New - Cowon Plenue S
Aug 10, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #706 of 1,158
  I totally understand Sound Eq...it's a ridiculous setup and certainly not an on-the-go piece that you stick in your pocket.

I'm listening to IEM's (Rhapsodio Solar, Oriolus MK2, Roxanne, Original acrylic K10's) using a 2.5mm AK-TRRS w/an Aclear Porta ...and the SQ is indescribably awesome! I've only had it for a day or so and I still need to dink w/the UI to fully understand it. The UI BTW is AWESOME! Lag-free and smooth.

wow amazing

can i ask please how does the alo cdm sound I have been so curious about it for a long time, does it have good bass, how is its the soundstage ?

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #707 of 1,158
For previous owners of the P1, is the verdict still that the S sounds very similar? Some improvement in soundstage and amp power. I only use IEMs.

Yup, I know we've conversed over in the P1 thread, but the single-ended output of the S sounds very similar to the P1. There's a bit more treble sparkle with the S, but I think that primarily would affect low-impedance IEMs. The sound signatures and quality are so close that IMO unless you need the extra power or balanced output of the S, I'd stick with the P1.

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #708 of 1,158
  I totally understand Sound Eq...it's a ridiculous setup and certainly not an on-the-go piece that you stick in your pocket.

I'm listening to IEM's (Rhapsodio Solar, Oriolus MK2, Roxanne, Original acrylic K10's) using a 2.5mm AK-TRRS w/an Aclear Porta ...and the SQ is indescribably awesome! I've only had it for a day or so and I still need to dink w/the UI to fully understand it. The UI BTW is AWESOME! Lag-free and smooth.

Absolutely gorgeous 

I want a battery operated system like this to take from room to room and out in the backyard , on vacation etc...

Enjoy

Now how about some comparisons Plenue s solo Vs the stack
popcorn.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #709 of 1,158
I gotta listen a bit more...all my cables are terminated in 2.5mm TRRS. So with the Plenue S, I have to connect to an Aclear Porta (which doesn't change the sound signature at all) then connect to to the S. 

The amp is very powerful and can get to uncomfortable levels with IEM's. I don't have HP's anymore, couldn't tell you it's driving ability with cans. 

The EQ is the best I've ever experienced and extremely versatile. With most of the music I listen to, the 'Techno' setting is perfect for my taste. Crystal clear awesome detail and strong, yet controlled bass (not muddy but deep and defined)

I do believe in 'burn in' and I bought it used...I'm not sure how many hrs. are on it. After about an hour of listening the sound get SO GOOD that I wonder how it would be possible to find anything better?

I've had the Sony NW-ZX2, QP1R, DP-X1, AK120, AK240, ibasso DX100 and a variety of iPod's. This is definitely the best DAP I've heard so far. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #710 of 1,158
Thought I'd take the opportunity of the front page discount to try out some DSD. 

Plenue S -> SilverFi IEM-R2 -> Zeus-XIV. Gotta say, not bad
redface.gif
 Thought that DSD stuff might be overrated, but it does add a sense of realism and naturalness. Blacker background, high resolution, nice!

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #711 of 1,158
Most notable to me with dsd is the expanded sound stage and instrument separation

I have 6 Albums in 92/24 that I repurchased in dsd

The plenue s sound Meter is not displayed when using dsd in my unit also the plenue does a 6db gain for dsd

Which I believe can be defeated

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #712 of 1,158
Yup, I know we've conversed over in the P1 thread, but the single-ended output of the S sounds very similar to the P1. There's a bit more treble sparkle with the S, but I think that primarily would affect low-impedance IEMs. The sound signatures and quality are so close that IMO unless you need the extra power or balanced output of the S, I'd stick with the P1.

You think on the balanced end, the difference is significant for IEMs?

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #713 of 1,158
Most notable to me with dsd is the expanded sound stage and instrument separation

I have 6 Albums in 92/24 that I repurchased in dsd

The plenue s sound Meter is not displayed when using dsd in my unit also the plenue does a 6db gain for dsd

Which I believe can be defeated

That is normal but I do wish they would patch up the sound meter for DSD. However EQ does NOT work as manipulation is done in PCM and DSD does not work like that.
Though theoretically it could be done if we convert to PCM and then back to DSD but has to be on the fly which is too much processing power for DAP's...

Most DAC's apply a 3-6dB bump for DSD playback 

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #714 of 1,158
  That is normal but I do wish they would patch up the sound meter for DSD. However EQ does NOT work as manipulation is done in PCM and DSD does not work like that.
Though theoretically it could be done if we convert to PCM and then back to DSD but has to be on the fly which is too much processing power for DAP's...

Most DAC's apply a 3-6dB bump for DSD playback 

Thank you harmonix
I was starting to think there was something wrong with my player. It makes sense.  This player really needs to be EQ'ed although some of my DSD's sound amazing (rolling stones SACD collection).  Weird last night I listened to the Cars 1st album in 192/24 and DSD and the 194/24 sounded significantly better.  The DSD version of this album sounded muffled and congested with no sparkle. The 192/24 sounded brighter and more engaging while still maintaining the bass impact (even unequalized )  

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #715 of 1,158
Cowon has one of the best EQs.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #716 of 1,158
Cowon has one of the best EQs.

Without a doubt !  

You can really alter the stock warm sound of the dap and add a bit of sparkle. Many options, some I don't understand yet but I'll get it down.  The Ui is also amazing no lag and extremely intuitive. Very well built. Very fun to use 

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #717 of 1,158
You think on the balanced end, the difference is significant for IEMs?

It's noticeable, mainly as better separation and instrument placement. I hesitate to use this language, but it's a bit more "holographic." It's not a night-and-day difference, but I certainly noticed it.

However, is it worth a 50-70% price increase plus the cost of balanced cables? I personally don't think so.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #719 of 1,158
Hi everyone,

I received my plenue S today and despite the fact that the sound is great , I just saw that the screen is like "burned" with the Play, previous & next symbol of the theme a and a few other things.
Does anyone of you have those kind of problems with the screen or is it a defect on my unit or will it disappear (magical screen :frowning2: )?

Thank you for your help .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back