New Cowon Plenue L
Jan 24, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #76 of 668
Sorry I dont. All I do is transfer various formatted music onto my players.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #78 of 668
I'm a bit obsessed with PL now lol!!!! Don't listen to classical music, but seems that a few high res DSD I have are of those genre. Was comparing some tunes yesterday (like Schubert String Quartet No. 14 in D minor, DSD128 DFF file), and relatively to LPGT, SPK SS, and DX208Ti, the soundstage expansion (width/depth/height) and the sound dynamics (vertical expansion) is among the best. Don't mistake this with me saying "it sounds better than any of those DAPs", just with high res DSD and its native decoding, PL is on a whole different level, probably courtesy of ES9038Pro. Listening from 4.4mm BAL, while 3.5mm SE sound quality is not the same, noticeable difference with sound quality scaling up when going balanced.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #79 of 668
I'm a bit obsessed with PL now lol!!!! Don't listen to classical music, but seems that a few high res DSD I have are of those genre. Was comparing some tunes yesterday (like Schubert String Quartet No. 14 in D minor, DSD128 DFF file), and relatively to LPGT, SPK SS, and DX208Ti, the soundstage expansion (width/depth/height) and the sound dynamics (vertical expansion) is among the best. Don't mistake this with me saying "it sounds better than any of those DAPs", just with high res DSD and its native decoding, PL is on a whole different level, probably courtesy of ES9038Pro. Listening from 4.4mm BAL, while 3.5mm SE sound quality is not the same, noticeable difference with sound quality scaling up when going balanced.
Nice

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #80 of 668
Approximately 0.01% of my music exists in DSD.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #82 of 668
The Plenue L, our first impressions and some nice pics, now online.

https://www.headfonia.com/picture-sunday-cowon-plenue-l/
Nice write up and I just tried the L in 4.4 balanced. For years, years I have always added an amp with my daps and phones. Even the Hugo and Mojo I enjoy them with an amp. My favorite dap the Cayin N8 I prefer using it single ended with an amp over its powerful balance option. Well I connected my TH900 directly into the Ls 4.4 and boy does it sound great! I have no idea the numbers but its plenty powerful and its pushing the TH900 very well. On top of pushing its making my TH90P sound top notch, actually loving it a lot. Musical, depth, darkness, detailed and a huge sound stage.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #83 of 668
OK, Tried the 4.4 today, and wow. I didnt expect its 4.4 would sound this good. I usually use an amp and on the 4.4 its not just powerful but the sound is, mmmm, sounding buttery good.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #84 of 668
20190127_200456.jpg

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #85 of 668
20190127_200420.jpg

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #86 of 668
OK, Tried the 4.4 today, and wow. I didnt expect its 4.4 would sound this good. I usually use an amp and on the 4.4 its not just powerful but the sound is, mmmm, sounding buttery good.

The balanced output of PL sounds noticeably better than its single ended one. And its 4.05Vrms output translates roughly into a little over 500 mW (@ 32ohm load) of power.

Btw, I went through all of its 6 digital filters and I can't hear any difference in sound.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #87 of 668
The balanced output of PL sounds noticeably better than its single ended one. And its 4.05Vrms output translates roughly into a little over 500 mW (@ 32ohm load) of power.

Btw, I went through all of its 6 digital filters and I can't hear any difference in sound.
I tried three and heard a difference in the bass, how long the bass rumbles. One made the bass rumble but for a short amount of time.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #88 of 668
I tried three and heard a difference in the bass, how long the bass rumbles. One made the bass rumble but for a short amount of time.

Which earphones/headphones? I was using U18t, its bass doesn't have too much rumble to begin with, so might try something else. With U18t I'm having a hard time picking up any difference. I want to say going from Fast (min) to Slow (min) there is a little difference in attack/speed of the sound, but I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect of me looking at "fast" vs "slow" lol!

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #89 of 668
Which earphones/headphones? I was using U18t, its bass doesn't have too much rumble to begin with, so might try something else. With U18t I'm having a hard time picking up any difference. I want to say going from Fast (min) to Slow (min) there is a little difference in attack/speed of the sound, but I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect of me looking at "fast" vs "slow" lol!
TH900 , JVC 10000.

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #90 of 668
TH900 , JVC 10000.

Good ears man! I just switched to Solaris and can definitely hear the effect. It's still subtle and feels like a band-pass filter where only sub-bass/mid-bass is being affected, upper mids and treble stay unchanged. But there is definitely a change in sub-bass rumble when switching between these digital filters of ES9038Pro. Fast/linear is what I prefer personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back