine the clarity, spaciousness, musicality and fullness very very well in this product. Maybe he did it accidentally :p, but I really start to prefer it over my SE5 now.

Haha, thank you for your opinion/impressions once again. I really appreciate it, I really do!

The sound is no accident :wink: however there was some lucky coincidences that had an impact on final design.

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,430 of 4,065
Tupac you are tempting me hardcore to order the H8P...why did you order it over the H8?

Initially I just did because you know how much I love treble extension (specially when you have SE5 on your hands). After I heard H8P, I was more than glad that I did change the order, because it's still not as extended as SE5. However the concept of this design isn't all about treble extension, it's about combining clarity with natural treble roll off. 

lol you see when it comes to roxanne (with clarity then large treble roll off, similar concept), I **** on it hard. But with H8P, it's a completely different story now :p. Because the portion of warmth, airiness, clarity/sparkle and details are just right. With said that, H8P still has much better extension than roxanne. And the vocals are much smoother, more musical without that iron/cold/harsh feel in roxanne. I don't know about the frequency chart of H8P, but I think the small lift in the treble is somewhere around 10-11 k Hz, while roxanne has a much bigger lift at 9-10 k Hz.

Two things you can't deny about H8P. 
1. It's technical ability.
2. Goes with the first one, the bass! bass bass bass!!

Two things you can't deny about roxanne either.
2. It's too colored, only designed for a very narrow of music genres (which obviously I don't listen)

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #1,431 of 4,065
  Initially I just did because you know how much I love treble extension (specially when you have SE5 on your hands). After I heard H8P, I was more than glad that I did change the order, because it's still not as extended as SE5. However the concept of this design isn't all about treble extension, it's about combining clarity with natural treble roll off. 

lol you see when it comes to roxanne (with clarity then large treble roll off, similar concept), I **** on it hard. But with H8P, it's a completely different story now :p. Because the portion of warmth, airiness, clarity/sparkle and details are just right. With said that, H8P still has much better extension than roxanne. And the vocals are much smoother, more musical without that iron/cold/harsh feel in roxanne. I don't know about the frequency chart of H8P, but I think the small lift in the treble is somewhere around 10-11 k Hz, while roxanne has a much bigger lift at 9-10 k Hz.

Two things you can't deny about H8P. 
2. Goes with the first one, the bass! bass bass bass!!

i actually do feel the same about the H8 non pro. 

i listened to the Roxanne for about 20min, and the words you use pinpoint it....iron/cold/harsh.....

I'm unfortunately unable to do a extended review of my h8, but let me put it like this: i don't need anything else anymore. Bass is tremendous, i'm always surprised when it goes deeper than i expected without overleaping on anything else and still letting the voices shine like nothing i've heard before. 
I'll try it out with a hybrid cable in a couple of days to see if it changes something, but it's a funny feeling to go to the sales section and to skip it in 2min because of lack of interest haha

Go for it Mimouille
(it's a bit like a fresh oyster you eat at the seaside along with your glass of fresh Chablis....exceptionnel) 

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #1,432 of 4,065
  i actually do feel the same about the H8 non pro. 

i listened to the Roxanne for about 20min, and the words you use pinpoint it....iron/cold/harsh.....

I'm unfortunately unable to do a extended review of my h8, but let me put it like this: i don't need anything else anymore. Bass is tremendous, i'm always surprised when it goes deeper than i expected without overleaping on anything else and still letting the voices shine like nothing i've heard before. 
I'll try it out with a hybrid cable in a couple of days to see if it changes something, but it's a funny feeling to go to the sales section and to skip it in 2min because of lack of interest haha

Go for it Mimouille
(it's a bit like a fresh oyster you eat at the seaside along with your glass of fresh Chablis....exceptionnel) 

I always wonder the the mid position of H8 is, and how is the treble extension. because -12 db is really quite a lot.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,433 of 4,065
How does the 10 driver model differ from H8P?

Thank you Tupac for keeping us up to date with your thoughts.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,434 of 4,065
  How does the 10 driver model differ from H8P?

Thank you Tupac for keeping us up to date with your thoughts.

if you talking about the Anzu model, then sadly this is made for me only :<  though i don't mind the others getting it but its Peter and LE's decision. 

it wasn't the 1st project though, peter always love to take these challenges and achieve the customer's dreams ^^ 

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,435 of 4,065
Thanks Tupac, reading your impressions got me real excited and stopped doubting my decision.(bass, mostly::)
Piotr is shipping it so i get it when back from holiday mond tue this week:thumbsup:

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,436 of 4,065

if you talking about the Anzu model, then sadly this is made for me only :<  though i don't mind the others getting it but its Peter and LE's decision. 

it wasn't the 1st project though, peter always love to take these challenges and achieve the customer's dreams ^^ 

So this is like a kind of "custom make" project, right? Not sure whether this apply to everyone or not....

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #1,437 of 4,065

So this is like a kind of "custom make" project, right? Not sure whether this apply to everyone or not....

in my case i wasn't happy about the fact that i paid 1500$ on the Mentor for that Treble's extension and Bass quality, companies products aim to satisfy all but not one person so if you want more you can't have it.

didn't wana call it a game, specially that i am a CIEM guy, there were no company that wanted to give me the sound i wanted nor that they will make it as good as the main products.....

Thanks to peter i did get what i want for even half the price not that i mind paying, but if it wasn't him i would been stuck with a CIEM that isn't what i would call a game...

so depend on the reason why you apply for a project and the time that does peter have you might get a chance to get a project :p 

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,438 of 4,065
  in my case i wasn't happy about the fact that i paid 1500$ on the Mentor for that Treble's extension and Bass quality, companies products aim to satisfy all but not one person so if you want more you can't have it.

didn't wana call it a game, specially that i am a CIEM guy, there were no company that wanted to give me the sound i wanted nor that they will make it as good as the main products.....

Thanks to peter i did get what i want for even half the price not that i mind paying, but if it wasn't him i would been stuck with a CIEM that isn't what i would call a game...

so depend on the reason why you apply for a project and the time that does peter have you might get a chance to get a project :p 

Interesting indeed..... Well, let me settle down with my H8P first before start to think of "project"...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back